Energy Efficient 120 VAC Fridges vs Sunfrost DC Fridge

Graham Parkinson
Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
We have been looking for an 18 cu ft fridge/freezer that we can run continuously during the 6 month sunnier part of the year in the otherwise cloudy coastal PNW on a 48 V 550 AH battery off grid vacation home installation with 2Kw panels.

We have been looking around and found the annual CEE refrigerator power listings (manufacturer supplied ...)at http://library.cee1.org/sites/default/files/library/9349/2014_December_16_CEE_ResidentialRefrigerator_web.xlsx

We have identified two options:

a) Sunfrost R16 48 VDC model - likely around $3500 with shipping to Canada ....Yikes ( but nice as no inverter idle draw or worries about not behaving well with inverter startup etc.)

b) Finding the most efficient, most well behaved (manual defrost, low parasitic control loads, tolerant of inverter search mode low starting surge etc. ) 120 VAC fridge with annual draw around 360 Kwh/yr as quoted in the CEE listing:

The most efficient models in the CEE list with vol >17 Cu ft are:

Brand | Model | Config | Defrost | Cu.ft | Adj. Cu | kWh/year
Gaggenau RC472701 Single Door Automatic 17.20 17.20 310
Thermador T30IR800SP Single Door Automatic 17.20 17.20 310
GE GTE18CCH Top Freezer Automatic 17.53 20.59 358
GE GTE18CTH Top Freezer Automatic 17.53 20.59 358
GE GTE18GMH Top Freezer Automatic 17.53 20.59 358
GE GTE18GSH Top Freezer Automatic 17.53 20.59 358
GE GTE18GTH Top Freezer Automatic 17.53 20.59 358
GE GTE18LGH Top Freezer Automatic 17.53 20.59 358
GE GTE18LMH Top Freezer Automatic 17.53 20.59 358
GE GTE18LSH Top Freezer Automatic 17.53 20.59 358
Frigidaire FGHT1846Q Top Freezer Automatic 18.08 21.10 363
Frigidaire LFHT1831Q Top Freezer Automatic 18.08 21.10 363
Frigidaire LGHT1846Q Top Freezer Automatic 18.08 21.10 363
GE Monogram ZIR360NH Single Door Automatic 21.97 21.97 363
GE Monogram ZIRP360NH Single Door Automatic 21.97 21.97 363

Has anybody got any actual real world experience with running any of these models or comparable refrigerators on a 2 kw panel system with an 3-4kw outback or magnasine class offgrid inverter system? We were thinking of something like an GTE18CC fridge which retails for only about US$700.

The 368Kw-h/yr it draws is about 980 w-h/day which should be doable with our system.

It seems that there are numerous details of the design of AC fridges that affect how they perform in a real world off grid situation and in this situation you can't try before you buy.

The other possibility are the LG, Panasonic and Samsung inverter fridges but these don't seem to be in this CEE listing and I wonder about their always on power draw tendencies and additional inverter losses if they don't cycle fully off.

Thanks for any advice from two hopeful off grid islanders!:p

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500

Comments

• ramloui
    ramloui Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Re: Energy Efficient 120 VAC Fridges vs Sunfrost DC Fridge

Hello Graham!
    Here is my 2 cents...
    If you are worried about the demand of an AC fridge, how many additional panels/batteries could you buy with 3500$ - 700$ = 2800$? Yes, not having to worry about the inverter tare load is nice but it looks like you are going to have an inverter anyway. Your proposed system will provide about 6.6 kWh per day (50% DOD max, 2 days autonomy, not counting losses/inefficiencies). That is a significant amount of power for an off-grid system. Moderator Bill (BB) suggests that a 3.3 kWh per day system can support an energy star fridge so you are certainly well into the comfort zone.

A fridge is one of the largest load in a house so, unless you have other large loads planned, I think the AC fridge is the way to go. Plus, a fridge does not last forever. You will be a lot less heartbroken when the AC fridge fails compared to the DC fridge.
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Some notes on running a standard refrigerator off-grid in Canada from someone who has been doing it for the past twelve years now.

1). For the cost of the Sunfrost you can build up the solar power system to something capable of running anything you throw at it.

2). Even an inefficient refrigerator can be started off a 2kW or larger sine inverter. Any Outback will do it without so much as a blip. Under 2kW it becomes a question of how good the inverter and wiring are.

3). "Most efficient" isn't going to buy you much advantage as the real amount of energy used will be quite different from the lab test results. Expect in the neighbourhood of 1.2kW hours per day. That's what most of the decent units I tested would use under typical conditions. The 980 Watt hours per day you list isn't much different than this.

4). It is not hard to supply the needed power off-grid except in Winter when we just plain run out of sun up here (yesterday: 7 hours 46 minutes total daylight, less time it spent hiding behind mountains).

5). Never mind the standby mode of the inverter. Most of the day it will need to be on to run other things, so that leaves maybe 12 hours of operating in standby at night. During that time the refrigerator will be on approximately 1/3 of the time anyway. Actual inverter off time in a 24 hour period: 4 hours, a savings of 80 Watt hours. Big deal. What is more any refrigerator with fancy electronic controls will get screwed up with the power shut off and will have to start over every time it comes back on. Plan the system for constant power.

Up until this past year I ran with only 700 Watts of panels on my 232 Amp hour 24 Volt system. It worked fine for everything. The main reason I installed the system was to ditch the propane back in 2002 and it was well worth it for the extra 'frige space and lower operating cost (a tank of 20 lbs. now lasts a month instead of a week). The added value of electricity for everything else including water pump, septic system, and satellite Internet access has been well worth it.

This past year I added 520 Watts of panels to start charging earlier in the day. I now have plenty of daylight power and could increase my battery capacity for more nighttime power (as yet not required). Batteries are still fine though (5 years old), so have no intention of replacing them.

You've got 2kW of PV. That should be enough for 320 Amp hours @ 48 Volts which is more than double what I've got. You're looking at 6kW hours AC stored power there @ 50% DOD. Should be no trouble running a refrigerator. Except in Winter. Understand that in Winter the generator will be required.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Another thing you might consider is converting a freezer to a fridge. Works great for me. Have converted several over the last 10 years, one for my cousin's camp, the rest for me looking for what's best for me. In every case the freezer is far better insulated (the reason I went that route) AND a lot cheaper to purchase. I ended up being most satisfied with a vertical 10 cu ft energy star unit with no fancy electronics.
    It's power consumption? Roughly 300 watt hours per 24 hour day. That's 0.3 kwh/day.
    I run it VERY near the freezing point and can't believe how much longer things last compared to a "normal" fridge that runs around 40F.
    Downside? There can be excess moisture buildup during high humidity Summer weather, but that drains through a small hole I drilled through the bottom, where it drips into a tray and evaporates. But there is a + side to this higher humidity - - - vegies that normally very quickly dry out and wilt in a normal fridges so called crisper, will last a very long time. Carrots for example will keep like new for months if need be.
    For me, the upsides so outweigh the downsides, that I cannot see ever going back to a normal fridge.
    But, as always, to each his or her own.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Don't have specific data on those models, but just yesterday tested a real world big new expensive high end fridge at a customer's house and couldn't believe it only pulled 2 amps AC with the doors open! The fridge companies have finally got their act together. No wonder our utility is paying a bounty on old fridges. Can't see how Sunfrost is going to keep going when standard fridges are doing much more efficient and PV is getting cheap.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Uh, 2 Amps @ 120 VAC is 240 Watts. My old "inefficient" 'frige draws 120-130 while running, 500 in defrost.

Having the doors open makes no difference to the power use at the moment; it will only affect the Watt hour consumption.

The issues with refrigeration are usually: A). start-up demand which places a momentary strain on inverter and battery bank; B). cycle time which varies the total Watt hours and depends on use as much as design. The first one can be dealt with easily enough, but makers generally don't bother (see inverter refrigerators) because the grid has no problem with this. The second one can be planned for within reason but is subject to so much influence by use that buying according to publish consumption figures is probably misleading.
  • Graham Parkinson
    Graham Parkinson Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the info.

Without hearing about real world experiences it's easy to get all wound up about what might and what might not work.
    Just like reading about health on the internet: a little solar knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Had a beautifully sunny, cold day on the island yesterday - not the usual grey cotton batten coastal weather we had earlier.

Was up on ladders visualizing tree shade for our planned south facing roof line. It looks like it will be good for direct sun almost all day plus water.

We plan to have a standing seam metal roof with 250W panels on rails attached to the ribs with the sturdy looking clips at the link below. These clips have both rubber padded feet to bear the main load plus setscrews to grip the ribs. They look better than the S5 clips which have just the setscrews.

http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power.solar_roof_mounting.sol_attach_parts.sol_attach_sscl.info.1.html

Off to navigate the boxing week crowds and shop for an nice simple energy efficient 120VAC fridge.

Happy New Year and best to all in 2015

Offgrid in cloudy PNW

MacGyver'ed museum collection of panels, castoff batteries and generators - ready for state of art system install .... parade of surviving and dead generators: H650, Ryobi 900, Briggs and Scrap Iron 2000, H2200, H3000, Kubota 3500, Kubota 4500, Onan 7500

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    yesterday tested a real world big new expensive high end fridge at a customer's house and couldn't believe it only pulled 2 amps AC

That's an excellent description of an "energy pig" fridge. Does it perhaps have two compressors that were both running at the same time? One for the fridge section and the other for the freezer section? Trying to figure why it's consumption is double that of most modern fridges. Not kidding.
    If running it off a 12 volt DC -120 VAC inverter, it would be sucking a good 20 amps from the battery. :cry:
  • Sun Dog
    Sun Dog Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭

Graham,

Our 18cuft GE fridge is rated at 311kWh/year. During the summer it runs very close to that number at less than 1kWh/day. Our kitchen gets pretty cold in the winter and the fridge consumption drops to ~0.5kWh/day. I'm very happy with our choice and wouldn't consider changing to a Sun Frost or a propane unit.

As you can see we have similar battery capacity but we have a bit more PV. Keep in mind that even a little shading can have dramatic effects on your solar production.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    The other possibility are the LG, Panasonic and Samsung inverter fridges but these don't seem to be in this CEE listing and I wonder about their always on power draw tendencies and additional inverter losses if they don't cycle fully off.

Inverter fridges are the future. They have variable speed compressors. It is more efficient to run a compressor at 1/3 speed all the time than to run it at full speed for 1/3 of the time.

By the way, the Danfoss compressor used in the sunfrost (and many other DC fridges) is a variable speed compressor.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    ramloui wrote: »
    If you are worried about the demand of an AC fridge, how many additional panels/batteries could you buy with 3500$ - 700$ = 2800$?

If you can meet the (higher) demands of an AC fridge by simply adding more panels, then I agree with your analysis.

If you need more panels and batteries, then I'm not so sure I agree. I want to keep my investment in batteries as small as possible, and I'm willing to spend more on the fridge if it means less battery. A good fridge should outlast your batteries... how many times will you replace that extra battery capacity during the life of the fridge?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

I think I'd take a refrigerator that can coast (ie, be turned off) from midnight to 9am and then have enough compressor to catch up over one that is slightly more efficient but needs to use the batteries all night.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you build your own, your plan will only work if you do not open the door in a warm house. No more basking in the LED light inside....
    Our Maytag 22 cubic foot uses 108 watts when cycled and defrosts at about 450 watts. It is just under 400KWH per year. The new Inverter cold machines should be a game changer for Offgrid. Anybody see one in the North America yet?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Sun Dog

I haven't seen them offered in the US or Canada yet (may have changed since I last looked) but apparently you can get them in Mexico.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22503-inverter-based-refrigerator-for-smaller-inverters
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Dog wrote: »
    I haven't seen them offered in the US or Canada yet (may have changed since I last looked) but apparently you can get them in Mexico.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?22503-inverter-based-refrigerator-for-smaller-inverters

Thanks up there in Yellowknife! I have an Aussie friend who has a LG and the last flicker of LED in his home happened when he turned it on.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

here is one from Canada LG http://www.lg.com/ca_en/refrigerators/lg-LFD22786ST-french-3-door
    Note Price....:cry:

Lead-in page see iinfo near bottom about compressor

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/kitchen/refrigerators.jsp

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Our Homedepots (California) have LG Linear Compressors and Samsung Inverter Compressor refrigerators... But it looks like I cannot search the HomeDepot website for those specifically.

I did search on Google using the site tag and it seems to work--But a lot of clicking is required to find/compare models:

site:homedepot.com inverter compressor (LG tech)
    site:homedepot.com linear compressor (Samsun tech)

I have seen them in our local stores over the last year or two--But I do not know how "off grid" friendly they may be.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Sun Dog

A few years ago when I was making my decision I looked at the RF16 Sunfrost, an 18cuft Crystal Cold propane and a simple 18cuft GE that uses <1kWh/day. I used PVWatts for my location with a derate factor of .52 and decided that the GE fridge was the way to go for us. I went with the assumption that an existing system was in place. With that in mind we would require ~500 watts of additional PV and $600-$800 worth of additional batteries. The Sunfrost would have needed an additional 250W of PV and $300-400 worth of additional batteries. I also included an additional $100/year in generator fuel for the GE and $50/year in generator fuel for the Sunfrost. Using current prices for fuel and propane I came out with the following numbers for 10 years of operation including the original purchase prices.

GE ~$2800
    Sunfrost ~$5100
    Crystal Cold ~$5900

All this assumes that the batteries last 10 years but even if they only last 5 years the results wouldn't be that different. A rise in fuel/propane prices would have the most effect (for the worse) on the Crystal Cold. For our situation the answer was clear.
  • westbranch

Add on the cost of service locally vs 'away' , GE (local probably) vs others = away
    and what to do during the down time when you don't have a fridge?

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Sun Dog
    westbranch wrote: »
    Add on the cost of service locally vs 'away' , GE (local probably) vs others = away
    and what to do during the down time when you don't have a fridge?

Yes, the GE could be serviced locally, hadn't even thought of that. No problem keeping things cold at the moment, -31C :p
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Video of the LG inverter linear compressor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbzY99apqhk

Samsung types :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diY6teQ34Ss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UksjLIpvZlM

For the price of these new digital Fridges , I'll give them more time to see if they can hold up to my 1965 deep freeze , my old washing machine that has a rotary dial that clicks & clunks . I have a few farmer neighbours that have replaced their new electronic appliances every 5 years because the boards are NLA & burnt out due to bad power.
    They are made so you need to purchase new again , not like our wringer washer from 1961 that was retired in 2009 , replace with a younger 1980 one I revamped for the washing of farming attire.

VT
  • Hill_Country
    Hill_Country Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    To provide a different perspective, we chose to go with two Steca DC 12v/24v chest style fridge/freezer units (specifically a Steca PF166 and a Steca PF240). We have them in place but have not finished building our solar system yet (no wiring has been run and our MMP (Magnum Mini Panel) is not even installed yet). I will hopefully report back with my experience with these Steca units, including usage on a daily/annual basis in a real-world setting. Both Steca units will be inside and shaded, but we live in the Texas Hill Country and our summers can be quite sweltering. Our house will not have A/C, only DC ceiling fans, so it will be a good test!
    100% Off-grid with: 8 Solarworld 275 Watt Panels, 8 Concorde SunXtender 405aH 6v AGM Batteries, MS-4448PAE 48v Inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, 10,000 gallon rainwater collection system, etc.
  • monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭

Unless you build your own, your plan will only work if you do not open the door in a warm house. No more basking in the LED light inside....
    Our Maytag 22 cubic foot uses 108 watts when cycled and defrosts at about 450 watts. It is just under 400KWH per year. The new Inverter cold machines should be a game changer for Offgrid. Anybody see one in the North America yet?

Typically, how many defrost cycles are there in a day, and how long do they last?
  • BB.
    For mine, roughly a 1-2 hour defrost on a 12 hour cycle (two defrost cycles a day).

One person here experimented and disconnected one his defrost heater and after about 24 hours, the evaporator was getting noticeably iced (as I recall).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    for an Amana 18 Cu. ft the cycle is (typical for all makes) about 25 minutes or more and occurs every ~11 hrs...

• monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    for an Amana 18 Cu. ft the cycle is (typical for all makes) about 25 minutes or more and occurs every ~11 hrs...

Is there any way to program the defrost cycles to happen during peak solar periods?
  • BB.
    My "cheap" refrigerator/freezers use a cheap timer motor that (appears) to disconnect the compressor and turn on the defrost heater. After ~1 hour, it turns them off... So, I do not see any issues with slapping in your own relay/programmable timer module.

In units I have owned, the timer is usually on the bottom of the fridge (front or rear)... Although, they can be inside too:

That would be a bit more difficult to access.

The new refrigerators with electronic controls (ice maker, cold water, defrost, multizone temperature control, etc.)--I would not attempt to change the defrost timer periods for those. Way too many things to go wrong / debug.

-Bill
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi . I've been running the Samsung inverter fridge for over a year now . overall pleased with it . Quieter than my older Samsung model .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • westbranch
    Peter, which model, size, etc? Some of them are quite pricey up here in Canada too>>>

• mmag
    mmag Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping to see some manufacturers put this digital inverterer technology into a 120v chest freezer i have seen some samsung model refrigerators at home depot, but many are top of the line large models with ice makers that use a lot of power
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi . The inverter model i have is sr340mw 340 litre . I think from memory it uses about 317kw per year. In newzealand it is presently $919-00. inc.

2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home