Best gloves?

Rossman
Rossman Solar Expert Posts: 178 ✭✭
Tried a search for this, nothing jumped out at me - I was wondering what y'all are using for good gloves when working around the batteries?

Accidentally got a drop of the acid on some jeans the next day there was a nice hole where the drop fell. Made me realize that I should probably get some better gloves, the ones I have now have a rubberized coating on them and have been ok so far but expect there to be better/longer lasting options.

Thanks,
mark

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Best gloves?

Ask at your local bulk fuel dealer, they should know. They use real heavy duty rubberized gloves at times. Or safety supply place...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

Just get a box of disposable nitrile gloves. Put on a new pair every time. Then you don't have to worry about it.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not saying you don't need gloves, but if you're not too far (5 minutes) from a place to wash your hands, it's not the end of the world if you get a bit on your hands. What's used in batteries is actually quite diluted, so will not instantly burn holes in your hand. After a few minutes you will notice a sort of burning itch, but washing it off with soap and water will take care of it. That's been my experience over the years anyway. Same for clothing, if you wash it as soon as possible, the battery acid will be removed before damage can be done.
    I'd be far more worried about my eyes.
  • Rossman

I wear glasses, and have some safety glasses as well, but I think I might get one of those full face masks for better protection. Can't be too safe!
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rossman wrote: »
    ..... Can't be too safe!
    Then my dad went and smashed his forehead on the cockpit frame, because the safety glasses blocked his vision !

But I just use the med duty disposable gloves. And I got burned where ? At the cuff, where the glove gaped open and trapped some stuff !

I strip to gym shorts and make sure I have a path to the water faucet. Your skin gives you about 1 minute protection, but a good splash on clothes or into your shoes and socks will burn you before you can get them off. Rinse off well, before grabbing the neutralizer, because it will generate heat and that will burn you too!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Rossman , Everyone is correct , I use pre-scription safety glasses & plastic clothes ( I wear Cotton & natural normally) Dickee-Dees are pure plastic H2SO4 (acid better) & never have steel / metal stuff on me when around battery's. The Acid is normally water soluble with the distilled water jug you should have on hand . I would invest in a eye wash plastic bottle for under ten bucks & use the battery distilled water.

VT
  • Rossman

Thanks everyone for your various opinions / perspectives! Really appreciated.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, do not use gloves.

Do have a plastic container with a tight lid. This container has a dilute solution of Baking Soda in water -- about 1.5 teaspoons/quart of water. In this solution are always a couple of the red/pink shop "rags". These rags will remove electrolyte from bare fingers, and wipe any dribbles from the batteries. The "shop rags", which are made in South Asia use a red dye, which is Litmus-like. It turns blue in the presence of acid, which is a good indicator of weather there is enough soda in solution. If the blue from the acid is not turned back to red when the rag is rinsed in the soda bath, the solution needs more soda, or to be tossed and renewed.

Just rattle the tip of the Hydrometer back and forth in the battery wells to knockoff the bulk of the electrolyte in the well, before removing the Hydro tip,

Rinse the Hydro tip before using it, and RINSE the Hydro with distilled water two or three times with after each measuring session --this rinses out the electrolyte, which, if allowed to remain in the Hydrometer, WILL allow a sticky residue to build up. This residue allows air bubbles to adhere on the float and interior of the tube, causing erroneous readings.

FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.