Forum upgrade is complete...

Comments

• vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    gww1 wrote: »

I Would never speak for the owners and if MY above quote comes out not looking like an ad I think it is already like it was. If you push the big A on the replie, it gives a list of things you can do. The old replie box came up automatically. I would right click, copy then paste in quote marks. I think it is hear but just doesn't look the same.

I might be slow on the uptake. here goes
    gww
    Your issue there was that you missed the ']' mark off the end of the quote tags, so it won't show up correctly.

You can still quote the way you described, you just have to press the "A" over on the right side of the editor to drop down the buttons. Probably the add on I mentioned would be a better way of doing this...let's install it and see what people think.
  • vBulletin Support
    Ok it's installed.

Simply highlight some text in a post, and you'll see a QUOTE button pop up next to where you've highlighted. Press that button, and the highlighted text is quoted in the reply box.
    Much easier.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    At this point, lets get the software, and our understanding of how the software , with Mark's help going first.

Any "nice to have" and seen on other forums, please feel free to submit and flat with "Nice to Add" or similar. We can spend a few days collecting that information and ask NAWS for their help in seeing what would be possible.

None of us Moderators work for NAWS (we are all volunteers here too). And Mark's time is best used in "fixing" forum issues at this point. David and Rick from NAWS are very interested in keeping the forum going and user/poster friendly. They do what they can to help too.

Thank you,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    And here Mark goes above and Beyond with a very nice plug--in for quoting. Nice going Mark! Very cool. :D

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vBulletin Support
    BB. wrote: »
    And here Mark goes above and Beyond with a very nice plug--in for quoting. Nice going Mark! Very cool. :D

-Bill
    It's a quick installation so I thought it worthwhile to try it out. Easy enough to remove later if for any reason it's not required.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second way is to use the general attachment icon on the right. It's like a piece of paper with a paperclip.
    This will give you the option to insert your photos into the post, and specify a size.

I was using this second method. using this method you are given 2 options.

Option 1 is to pull from another web site, just add the url of the photo;
    Attachment not found.
    Please note as I said before, the old default was to host the image on the forums computer, but now the default is to load from the other web site.
    Retrieve remote file and reference locally

The second way is to upload a photo, this worked the second time I tried, but did give me the same message;

Attachment not found.

Well this time it worked quickly, perhaps it just took to much time, but the other image was small @100kb, this was under 16kb

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Now I just changed 'to' to 'too' in the previous post and it has changed on my screen, yet I still have a "working" yellow box at the top and a swirling mouse icon
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    BTW - Thanks for helping out!
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    's a quick installation so I thought it worthwhile to try it out. Easy enough to remove later if for any reason it's not required

Thank you very much for taking the time. I hate new but you guys are really great about it. I have took years to figure out how to do things and had to ask many times. This process though probly at your expence has actually made my looking at other forums easier cause I never knew things like going to the last post till now. I really apretiate how you guys are handling this,
    gww
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gww1 wrote: »
    ..... I closed the internet .....
    That's whats wrong ! :)

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    I'll add something I noticed is missing - the links to jump to pages in a multi-page thread, on the list of threads in each sub-forum. I do see the "jump to last post" link but that isn't the same. If you haven't been around here in a few days you usually need to jump to the 2nd to last page to catch up.

I see the lack of the mark that shows you've made a post in a thread has been mentioned. I disagree it would be so hard to add back in, as was asserted, just saying as someone who programs web apps for a living. But, maybe the new architecture makes it harder, I've seen that in legacy code.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    A quick note, I just went to page 1 of a thread, and when I clicked on the page 2 link at the top-right, the ajax routine threw an error that said something like "unable to contact server". After that pressing the page links did nothing until I reloaded the page.

Edit: and now I just noticed that under the user's name on the left side the "posts" count isn't the user's total posts to date, it is actually the post count for that specific post. My prior post says 1278 and this one says 1279. This item is useful to help figure out how long someone has been on the forum and how active (along with the join date). Now if someone reads an old post from someone it will look like they haven't been around much.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|||||||||||||||||\\\\\\\\\
  • BB.
    CDN_VT,

I am not sure what your question/issue is with double spacing and overly large?

Many browsers allow you to change font size by hitting <control>+ or <control>- ... At least for for Firefox on Windows. Also, I have seen holding the <control> button and rolling the Mouse Wheel will enlarge or reduce text.

On minor "fix" for me would be to make the User Element (avatar, user name, number of posts and such) smaller... For many posts, the size of the individual post is governed by the size of the User Element.

To get to the new posts/last posts... When you hit the Today's Posts or New Posts, there are two navigation buttons that do different things.

On the left side (near "page graphic/left side of thread title) you will see a small blue down arrow. If you hover the mouse, it will tell you that it goes to "first new post". Click on this, and you will go to the first new post.

On the right side, you will see a double right arrow >> near Poster's Name. That one will take you to the last post in the thread.

Both of those navigation tools have been here "forever" (as far as I know). The first new post is there when you have new posts in the thread. If you revisit a thread (no new posts), then only the >> got to end of thread navigation tool is there.

-Bill
  • vBulletin Support
    Photowhit wrote: »

I was using this second method. using this method you are given 2 options.

Option 1 is to pull from another web site, just add the url of the photo;

Please note as I said before, the old default was to host the image on the forums computer, but now the default is to load from the other web site.

The second way is to upload a photo, this worked the second time I tried, but did give me the same message;

Well this time it worked quickly, perhaps it just took to much time, but the other image was small @100kb, this was under 16kb
    If you use the "Image" button from the dropped down editor toolbar, that's designed to "hotlink" images from other websites using tags. It does have a tickbox to allow you to "pull" the image and upload it to the forum server.  The button I was referring to doesn't require the editor toolbar to be dropped down, it's one of the three over on the right. There's a smiley, an "A", and then it's the one to the left of that.
  • vBulletin Support
    techntrek wrote: »
    I'll add something I noticed is missing - the links to jump to pages in a multi-page thread, on the list of threads in each sub-forum.

That unfortunately isn't in vB5. A decision was taken early on not to add it in. I don't know why. There's an outstanding feature request to have it added back in but at present there's no work being done on this.
  • vBulletin Support
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Now I just changed 'to' to 'too' in the previous post and it has changed on my screen, yet I still have a "working" yellow box at the top and a swirling mouse icon
    This happens occasionally, chances are the server wasn't responding properly at that time. The "working" box just means a response is being awaited from the server.
  • froggersix
    froggersix Solar Expert Posts: 35
    very messy layout needs lots of extra clicks to see or do anything hard to find stuff and things don't work.
    no good.
  • BB.
    I am getting used to the forum (been very busy here the last couple of days), but I do agree that it would be very nice if "blank spaces" were reduced and scrolling was not needed so much.

Also--For anyone trying register on the forum, there was a 1/2 day where the server was displaying a "server error" message when trying to register... That is how been fixed.

-Bill "Moderator" B.
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I use the message counter to see how many posts I have missed since my last visit. It’s a pain to have to remember to click on ‘forums’ at the top left to get this counter to come up. Is there a way to make it be shown by default?
  • vBulletin Support
    I use the message counter to see how many posts I have missed since my last visit. It&#146;s a pain to have to remember to click on &#145;forums&#146; at the top left to get this counter to come up. Is there a way to make it be shown by default?
    Not sure which counter you're referring to there.
  • Aguarancher
    Not sure which counter you're referring to there.

this one:Topics: 19,096 Posts: 199,118 Members: 6,599 Active Members: 364
  • Aguarancher
    it used to be at the bottom of the page by default, now you have to click on "Forums" at the top left side of the page to make it appear..just a pain
  • vBulletin Support
    Oh I see.

That was always only on the front page by default....where did you access it from before?
  • Aguarancher
    it used to be at the bottom of the homepage on the old version of the software, but to see members online you had to log in which I don't always do.
  • vBulletin Support
    it used to be at the bottom of the homepage on the old version of the software, but to see members online you had to log in which I don't always do.
    I'm still a little confused here...bottom of the home page (in terms of the forum home page) is exactly where it is now. It's largely a replication of what was on the previous version.
    Members Online probably has a "no guests" permission set, permissions such as that will be the same as they were previously as they are just carried over.
  • Aguarancher
    yes, the forum home page. when i first come on the site, if i don't click on forums at the top and then go to the bottom of the page it is blank, as in there is nothing?
  • Aguarancher
    on a positive note, my current time is now accurate, used to be off an hour as Az doesn't used daylights savings 8)
  • vBulletin Support
    yes, the forum home page. when i first come on the site, if i don't click on forums at the top and then go to the bottom of the page it is blank, as in there is nothing?
    I see what's happening now.

It's the link on the site's actual home page (http://www.solar-electric.com/) that says "Discussion Forum" in a big box. That link i's pointing to http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum.php which was the link to the forums home page on the old version. On the new version this redirects to the forum "channel", which doesn't have the box you refer to.

Needs the site owners to update that Discussion Forum link from http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum.php to just http://forum.solar-electric.com/. I don't have access to do that, but if they change it your issue will go away. :)
  • BB.
    You can set your time zone and daylight savings settings. In User settings.

-Bill
This discussion has been closed.