generator confusion

Options
elesaver
elesaver Solar Expert Posts: 185 ✭✭
The question: is an inverter generator necessary when it is going to be used primarily to re-charge a battery bank? Getting a "plain" generator is much less expensive, I think. I understand if this generator were to be used to directly power electronics, etc., that an inverter-type generator would be required. Just askin'.
1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Re: generator confusion

In general, any "decent" genset works for most all applications.

People talk about needing an inverter-generator for electronics--In reality, most modern electronics are very tolerent about their AC power... It is not uncommon for modern computer supplies to take anything from ~95 volts to 264 VAC, from 45-400 Hz, and even DC voltage (again, the details matter, not all power supplies have these capabilities--But many larger power supplies do).

And, in some cases, inverter-generators have been known to cause radio inference (HAM radio, etc.) because of the inverter's switching noise.

Where inverter-generators really are nice (the gasoline/propane powered ones) is that when operated below ~50% of rated output, they slow down the motor and are more fuel efficient (i.e, a Honda eu2000i will run ~4 hours on a gallon of fuel at 1,600 watts and around 9-10+ hours at 400 watts or less). The same genset without the inverter may run ~8 hours at anything less than ~800 watts of rated load).

When charging batteries, you may spend 1-2 hours at high current (charging to ~85% state of charge), but 2-6 hours at a declining current (as battery approaches 100% SOC) or during extended equalization (2-5% rate of charge vs 10-20% or so for typical AC battery charger setup).

If you have large loads that run for long periods of time (~50% or so minimum rated genset output), then even a standard genset will be just as fuel efficient or possibly even more fuel efficient than an inverter-genset.

Note that Inverter-Gensets generally have poor surge performance (motor starting)... And the "ECO" throttle (if "on") also hampers surge performance too.

For many--Get a smaller inverter-genset (i.e., ~2,000 watt or smaller) for small/random/varying loads... Genset will use much less fuel than the large (3.5, 5kW or larger) gensets. And get a larger genset for heavy power needs (charging a large battery bank that is below ~80% state of charge, large shop/power tools, etc.). Also gives you "backup" in case one genset fails.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • elesaver
    Options

Thanks for the info, BB. As with all things solar, it depends on what you are doing which dictates the generator size. The inverter information is good to know.
    1st system:  24Vsystem with 8 X 300W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 150, Outback VFX 3524 with mate, 2 X 12V  fforklift batteries in series 938 aH,  (Outback PSX transformer, Honda EU3000is...not currently hooked up but available if/when needed)

2nd system:  24V system with 4 X 310W panels, Midnite Solar combiner box, Midnite Solar mini-dc disconnect, Midnite Solar Classic 200, Cotek 1500W pure sine inverter, Trojan 125 batteries (8 available but "currently" using 4)

• Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options

My Xentrex was real particular about incoming AC, anything below 56 Hz and it shut down anything over 64 Hz same, same. The inverter/genns are very quiet, which is nice. I wouldn't want a 2 stroke screaming outside my door for 6-8 hours.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

One other consideration might be what you are using on the generator to charge the battery. On the outback forum, most of those who ran the grid tie outback inverters had issues getting any other generator to be accepted by the inverter due to the tight hertze and voltage requirements of the grid tie inverter. I have no experiance except by reading about others experiances. This is the only time or inverter that I know about, that this might be a consideration on.
    gww
  • BB.
    Options

If you have diesel--They run much more efficiently than Gasoline/Propane gensets at lower output ratings.

Old diesels ran "badly" at less than 40-60% of rated power--But one poster here said that modern diesels should not wet stack even at low loads. Don't know about cylinder glazing issues (lots of long, low output, power operation).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Any good genset with a decent governor, should work with good inverters. Heck, even my 1920's Listeroid works fine as my main genset, drops about 3 Hz from No Load to Full Load, but the inverter tracks it OK.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    Options

However, some families of AC inverters seem to have very "tight" frequency requirements (i.e., +/- 0.5 Hz). Which smaller mechanically governed AC generators have problems holding that tightly. In some cases, this is because the inverter may have been setup for Grid Tied (feeding back to the grid or as a "Hybrid" inverter--GT requires that tight of frequency spec.).

That has been one thing that has confused me about the Outback inverter families--Most seem to have tight frequency tolerances (when I last researched them a few years ago)... The only one that did not was an export model (120 VAC 60 Hz) for South America (not intended for sale in the US).

-Bill
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just don't get a single cylinder gasoline powered screamer like I have.
    The fuel consumption is more or less catastrophic. Sucking down the entire contents of its 8.5 gallon fuel tank in 11 hours at half load.
    You don't want one of these running for 2-6 hours guzzling fuel like now tomorrow while on declining current slope while bringing the batteries up to full charge.

How well one of these generators will work also depends on how you have your generator set up. I usually set mine to run a 62 to 63Hz because I hit it with massive power demands and that keep it recover speed and not drop off.
    A smart battery charger might be looking for 60Hz +/-1hz.

I am used to 4 pole, liquid cooled diesel generators that use less than half that and are far quieter.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• elesaver
    Options

The responses are all appreciated, for sure. One of the greater problems with a diesel generator, as I see it, is having another fuel source to store, monitor, etc. Propane would be a little less cumbersome perhaps since a 20 or 30 lb cylinder would be easy to handle. I also hate the smell of diesel fuel. :-(

• elesaver
    Options

Just took a quick search for "4 pole, liquid cooled diesel generators." We're talking some serious money! My pockets aren't deep enough. :-(

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe a little off topic, but possibly interesting to some on this forum:

Back when Canadian lighthouses were still manned and before solar electric sytems became commonplace, diesel generators were used for power.
    Originally, single cylinder 5 kw Listers were used and were run for 6 hours after which they were shut down for 6 hours and a second identical genset would take over for the next 6 hours.

In the 1970's, a different approach was taken. The 5kw Listers were replaced with 8.5 kw Listers (3 cylinders) that were equipped with a 35 gallon oil sump. Three such units would be installed in an electrically heated asbestos lined building.

The first of the three units would be started and would then continue to run continuously until it died at which point, the next one would start up and run until IT died. This interval could be up to a YEAR.

The logic being that stationary diesels take a real beating starting up cold and pounding away until they got up to speed.

Each lightstation was equipped with thousands of gallons of diesel fuel which needless to say, was expensive and messy. Spilled diesel fuel will kill a lawn for 20 years or more.

Since those days, most stations have eliminated the fog horns and a tiny 5 watt LED is used in place of the former 500 watt incandescent rotating beacon. The LED is powered by a single small solar panel and deep cycle battery of around 100Ah.

And for anyone interested in lighthouse trivia, "our" lighthouse ran a kerosene "Aladdin" lamp and reflector from 1907 until 1959.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    elesaver wrote: »
    Just took a quick search for "4 pole, liquid cooled diesel generators." We're talking some serious money! My pockets aren't deep enough. :-(

Yeah but they use less than half the fuel of an equal sized 3600rpm gasoline screamer.
    Lets say a 4 pole diesel 5.5kw uses about 8 gallons of diesel over 24 hours. That's about $25 worth of fuel.
    Running a gas 7kw screamer like mine for 24 hours will cost close to $40.
    So figure $15 per 24 hours or about $60 per 100 hours.

Added benefit with a stationary liquid cooled generator you could pump hot coolant into your home for some free heat during the cool months, hard to figure the value in that.

If you are real creative you could run the generators exhaust (air or liquid cooled) through a big diesel truck EGR cooler and extract more heat and pump it into your house.
    I have been wanting to try this on my pressure washer to get some free warm water but have not had time, then winter hit.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• 90cummins
    90cummins Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Options
    elesaver wrote: »
    The responses are all appreciated, for sure. One of the greater problems with a diesel generator, as I see it, is having another fuel source to store, monitor, etc. Propane would be a little less cumbersome perhaps since a 20 or 30 lb cylinder would be easy to handle. I also hate the smell of diesel fuel. :-(

Propane has less btu content than gasoline or diesel. Running a propane generator off a small propane tank would not work in cold temperatures because of the low evaporation rate and limited surface area.
    Diesel while smelly is easily obtained thru auto delivery or 5 gallon purchases and is safely stored for long periods.
    Propane is more difficult & expensive to obtain & store large quantities.
    90cummins
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Propane = 90000 btus/gallon
    Gasoline = 120000 btus/gallon
    Kerosene = 135000 btus/gallon
    Diesel = 140000 btus/gallon

If you buy your propane in August, the best prices are available. Prices vary each and every year. Bulk pricing starts around 150 gallons...or so. Propanes lasts for decades - a sizable advantage.

Unbeknownst to many: Propane comes with refinery contaminates, just as gas and diesel, that can junk things up. In addition, rubber propane hoses are very prone to leaching contaminates that will junk things up. So why have I not purchased any propane filters yet? Because I can only buy a couple items/week I guess.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries