Forum upgrade is complete...

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

No there isn't, the nearest is to have a daily email.

A lot of people requested that the software be changed to email on EVERY reply. So that is what was done in the new version. I thought it was fine as it was, but some people do take a different view.
    However, there is now a request in to have it changed back to the former behaviour.
    "You should only get one email notification until you've returned to the board again, per vB2/3/4"

I guess this is one of those "can't please everyone" scenarios.

Just add both as an option. But I can't believe someone would want to be notified for every new post on an active thread like this one. The old way would be better.

4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    Options are nice..BUT, with the number of customers vBulletin has, you can easily end up with an option for everything, which makes things cluttered and slow.

A request is definitely in place for this functionality to be reverted back. Not sure if/when it'll be done. I don't make any of these decisions, I too preferred it as it was.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you seeing this? Are you able to take a screenshot?

In posts themselves, background is currently very light grey, with text in black. I also enlarged the font.

Today, it's a bit different, Better, sort of an orange/peach color.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    For now, go to your username at the top of the page, click it, and from the dropdown menu select "My Recent Posts". This gives you a list of recently updated threads that you have posted in.

When I do that, the list I get is many pages long. Unfortunately, the list is NOT sorted correctly... I want the most recent updates on top, but the sorting does not work right... I have to scan through several pages of list to see if there are any recent updates to threads I have posted in.

and, Yes, it is set to sort by last update and in descending order.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Just tried a personal message , I think that page needs a bit of work as the 'write here' are actually is to start a new topic and not an area for a personal message, you have to click on he 'message'' button over on the right side.. a bit confusing

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • westbranch
    For some reason I am getting a lot of "site not found' error messages today??? all day so far...on/ off in minutes, NSA again?

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I have not had any problems (comcast and cell phone) with the site.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    maybe our ISP or also, Telus is doing a lot of fiber optic cable work in the town these days

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Why not please everyone? Make this a user-configurable option.

--vtMaps

Use : https://xenforo.com/ and fix the problem
    As midnight evolved , this is DOS 101 .
  • vBulletin Support
    vtmaps wrote: »

When I do that, the list I get is many pages long. Unfortunately, the list is NOT sorted correctly... I want the most recent updates on top, but the sorting does not work right... I have to scan through several pages of list to see if there are any recent updates to threads I have posted in.

and, Yes, it is set to sort by last update and in descending order.

--vtMaps

Not seen that before...I'll have to investigate and potenially log a bug, I've only ever seen it in the right order but if it's not showing that way, there's an issue somewhere.
  • vBulletin Support
    westbranch wrote: »
    For some reason I am getting a lot of "site not found' error messages today??? all day so far...on/ off in minutes, NSA again?
    BB. wrote: »
    I have not had any problems (comcast and cell phone) with the site.

-Bill
    maybe our ISP or also, Telus is doing a lot of fiber optic cable work in the town these days

I've had no problems accessing the site, suspect as has been pointed out, may be a connection issue.
  • vBulletin Support
    Just tried a personal message , I think that page needs a bit of work as the 'write here' are actually is to start a new topic and not an area for a personal message, you have to click on he 'message'' button over on the right side.. a bit confusing

Not sure what page you're going to there.

To send a new message, click on "Messages" at the top, and then "Compose New" on the left.
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I am having a problem with the most current posts not updating on the forum homepage. I can see the posts if I go to “today’s posts” or look under the individual topics. I have made no changes to my settings, ever..used to work but for the past 2 days not showing the most current posts? Am I the only one? Also it happens whether or not I'm signed into my account. Have tried other computers with the same result?
  • vBulletin Support
    I am having a problem with the most current posts not updating on the forum homepage. I can see the posts if I go to “today’s posts” or look under the individual topics. I have made no changes to my settings, ever..used to work but for the past 2 days not showing the most current posts? Am I the only one? Also it happens whether or not I'm signed into my account. Have tried other computers with the same result?

The results there tend to be cached. I'll try shortening the cache time.
  • BB.
    Do see a strange sorting error on the Today's Posts screen:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/search?searchJSON={"last":{"from":"lastDay"},"view":"topic","starter_only":+1,"sort":{"lastcontent":"desc"},"exclude_type":["vBForum_PrivateMessage","vBForum_VisitorMessage","vBForum_Report","vBForum_Redirect"]}

Here is a copy of the middle of the page. Note that the second result is from Feb 12th, the ones above and below are from Feb 13th.

Started by Alaska Man, February 11th, 2015, 11:07 in Off Grid Solar & Battery Systems

7 responses
    0 likes

default_avatar_thumb.png by CALLD
    February 13th, 2015, 6:03

Sizing an off-grid system for a summer cabin - please help
    Started by jhauger, February 12th, 2015, 11:30 in Off Grid Solar & Battery Systems

6 responses
    0 likes

default_avatar_thumb.png by westbranch
    February 12th, 2015, 16:36

VFD/Soft start ?
    Started by Arkansasoffgrid, February 4th, 2015, 8:36 in Solar Water Pumping

12 responses
    0 likes

image.php?userid=6662&thumb=1&dateline=1314837779 by waynefromnscanada
    February 13th, 2015, 2:04

Low-Amp WASHER
    Started by cupcake, February 12th, 2015, 19:26 in Off Grid Solar & Battery Systems

2 responses
    0 likes

image.php?userid=6662&thumb=1&dateline=1314837779 by waynefromnscanada

But there is really a new post from Feb 13th (that I have not read before, and is in the thread if I click on it:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/solar-electric-power-wind-power-balance-of-system/off-grid-solar-battery-systems/330724-sizing-an-off-grid-system-for-a-summer-cabin-please-help?p=330812#post330812
    February 13th, 2015, 5:45

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tweak..the post are now staying current..at least on my end
  • westbranch
    BILL>>>> how does one change their signature line? Have snooped the options and can not find it...???

• vBulletin Support
    BILL>>>> how does one change their signature line? Have snooped the options and can not find it...???

Username at the top > User Settings > Account.

About half way down is an "Edit Post Signature" link.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your support MARK! :D

Seems to work pretty good from here, got the new post thing straightened out it looks like.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Upgrade? What upgrade?
    There were a few flaws in the old version that needed fixing. Instead vBulletin has changed the entire look & feel of the software to something that is truly ugly, and introduced so many new problems that 14 pages doesn't even cover them all.
    The idea of an 'upgrade', people, is to fix what's wrong; not to make the thing a dysfunctional mess.

I sure hope NAWS hasn't paid one dime for this version as it is utter crap. It should be removed and reverted back to the one that worked.
  • BB.
    Mark,

The right mouse click when editing in the Posting Editor is popping up fairly often for me too when trying to spell check. If you can plead with the software powers that be to turn off the editor right mouse click override--Please have them do it. I am not sure, but for longer posts, the 2 entry right click menu seems to happen more often (or just may be more spelling errors in longer posts).

-Bill
  • westbranch
    Bill, I have found that clicking outside that annoying box and re-clicking on the misspell gets the proper box to appears...grrr

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holding the LEFT SHIFT key down while right clicking for spell correction, WORKS.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vBulletin Support
    Not much I can really do on editor stuff. There's a bug report over the spellcheck thing but it hasn't got very far because it would require further hacking of the third party editor that's used...that invariably breaks other stuff, so it's more work than it sounds.
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    Odod, all I does is righth slick and hit spelld chack, wroks find ??? ---. Seriously .
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    New software isn't preventing double (or quadruple) thread creation. See 1st and 2nd pages: http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/solar-electric-power-wind-power-balance-of-system/solar-beginners-corner
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • BB.
    Mark fixed a problem with the Database indexes last night. I think that may have generated these multiple posts/threads.

I am going to leave this alone for the moment so that Mark can address this problem from his side (and I do not confuse the issues).

Thank you Techntrek.

-Bill

Started by zyzio, February 15th, 2015, 16:30 in Solar Beginners Corner

0 responses
    0 likes

default_avatar_thumb.png by zyzio
    February 15th, 2015, 16:30

24V hydro wind solar system - need help
    Started by zyzio, February 15th, 2015, 16:28 in Solar Beginners Corner

0 responses
    0 likes

February 15th, 2015, 16:28

Deleted: 24V hydro wind solar system - need help
    Started by zyzio, February 15th, 2015, 16:27 in Solar Beginners Corner

Manage
    Topic deleted by BB.
    Reason: Duplicate--Possible VB software error

hydro wind solar system 24V - need help
    Started by zyzio, February 15th, 2015, 16:25 in Solar Beginners Corner

0 responses
    0 likes

February 15th, 2015, 16:25

hydro wind solar system 24V - need help
    Started by zyzio, February 15th, 2015, 16:24 in Solar Beginners Corner

0 responses
    0 likes

February 15th, 2015, 16:24

Deleted: hydro wind solar system 24V around 1500w - need help
    Started by zyzio, February 15th, 2015, 16:19 in Solar Beginners Corner

Manage
    Topic deleted by BB.
    Reason: Duplicates...

hydro wind solar system 24V around 1500w - need help
    Started by zyzio, February 15th, 2015, 16:17 in Solar Beginners Corner

0 responses
    0 likes

February 15th, 2015, 16:17

• BB.
    I should add that Mike's Left Shift key solution works perfectly for right mouse spelling corrections (when needed) on FireFox and Windows machine.

-Bill
  • vBulletin Support
    Those were made sufficiently far apart that the software wouldn't pick it up, and they had different thread titles. The people posting them have made them twice for whatever reason.

The flood check is set to 30 seconds, so anything posted further apart than that, won't get flagged up and blocked.
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    I should add that Mike's Left Shift key solution works perfectly for right mouse spelling corrections (when needed) on FireFox and Windows machine.

-Bill

I am using explorer and have no problems with the spell check, Just an FYI.
This discussion has been closed.