Honda EU2000i conversion to DC generator?

Options
90cummins
90cummins Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭
I acquired and rebuilt a Honda EU2000i that had a bad engine and have been thinking about ways to support my 24v battery bank directly with DC power.
Being 120v output only I cannot use it to support my inverter.
It operates by generating 200+- volts ac and rectify's it to DC which the internal inverter converts to 120v ac power.
My question; has anyone thought of bypassing the internal inverter to have a 24 or 48v output that can directly charge batteries.
90cummins

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Honda EU2000i conversion to DC generator?

As you know, you could use a transformer to step-up the 120 VAC output of the Honda genset to 240 VAC for the XW inverter.

OR, you could find a transformer that has 50 - 60 V AC output, add a full-wave rectifier, filter capacitors, and run this DC into a Charge Controller which could charge your batteries. OR, perhaps add a Variable Autotransformer on the input side of the transformer, and then you will be the CC, by watching the charge voltage and current.

But, to me, trying to adapt the Honda's three-phase alternator to battery charging is a bit of an engineering project, that might have disappointing results along the way.

YMMV, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

If the genset is working well... Just get a good AC charger or inverter-charger. The conversion losses are probably not that high vs the usefulness of 120 VAC power and auto/eco throttle.

Because is it three phase--You would need three transformers and 6 (minimum) diode rectifiers (plus heat sinks, etc.). Unless you have some very special application, it would seem not to be very practical or cost effective.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

NO. it won't work well as a DC charger.
    The generator windings are fine wires for high voltage. If you reduce the voltage, you are still limited by the current the windings will work at without burning up.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would ebay a slightly used 24 volt charger. Keep it simple.
    Then if one or the other quits working you can figure it out which is the offending item real easy.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Tiffany56 wrote: »
    Delete generator website spammer. -Bill
    Shop around, there are better deals to be found.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

In years past, I have used these folks for a couple Honda's:

www.wisesales.com
    www.mayberrys.com

Just a couple other places to research.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options

Electricgeneratordepot
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M