Your opinion of these batteries please?

Blitz
Blitz Solar Expert Posts: 33
Gentlemen,

This is my first post here, so bear with me please.

I have tinkered around with 12 volt systems for a few years now, just within my budget, and pretty much just playing around.

Over the Years I have accumulated some 12 volt inverters and chargers and batteries and small solar panels, pretty much just to use as learning curves and for experimentation.

Long term plans.... I just cant afford to go big.

What I DO want to do is put together a small portable system that will fit in my truck to use on the farm acreage where there is no power, for running saws, drills, grinders, lights on occasion, My laptop ( dont laugh ) and just smaller appliances like that, where I dont have to drag the generator around and wake the neighbors.

I recently acquired 6 "DataSafe" 12HX-300-FR batteries, that were kept in a telecom environment, and under constant float charge 13.6 v.
They are all hot, in pretty good shape, and since I have had them I have been charging them with a xantrex tru charge 40.

I want to use at least 4 of them in the truck, and maybe all 6.

they are rated at 70 Ah each,
and here are the detailed specs.
http://www.cogenient.com/mfc-refdocs/EnerSys/VRLA/HX/DataSafe%20HX%20Brochure.pdf

what is your opinion of these batteries?

I got them cheap, from a friend in the telecom industry, when they replaced them with new ones ( they do that every year or so, bad batteries or not )

for charging,
right now I am using the TruCharge 40, and I'm pretty happy with how that is all working out.

I also have a xantex freedom 458 (25 ) dual input, dual output inverter charger, that i have not hooked up yet, besides for just testing its operation.
it will put out 130 amps of charging power, and I want to incorporate this inverter/ charger into my system.
Manual PDF: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/Freedom-458/Freedom%20458%20Addendum(976-0137-01-01_Rev-A).pdf

I'm currently using a xantex 3000 pro watt as my main inverter, with a separate charger ( the tru charge 40 ).

Because this is a mobile application, and will not be used even weekly, For now I will be staying with shore power to charge the system, but eventually will be sizing a panel or two to fit this system.

So, I guess I'm looking for opinions and advice.

I have these batteries... so I'm gonna use them.

at 70 Ah in an 8 hr period... without derating...
would you use all 6 or just put 4 in the bank?

I have really good interconnects and anderson connectors, and know how to design the bank to draw evenly from all of the batteries at the same time.
from reading here : http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
I dont have a shortage of 1/0 2/0 3/0 and even some mcm cable and connectors up to SB 350's 175's mostly...

I'm weak in math,
I'm new at doing this seriously

so what kind of power am I really looking at here?
420 AH max with out derating on 6 batteries,
or 280 AH with 4 batteries.

In the future, at a 10 % or 13% charge rate... what wattage of panels will I need to properly charge this system ( and I know I need a charge controller )

I'm already kinda stuck in 12 volts, with out putting out more cash... for other inverters...
So I just want to use what I have for now, and upgrade to at least 24 volts at a later date.

thanks for Your opinions.

remember I'm new... so be nice :")

Blitz

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,590 admin
    Re: Your opinion of these batteries please?

Welcome to the forum Blitz!
    I recently acquired 6 "DataSafe" 12HX-300-FR batteries, that were kept in a telecom environment, and under constant float charge 13.6 v.
    They are all hot, in pretty good shape, and since I have had them I have been charging them with a xantrex tru charge 40.

I want to use at least 4 of them in the truck, and maybe all 6.

they are rated at 70 Ah each,
    and here are the detailed specs.
    http://www.cogenient.com/mfc-refdocs/EnerSys/VRLA/HX/DataSafe%20HX%20Brochure.pdf

what is your opinion of these batteries?

They are designed for "float" service and generally only are expected to last a few cycles if deep discharged (my guess). That is why the phone companies replace them every year (need reliable emergency backup power, replace them once they get cycled very much).

A pair of 6 volt @ ~220 AH deep cycle golf cart batteries are pretty nice for starting with solar--But it is difficult to argue with "free" batteries--At least to experiment.

AGMs are nice batteries (for lead acid types). Very high surge current support and no mess (if not over charged).
    for charging,
    right now I am using the TruCharge 40, and I'm pretty happy with how that is all working out.

Should be a nice charger for those batteries (set to AGM type). 40 amps could keep upwards of 160 AH of 12 volt AGMs pretty happy (5% rate of charge).
    I also have a xantex freedom 458 (25 ) dual input, dual output inverter charger, that i have not hooked up yet, besides for just testing its operation.
    it will put out 130 amps of charging power, and I want to incorporate this inverter/ charger into my system.
    Manual PDF: http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inverter-Chargers/Freedom-458/Freedom%20458%20Addendum(976-0137-01-01_Rev-A).pdf

I'm currently using a xantex 3000 pro watt as my main inverter, with a separate charger ( the tru charge 40 ).

The issues with batteries is they do not like to supply a huge amount of current and (especially these batteries) do not like to be deeply cycled (call taking them below 75% state of charge or 25% depth of discharge a "comfortable" cycle for them.

When you put large AC inverters on these batteries, they take a lot of power.

For example, a 3,000 Watt @ 24 volt AC inverter, if you are to run it at full power over all battery charge conditions:

3,000 Watts * 1/10.5 voltage cutoff * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1.25 NEC derating for DC wiring+fuse/breaker = 420 Amps @ 12 volt DC Branch circuit rating

That, obviously, is a lot of current. Heavy/short DC wiring needed, and a lot of current from those batteries.

Those batteries are rated for ~102 Watts per cell for 60 minutes (until battery is dead--and probably not recover). Each 12 volt battery has 6 cells, so that would be a 600 Watt load.

To run 3,000 Watts, at least 5 of those 12 volt batteries in parallel would run the 3kWatt inverter ~1 hour at full load.

And, what this is all really coming back down to--Is what are your needs. Most off grid Lead Acid battery banks do not supply that much power for very long. A 3kWatt genset will run ~2 hours on a gallon of gasoline. Much longer than that battery bank+AC inverter is really capable of.

Because this is a mobile application, and will not be used even weekly, For now I will be staying with shore power to charge the system, but eventually will be sizing a panel or two to fit this system.
    So, I guess I'm looking for opinions and advice.

I have these batteries... so I'm gonna use them.

at 70 Ah in an 8 hr period... without derating...
    would you use all 6 or just put 4 in the bank?

Where battery (and solar) power is great--For smaller loads that you need to run for many hours with no noise/starting genset, etc. (like a cabin/small home in the evening when you want lights+computer+TV and no generator==And the ability to just flip on a switch to get power).
    I have really good interconnects and anderson connectors, and know how to design the bank to draw evenly from all of the batteries at the same time.
    from reading here : http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
    I dont have a shortage of 1/0 2/0 3/0 and even some mcm cable and connectors up to SB 350's 175's mostly...

If the batteries+AC inverter meet your needs--Why not. But I would be suggesting that you look at your loads and break them down. Such as smaller amount of 24x7 emergency/off grid power (few hundred watts). And for the big power (jobsite, heavy day time loads like pumping water, running shop tools, etc.), continue to use a genset for the time being.
    I'm weak in math,
    I'm new at doing this seriously

We can help you here--But this first post is trying to set expectations--Both ours based on what your needs are, and for you to understand that solar power is not cheap--And it is difficult to buy equipment/supplies and connect them together in a "useful system" (more luck than planning if it does meet your needs).
    so what kind of power am I really looking at here?
    420 AH max with out derating on 6 batteries,
    or 280 AH with 4 batteries.

These batteries (again, my guess), are not designed for deep cycling. Shallow cycling, they will probably do OK (less than 25% power draw). And if you want to experiment with solar/off grid power--They can certainly be educational.
    In the future, at a 10 % or 13% charge rate... what wattage of panels will I need to properly charge this system ( and I know I need a charge controller )

In round numbers a 10-13% rate of charge for Lead Acid batteries is actually quite a nice rate of charge/balanced with bank capacity/capabilities. Roughly, such an array would look like:

420 AH * 14.2 volts charging * 1/0.77 solar panel+charge controller deratings * 0.10 rate of charge = 775 Watt solar array

If you get around 4 hours of sun minimum for ~9+ months a year (excluding winter--In summer you may get 5-6 hours of noon time equivalent sun per day--based on your location/amount of shading by trees/etc.):

775 Watt solar array * 4 hours of sun (average) per day * 0.52 off grid AC system derating = 1,612 WH per day (plus or minus)
    I'm already kinda stuck in 12 volts, with out putting out more cash... for other inverters...
    So I just want to use what I have for now, and upgrade to at least 24 volts at a later date.

thanks for Your opinions.

remember I'm new... so be nice :")

Blitz

We always try to be nice... But we also try to level set expectations. Off Grid solar power is not cheap, and the systems are heavy/bulky, and they need maintenance (batteries replaced every ~4-8 years or so, new electronics every 10+ years, etc.).

If you have random power needs (portable power, 2 weeks or less emergency power after an ice storm, etc.), a good quality AC genset and some stored fuel is usually a better bet.

Not to scare you away--But to get you thinking about your loads first, and conservation. To learn more about your AC loads, a Kill-a-Watt type meter is well worth the money for experimentation and conservation projects.

Once we have a better idea about your loads, usage, location of system, etc., we can probably give you some better help. However--We are not going to make solar power "Cheap"...

Take care,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blitz

Bill,

Thank You For taking all of that time to answer every question I had.

I really appreciate that.

This is more information than I expected, so let me digest this and reply properly.

I do Have a Kill A watt, and I can get other batteries.
    The Watts output of the Solar Bank, run time, 25% dept of discharge...
    All of that is really really good information.

I have been interested in this long enough to know , none of it is cheap : )

I can reply properly later today, Just wanted to give a Quick Thank you !

Blitz.
  • Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭

My experience is, Power tools on a Solar set up is a no-go...... We start the generator when the wife wants to use a blow dryer. It can be done, but you will need a $30,000 setup. And even then it will not work well for long.
  • BB.

You are very welcome Blitz.

If you have any questions about what we have typed--Please ask. We do not get feedback as we make our posts, so sometimes there is confusion on the reader's side (or on the poster's side too) that need clarification.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Alaska Man wrote: »
    My experience is, Power tools on a Solar set up is a no-go...... We start the generator when the wife wants to use a blow dryer. It can be done, but you will need a $30,000 setup. And even then it will not work well for long.

Not really. It all depends on what power tools and for how long.
    My system has no problem supplying the needs of my battery tools, saws, and even air nailers for the Summertime construction work. It didn't cost $30k (even in Canadian) and it has been working fine for years with no reason why it should stop.

Of this equipment the air nailer and power saws are the worst, but the nailer only fires as-needed for air (frequently when you get to building things) and the saws are usually a brief spurt of power to cut a board (plywood slicing takes the longest). These represent momentary ripples in power demand around 1kW and usually for less than a minute at a time. Heck the shop vac is the worst; cleaning up after takes more power than making the mess to begin with!

Somewhere under the energy use & conservation section there's some tests I did on various power tools and their power demands.
  • Blitz

Hi Guys.

First of all, thank You for welcoming me to the forum.
    The information gleaned and shared here is truly invaluable to me, but I 'will' say.... thanks a Million !

Bill, You answered all of my questions... concisely.

The main thing that I discovered from the replies, is that my thinking of putting Solar Panels, in a mobile application, will probably just not fly.
    800 watts of panels, will simply not be portable... even just here on the property.

I guess I could install the panels in a perm. installation... with a second bank of batteries that does not move.. and another inverter, charge controller.. etc...
    which is probably the way to go.
    A whole new system, that is immobile.

By "Mobile", my intent is running around the farm, doing the work that needs to be done on wooden fences, horse shelters, the barn, tree stands ,the front metal gates, "some" water pumping at 110 volts to transfer 55 gallons of water at a time, etc...

I have an on board air system for the truck, that is 12 volts, ( extreme aire 150 psi ) that will handle all of my air compressor needs "out in the fields".

I will take some time to list , for my own knowledge, the amp draw of every power tool and pump I intend to use.
    Then I want to go ahead and build in a "reserve" for future "wants and needs".

I do own a generator, 4000 watts, and a fuel reserve ( stabilized and properly stored over 100 gal).
    The generator is a backup for the house, because the power around here is really glitchy, and fails frequently without notice or reason.

The Main thing for the generator is a fire pump, that I keep the generator next to, for a 4000 gallon , 300 feet of 1 and 1/2 inch fire hose system, at 3.5 hp and 240 volts. approx 100 GPM.
    no way I can run that ever on solar....
    I have anticipated losing power in a fire... or even shutting it OFF should there be one.

So I dont like moving the generator around ( its heavy, and LOUD ) and I really want it living where I have it, to run the fire pump and the house fridge and freezer and some lights, security system and TV when its necessary.
    I have found that once I move it, it takes a few days to get it back "home"... and thats just uncomfortable to sleep with.

Becasue i already have the 12 volt systems , I think its best to just "use what I have" and make do.

I played with some numbers this morning, for a new 24 volt inverter, a charge controller, 6 volt batteries and the panels...

I roughed it in at 6K, not including shipping, new interconnects, class T fuses, junction boxes... etc...

Thats still 1 K cheaper than a Honda Eu 7000i, but half the wattage.

I think I should just run with what I have, for My Mobile application...
    and upgrade My batteries in the next 12 months.

I already see the "trap" of going 12 volts, and I'm adjusting my thinking to move to 24 volts.

I only plan on purchasing only a few more 12 volt accessories, and that is a remote panel for the Freedom 458, and more Anderson SB 175 and 350 contacts. ( i have lots of 175's , 350's and sb 50's with handles... just short on contacts ) and some More class T fuses and holders.

Most of that will upgrade to 24 volts, no problem...

But I think I'm done investing in 12 volt systems, after the remote panel.

After the replies, I have decided to go ahead and use all 6 batteries at 420 AH before derating, and just keep using the shore power to charge ... BUT I'm going to go ahead and install the freedom 458, to get up to 130 amps of charging for the larger bank.

I made the rookie mistakes of getting 2 huge inverters at about 3000 watts... which is really overkill for what i'm doing.
    The Freedom 458 is 2500 watt cont., and I got that for a real bargain.... so I cant complain.

I think this leave me... looking at dropping 6 K, and set up a real system.

The Honda Eu7000, would work great for the house, and as an emergency backup... But fuel will run out, and the noise is a considering factor when the power is out.

Decisions decisions.

I'm kinda bummed that i cant really fit enough panels inside the truck on a portable stand, to charge my system design.
    I was thinking that , """ just giving it more "time" """ and I could get by with smaller panels...
    But I can see I need to be able to put enough into the batteries to really charge them... and not "short cycle" them.

Thanks for your patience in reading all of this and giving your advice and opinions.

Once I clear the workbench of all of this 12 volt stuff,
    I feel like I will be able to move to the next step.

Is there any way... that i could use one panel...( say 300 + watts ) and LOTS of time, to charge this bank in the truck?

Or Am I spinning my wishful wheels?

thanks again guys...

your effort here is not wasted or falling on deaf ears.

Blitz.
  • BB.

More or less, 4 hours per day for ~9 months of the year would give you:

300 Watts * 0.61 off grid DC power system eff * 4 hours = 732 Watt*Hours of DC power per day
    732 WH per day / 12 volts = ~61 AH of 12 VDC power per day...

Is that useful? In dead of winter, you might look at 2 hours of sun per day. And during stormy/dark weather, pretty close to zero hours of sun for a few days of very dark winter weather.

-Bill
  • Blitz

Excuse My ignorance Bill.

That "might " be enough...

IF on day two, of not using the system.... will it also put another 61 AH into the 12 volt bank?

so do I understand correctly that in 2 days ( in good weather / 9 Mo out of the year ) I could put 122 Ah into this bank with a 300 watt panel?

then on the third day ( assuming good weather ) another 61 AH? ( 183 ah total ) ??

all of this is without using the system for those three days...

If that math and theory is correct... YES I could make that work !

I think I was getting hung up on the amount of amps going into the battery bank "in bulk" and the question I have / had is :

Given enough time.... Will one 300 + watt panel charge this bank of 6 batteries up "completely"
    Or will there always be a deficit, where I just cant put enough amps from one Solar panel into the big bank of 6 batteries. ??

I have TIME... plenty of it at the moment...

So , in TIME, will one panel actually charge this bank up "" completely "" ( <---- Key Word ) before I use it up and then have to wait another 3 or 4 good weather days?

Remember , this is mobile and used once a week... and I hate to, but I can revert to shore power to charge.

I thought I would need more AMPS faster to actually charge the bank.. rather than just trickle charging it until its full.

Please forgive My ignorance.

I think, we are on to some good news here... for a part time mobile system.
    ( or I totally still dont have the charging theory down )

Blitz
  • BB.

I am not sure where you are at--But lets say Houston Texas, using PV Watts with the array set flat, we get:

Month
    Solar Radiation
    (kWh/m2/day)

Year

You will get more than 4.0 hours of sun per day (long term average--Some days more, some days less).

We recommend 5% to 13% rate of charge--For seasonal/random usage/AGM batteries--5% rate of charge can work just fine:

300 Watts * 1/14.1 volts charging * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/0.05 rate of charge = 328 AH @ 12 volt battery bank maximum "recommended" AH capacity

So, you could put 4.7x 70 AH @ 12 volt batteries on there pretty easily (5 or so). You could try 6x -- Free batteries are free.

Yes--The battery bank is just a storage tank for electricity. You pump in XX AH in a day, and YY AH the next--Until the battery bank is full. At that point, you cannot fill it any more (if the charge controller is working correctly).

You decide the weight, peak power, etc. that makes sense for your needs.

-Bill
  • Blitz

Thanks Bill.

Now we are talking.

You missed it by about 150 miles.... ( Darn Good guess !!! )
    I'm North of Houston, South East of Dallas.

I finally understand now.
    Thanks for that.

I was thinking that a large bank of batteries would need lots of amps to even begin to charge them... Like 40 +. To even begin to charge them.

I just needed to adjust my thinking.

Free... wasn't free.. :)
    But I will tell You, that I got them for 60 bucks each. ( Friend for over 30 years hooked me up ... again )

So , Yes...
    I have TIME... and shore power

So it seems this will work, for a part time system.

If push comes to shove... I will have to use the shore power charging , through the 458.
    Or call it a day and take a break and go to something else for a day or three.

I can do that.
    All of it is a good learning experience.

Technical question:

when everything is set up in the truck, the batteries, 458, a charge controller and a single panel ( to start with )

*** Will I need to remove/ or anderson disconnect the Solar charge controller before I plug into shore power ? ***

( Obviously, using Solar alone, I will not be able to be plugged into shore power at the same time... "out in the fields" or parked at the cedar shed)

I'm now considering the scratched panel @ 275 watts on the site, just for this setup.
    seems I cant go wrong... its just not 300 watts.

And a PWM charge controller, but I need to read up on the RF interference...just because I use 2 way radios in the truck, as well as SW.

I think I got it knocked now....

I'm already designing a large watertight box for the 458, but one I can vent when in use.
    ( the truck bed is also covered.. with 5 feet of headroom )

Thinking about the battery interconnect configuration for a bank of 6, being "balanced"
    the class T fuses and cables.. and I have some very large insulated buss bars to go from my bank to dual MCM cable to the inverter. ( overkill I'm sure )

Its all a work in progress, and I will take some pictures of the lose components in the coming week.

thanks again for the information and expertise Bill.

I feel like I'm on to the next step of putting all the pieces together now.

I had a road block there for a long time,
    and I appreciate that Help !

Blitz.

? unplug the charge controller before I plug into shore power ?
    i'm sure it depends on which model I choose?
  • BB.
    Blitz wrote: »
    I was thinking that a large bank of batteries would need lots of amps to even begin to charge them... Like 40 +. To even begin to charge them.

Yes, large battery banks do better with large charging current. Cost/size/weight of batteries is why we try to keep banks "smaller".

However, AGM batteries have lower internal resistance, and lower self discharge rates--So, they can do a bit better with lower charging current.

We really aim at designing a "balanced" system (battery matches loads, solar array matches battery+loads, etc.). the hardware is expensive--So having an oversized system hurts your wallet. But, on the other hand, an undersized system is a complete waste of money too.

Regarding Amp*Hours... Turns out that Lead Acid batteries are nearly 100% current efficient. Take out 10 AH, return 10 AH to fill it back up.

Note that as you get >90% or so state of charge (for AGM), charging efficient does drop.
    Technical question:

when everything is set up in the truck, the batteries, 458, a charge controller and a single panel ( to start with )

*** Will I need to remove/ or anderson disconnect the Solar charge controller before I plug into shore power ? ***

( Obviously, using Solar alone, I will not be able to be plugged into shore power at the same time... "out in the fields" or parked at the cedar shed)

In general, you can parallel charge controllers and leave the solar controller connected all of the time. There can be a limit (several large Amp capacity chargers can supply too much current to a battery bank and such)--But for your system, solar+AC charging is not a problem.
    I'm now considering the scratched panel @ 275 watts on the site, just for this setup.
    seems I cant go wrong... its just not 300 watts.

Solar power numbers if you are within 10% of the "numbers"--That is pretty much "the same" numbers.
    And a PWM charge controller, but I need to read up on the RF interference...just because I use 2 way radios in the truck, as well as SW.

Most VHF radios (commercial, HAM, etc.) are FM--Which is pretty noise resistant, especially at shorter ranges (line of site) common to VHF.

For Short Wave/AM, yea--You can have real problems with RF Hash from any fast/high power switching systems.

There are PWM charge controllers with special low frequency operation (intended for telecom systems and keep the audio noise low). However, most >200 Watt panels are Vmp~30 volts (or other non "12 volt friendly" voltages). PWM controllers are not a great match for those panels.

MPPT charge controllers digital switching power supplies which can have lots of hash. Some controllers are FCC Class A listed--And are usually quieter than non-FCC A/B listed/tested units.

And if a Prius drives anywhere within a few miles--There goes your Short Wave.
    I'm already designing a large watertight box for the 458, but one I can vent when in use.
    ( the truck bed is also covered.. with 5 feet of headroom )

Keeping power electronics cool/well ventilated is always a good idea (so is keeping them dry too).
    Thinking about the battery interconnect configuration for a bank of 6, being "balanced"
    the class T fuses and cables.. and I have some very large insulated buss bars to go from my bank to dual MCM cable to the inverter. ( overkill I'm sure )

Not really--Keep the cables short. For a 12 VDC system, you want no more than ~0.5 volt drop for your wiring.

Depending on your actual power needs--You may want to look at some large DC breakers instead of fuses. It is nice to just turn off the breaker to kill all your loads. And large T fuses+holders are not cheap either.

Couple of 250 Amp breakers.
    unplug the charge controller before I plug into shore power ?
    i'm sure it depends on which model I choose?

Nope, don't worry.
  • Blitz

Hi Guys.

Just wanted to come back to this for a minute.

I have been researching these batteries and the cut off point of My inverter ( the freedom / 458 - 25 )

It seems that My inverter will shut down at 10.0 volts DC.

From reading the battery specs,

it seems that will drop each cell to 1.67 volts per cell, to become 10.0 volts on each battery.

In your professional opinion....

will this be killing my batteries, dropping them to 1.67 volts per cell?

When I look at the specs for the batteries here:

It seems that the "lower end" of maximum amp draw is "constant" for every voltage per cell listed...
    which is 102 amps constant per cell for one hour.

It seems to not matter if I drop the cell to 1.75 per
    all the way to 1.60...

it still specs out the same maximum amp draw, and for the same time.

What seems to change it is... the MAXIMUM amount of amp draw, in 5 minutes... ( I know thats just a few minutes of run time )
    But the maximum amp draw is 571 amps, for 5 minutes... to get a 1.60 per cell reading and
    513 maximum amps for 5 minutes to get a 1.75 v. per cell reading.

It seems these batteries are pretty stout ?
    and the short circuit amps are 3100 + per battery ( till they melt )

I Guess what My question is ...

Is...

Dropping these batteries to 10.0 volts before the inverter kicks off....
    Will I be killing them ?
    ( They would be immediately recharged with shore power at 40 amps, 13.6 to 14.2 volts within the day, and left to float at 13.6 for probably three more )

When I read the specs on these batteries...
    I'm probably misunderstanding... but do these batteries put out 3000 amps per battery ? ( till melted )
    Or is it just the 600 that was quoted earlier?

Once again, forgive my confusion and newbie questions...

But I'm moving forward on this, with all 6 batteries, 1/0 interconnects ( I could use 3/0 interconnects, which i have already made up ) and 4/0 cable to the inverter, Anderson SB 350 connectors and a weatherproof box, ( vented ) and with shore power connections for the Freedom 458.

I'm really just trying to GROCK how much power I can really use, with out destroying the batteries ( considering they will be immediately recharged )

Am I still at 3000 watts for 1 hour with 5 batteries ( Now I'm using 6)

and will dropping them to 10.0 really kill them?

Thanks again...

Just finalizing my though processes before I continue.

I'm going to meet my battery Guy again, before the end of The Year, and I'm taking cash...

So something else may come up... But will probably go into a non mobile install ( with better batteries )
  • Cariboocoot

Just my opinion but allowing a 12 Volt system to go down to 10 Volts will kill the batteries. Not the first time or the second time, but if you let it be a habit ... You get a lot less life out of the batteries.

This is a problem with inexpensive 12 Volt inverters; their operating range is generally too low. The LVD is usually 10.5 and then they scream about high Voltage when you try to EQ at 15. If the inverter is small enough you can shift this with a couple of high current diodes in-line (causes V-drop to inverter so that 12 Volts "looks like" 11 Volts and 15 Volts "looks like" 14 Volts). If it is a large inverter ... buy a good one that will take the range and can have a sensible LVD set on it.

People who try to make systems run on the edge end up getting cut.
  • Blitz

Understood.

I cant shift the LVD on the Freedom 458 ( which isnt what I would call cheap : ) )

I also cant equalize these batteries because they are sealed VRLA .
    My charger will equalize, but just cant on these bats . Right??

So, it would seem...
    I need to actually monitor the bank while in use and 'shut 'er down' manually, before I get to 10.5 V. ?

The Diodes in line... Thanks for that.
    I will research that further.

Sounds like a relatively easy and fool proof work around.

Back to the maximum amp draw...

And like I said, this is so I can GROCK what my maximum limits are.

Once I have those limits, I can adjust...( run time and loads )
    I just want an end point, or point of no return , to work backwards from.

Its the MATH MAN !!!

Its confusing for a newbie. : )
  • Cariboocoot

Right: sealed batteries = no EQ. I was just commenting on the problem with low Voltage inverters in general.

If you can adjust the LVD upwards on your inverter you do not need the "diode trick" either.

Ignore the short-circuit current on the batteries as you won't (hopefully) be feeding a short-circuit.

If you need to find the lowest under-load Voltage you can tolerate, hook up the load when the batteries are around nominal Voltage and see what the drop is. This will give you an approximate difference you can allow below nominal to keep the SOC above 50%. It will be more accurate than trying to calculate beforehand.

The thing about batteries is that the real capacity at the moment changes according to how much load is on. It might be 'X' Amp hours at 'Y' Amps current and 'Z' SOC but ... if 'Y' goes up 'X' goes down, and of course if 'Z' goes down 'X' goes down. Temperature also affects this. The change will not be the same for every make & model of battery; they are individuals in that respect.

That's why the math is so difficult, and it is much easier and more likely to give correct results if you try it and see. As a starting point most FLA batteries can handle a maximum of 25% of their 20 hour capacity rating for current. It really reduces the actual capacity though.
  • Blitz

Thanks Cariboocoot.

I appreciate it.

I just re- read the manual, and Yes, I cannot change the LVD.. even with the optional remote panel.

The thing is.. it is rated at 10 volts LVD + or - 0.5 volts.

So It "could" shut off at 10.5 v or as low as 9.5 !! :(

I will have to investigate the Diode Work Around, or just babysit... which will be a pain while working.

Cariboocoot Quote:

" Ignore the short-circuit current on the batteries as you won't (hopefully) be feeding a short-circuit. "

awww.... You're no fun at all :)

Live a little once... : )

I will take Your advice and go ahead and hook up some loads and test the bank.
    I have several pumps I'm curious about, and I can mix and match amps and Hp ratings. under load ( pumping water ) to see how it all behaves.

For testing, I will be using the 1/0 cables as interconnects.

Do You think I should use the 3/0 cables as a "permanent installation" as interconnects?

For sure, I'm using the 4/0 to the inverter... and a SB 350

and I have a junction block set that I will have to ask here about later... with some pictures. ( for the battery bank )
    Fuses and a disconnect will be used as well.

Cariboocoot Quote :

"That's why the math is so difficult, and it is much easier and more likely to give correct results if you try it and see. As a starting point most FLA batteries can handle a maximum of 25% of their 20 hour capacity rating for current. It really reduces the actual capacity though. "

So last question....

If these batteries are rated at an 8 hour rating...

Do I just divide that in roughly HALF to get to a 16 hour rating, and then another 4 hours ?

confusing.. sorry...

the 8 hour rate is 70 AH per battery, to 1.75 v per cell.

So 16 hours would be 35 AH ?

Yep I'm confused to get to a 20 hour rate, and then 25 % of that per battery then multiply by 6 for the bank.

Hey...
    Merry Christmas Guys.

Blitz.
  • BB.

AH rating is sort of the total energy available from the battery at a specific current flow (AH * Voltage = Watt*Hour which is the actual energy available--But voltage vaires over discharge--AH is a bit more consistent).

So, if you have a 70 AH battery at 8 hour rate, you may have a 100 AH Battery at 20 Hour rate.... I.e., the total energy delivered is more at lower current levels (less energy is going up as heat due to internal resistance which is P=I2R and other secondary chemical reactions in the plates).

That is that the Peukart Factor is attempting to quantify... The faster (harder) you discharge the battery bank, the less energy (AH) available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law
    Peukert's law, presented by the German scientist W. Peukert in 1897, expresses the capacity of a battery in terms of the rate at which it is discharged. As the rate increases, the battery's available capacity decreases.
    Manufacturers rate the capacity of a battery with reference to a discharge time. For example, a battery might be rated at 100 A·h when discharged at a rate that will fully discharge the battery in 20 hours. In this example, the discharge current would be 5 amperes. If the battery is discharged in a shorter time, with a higher current, the delivered capacity is less. Peukert's law describes a power relationship between the discharge current (normalized to some base rated current) and delivered capacity (normalized to the rated capacity) over some specified range of discharge currents. If the exponent constant k was one, the delivered capacity would be independent of the current. For a lead–acid battery, however, the value of k is typically between 1.1 and 1.3.

It generally ranges from 1.05 to 1.15 for VRSLAB AGM batteries, from 1.1 to 1.25 for gel, and from 1.2 to 1.6 for flooded batteries.[1] The Peukert constant varies according to the age of the battery, generally increasing with age. Application at low discharge rates must take into account the battery self-discharge current. At very high currents, practical batteries will give even less capacity than predicted from a fixed exponent. The equation does not account for the effect of temperature on battery capacity.

Formula

For a one-ampere discharge rate, Peukert's law is often stated as
    9daf5525d40e98044b159be81976b957.png where:
    7abbcf0ce3c8e0797da5ba0684e82a50.png is the capacity at a one-ampere discharge rate, which must be expressed in ampere-hours,
    dd7536794b63bf90eccfd37f9b147d7f.png is the actual discharge current (i.e. current drawn from a load) in amperes,
    e358efa489f58062f10dd7316b65649e.png is the actual time to discharge the battery, which must be expressed in hours.
    8ce4b16b22b58894aa86c421e8759df3.png is the Peukert constant (dimensionless),

We tend to use C20 for off grid home applications... basically, if you assume 5 hour discharge per night, for 2 nights and 50% maximum discharge, that is the 20 hour discharge rate.

For a fork lift, with an 8 hour work day, you may see C8 or C6 discharge rates--As that is more representative of their usage.

-Bill
  • Blitz

My Head is seriously hurting now.

I Thank you BB for the reply.

Obviously, i need to let this subject soak in, and study it more.

its Almost Quantum Physics.

I'm not really "slow" or "learning disabled"... But this is seriously too much to take in today.

I will continue studying.

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction and into the correct dimension :)

Wow..

I will grock it... but not today it seems.

Seems like, its time to just hook it up and run some real world tests.

1/0 should be fine for interconnects, correct? ( they are already made with SB 175 connectors and eye rings )
    Or should i go ahead and incorporate the 3/0 I already have available? ( just eye rings )

I have to take a break after reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensionless_quantity

In dimensional analysis, a dimensionless quantity or quantity of dimension one is a quantity without an associated physical dimension. It is thus a "pure" number, and as such always has a dimension of 1.[1] Dimensionless quantities are widely used in mathematics, physics, engineering, economics, and in everyday life (such as in counting). Numerous well-known quantities, such as π, e, and φ, are dimensionless. By contrast, non-dimensionless quantities are measured in units of length, area, time, etc.
    Dimensionless quantities are often defined as products or ratios of quantities that are not dimensionless, but whose dimensions cancel out when their powers are multiplied. This is the case, for instance, with the engineering strain, a measure of deformation. It is defined as change in length, divided by initial length, but since these quantities both have dimensions L (length), the result is a dimensionless quantity.

Thanks Guys...

I will get back to the theory after the First of the Year.
    I will have done some real world tests by then.

Do y'all grade on the curve :)
  • Cariboocoot
    Blitz wrote: »

For testing, I will be using the 1/0 cables as interconnects.

Do You think I should use the 3/0 cables as a "permanent installation" as interconnects?

For sure, I'm using the 4/0 to the inverter... and a SB 350

and I have a junction block set that I will have to ask here about later... with some pictures. ( for the battery bank )
    Fuses and a disconnect will be used as well.

All wiring of the batteries must be able to take the maximum current expected.
    This can get a bit confusing if you have a long run to the inverter which needs larger than minimum wire size in order to reduce V-drop. In those circumstances the fuse/breaker on the wire has to be rated to protect the smallest wire in the circuit, which would be one between batteries.

In other words if maximum expected current is, say, 150 Amps and that can be handled by 1/0 AWG you have that size between battery connections. But then the run to the inverter is long (say 6 feet) so you use 4/0 there to minimize Voltage drop you would still use a fuse/breaker of 200 Amp rating to protect the smaller wire, not the 300 Amps the 4/0 AWG is capable of.

So last question....

If these batteries are rated at an 8 hour rating...

Do I just divide that in roughly HALF to get to a 16 hour rating, and then another 4 hours ?

confusing.. sorry...

the 8 hour rate is 70 AH per battery, to 1.75 v per cell.

So 16 hours would be 35 AH ?

I wish it was that easy. Not by a long shot. The Peukert Effect comes in to play here; battery capacity is not linear in relation to the size of the load/length of time. Someplace on here we have the formula or a link to it, but if you don't like math that one will scare you out of your socks.

Just to pick a battery I've got the numbers on: 8 hour rate is 113 Amp hours, 24 hour rate is 129 Amp hours. Pretty far from a 8 * X increase, but an increase just the same. Yours will not be the same 14% increase either because they aren't the same batteries. You really need the number from the maker.
  • Blitz

Thanks Cariboocoot.

I decided on the 3/0 with ring terminals and direct connections.
    The Sb 175's from anderson wont take the amps, and I want to build in future functional ability. ( and bigger/better batteries )

The inverter will be about 3 feet from the bank, on the 4/0, with Sb 350 connectors.
    "round trip" will be 6 feet total on the wire length.

So I need to fuse My system with 200 amp class t...

I appreciate that.
    I would have done it wrong, out of convenience.
    I have about 40 feet of 1/0 and about 40 feet of 2/0 and "just enough" 3/0 to use as interconnects.

The Peukert Effect was explained to me last night by BB.... and You are correct...
    It seriously caused pain in the brain, and I gave up.

I will have some more questions later about the best configuration of the batteries interconnects. ( will require photos )
    And I have some HUGE Lugs that will accept 6 - 2/0 cables on the bottom and two 4/0 out the top each. ( I have two of them mounted in an enclosure )
    I am still pondering using those to tie the inverter to the bank, but I already know it will be better to just go direct to the batteries ( shorter wire, more solid connections )
    they are similar to this but much much bigger... and with more connections:
    Attachment not found.

I was thinking about the test procedures last night, with water pumps of various size and voltage and amps.

when I do the tests, I need to use a kill a watt, and amp meter, test the batteries individually "resting" and after use and a set amount of water has been pumped...
    and then recharge the bank after each test...

and make a chart.
    lots of work...

some of the pumps pull 16 amps... + starting loads... capacitor start 120v. ( 5 pumps to test, 1 -12 volt direct pump and two at 240 volts that will require a generator for comparison )

its gonna be interesting, and take some serious time .
    I figure pumping 55 gallons at a time will be the constant, the variable being time and energy consumed.

As a final test , with a fully charged bank...
    I will take the heaviest load, 120v pump, and run it until the LVD kicks in... and note that battery voltage, and the time that I could run the pump in optimal conditions.

I also had the thought of running a 1500 watt electric heater and a 500 watt halogen work light until it hit LVD... which would probably be faster .

Lots to think about.

Thanks for all the help guys.

As I said earlier, I'm just going to hook it up and do some real world testing, and get back to the theory and math with some more practical experience under my belt.

At least now, I have My wire size correct, and My T- fuse, and the SB 350 should "count" as a disconnect.
    And it will be "up gradable"

I will get some pics this week and ask one or two more questions, before I cut any wire and crimp connectors.

Blitz
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    And if a Prius drives anywhere within a few miles--There goes your Short Wave.

Actually, no. Lots of discussions online about mounting 2 meter, 10 meter, etc. in a Prius. Just one example: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=81265.0

This guy even uses his as a power source for Field Day: http://www.aprs.org/FD-Prius-Power.html
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • BB.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your links... The first one talks a lot about HF noise and doing (or at least trying) a lot of work to reduce HF noise (short wave).

VHF and UHF appears to not be a problem (and usually the higher frequency stuff is easier to control, plus FM is less affected by typical noise sources--Although, even FM still had to run a higher squelch level to get above the noise floor).

The other link uses a Prius as a fixed generator (no electric drive motor operation) and would probably have less of an issue with HF.

The second link did not mention frequency and details of the setup--But for a field day, I would expect HF operations too.

Anyway, don't have a Prius and have not done HF in the last 3 decades (and that was not much)... Your experiences may vary.

-Bill
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

The first link also discusses successful installations, including good grounding as a key. As mentioned in that thread it seems the newer models have less RFI, which I thought was interesting. Quote: "I just purchased a new 2011 and have about 11,000 miles on it. I have great usage of my 857D now with an ATAS antenna on it. I see literally no signals coming from the vehicle on the receiver 40 through 10 meters."

The 2nd link discusses his mobile setup, too. Scroll down to the bottom and look at the picture on the right side, for a view of his Kenwood display on the dash. He uses APRS + GPS so you can track him: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wb4apr-9
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Blitz

One Fast Question.

My 2/0 cable is 105C rated SAE J-1127, rated.

when i look that up, it seems it will take at least 200 amps.
    ( for a 50 % duty cycle, it is rated at 400 amps )

Is this correct?

keep in mind this is NOT inside a house, and is a Mobile application...

but that sure would help me setting up a 200 amp interconnect and class T fuse

because I have 40 feet of this cable and not really enough 3/0 90c to make this fly.

What is your opinion?

200 amps Ok on 2/0 105 C SAE J-1127 ?

Thanks again.

Blitz
    PS
    Distance is between interconnects, on 6 batteries.. so a minimum of 12 feet, probably more like 20 to be honest.
  • Blitz

I will be using this method of interconnecing the batteries ( 6 )
    all equal length cables

Attachment not found.

the Cables feeding the interverter will be 4/0 ( 200 amp class t fuse , Anderson SB 350 connectors/ w handles between the bank, "after the fuse" ...and then to the 12 volt inverter)
  • Blitz

Just wanted to bump this out there again....

The Holidays have slowed things down, but everything is sitting there ready to go.

Question:

IS 200 amps continuous Ok on 2/0 105 C SAE J-1127 ?

Interconnecting 6 batteries...
    no more than 20 ft total distance round trip ( total cable length), and I can probably shorten this a bit to best estimate of 17 ft total ( interconnecting batts )

then routing to a class T fuse and 4/0 to the inverter.

Some of the ratings I have seen are at 400 amps for a 50% duty cycle,
    and a few have the cable rated at 300 amps.

I just want 200 amps ....
    in a MOBILE application...

Should I proceed?

Thanks again...

Sorry about the order of these posts....
    The Thread structure here ....
    I have not mastered yet.

???Do You think I can "count" an Anderson SB 350, as a "disconnect" between the inverter and the bank??
  • coominya
    coominya Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭

I have bought several ex-telecom, ex-firealarm batteries over the years and the majority (80%) probably, have let me down. They just don't have the depth of discharge and I suspect sitting on float for a couple of years and never being drawn down cruels them. All of them were AGM batteries and many had cells that had outgassed liquid electrolyte. Not good for a battery that has essentially no reserve fluid. Not trying to put down your purchase at all, just my experience in case you find a similar problem down the road.

I think your plan for a mobile power setup is a good one. Anything we attempt with solar is a big step in the direction of self sufficency I believe.
    EDIT:
    I found this article on how to interconnect multiple batteries a while back and it made good sense to me.
    http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
  • Blitz

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting it figured out, as far as the amp and wire size.
    I'm gonna do it the way i think is best, using the 2/0 for interconnects.
    And 4/0 from the combined bank to the inverter.

105 c, i'm gonna trust for 200 amps.

I have all of the batteries balanced and equal, all within .10 of a volt, most within .03 volt.

The date code is 2011 on the batteries, and I've had them for at least 2 years, keeping them charged.
    Its a good serious run.

If they let me down,
    I can get better batteries pretty easily, but used.

all of the connections will "transplant" , so really none of this is wasted effort.

Shopping Anderson 4/0 and 2/0 sb 350 contacts at a reasonable price.
    Sometimes its cheaper to get the entire housing and contacts , than buying the contacts by themsleves...

Its all gonna work out.
    98% of everythng is sitting here.... just need those contacts.

then panels.. and a good charge controller that are relatively portable and not fixed to the vehicle.

Its all gonna work out.

At least I'm not using coat hanger and bailing wire to make something :)

Thanks for the Reply Mate :)

BTW that link you posted is exactly how i'm hooking up the batteries... " method 3 " is for me.
  • Blitz
    I realize this is an old thread now.
    So am I :)

Just wanted to do a brief update.

It takes a LONG TIME to get this stuff together.
    It takes a 'really' long time to connect everything... make sure all cables are the same length, take the twist out of the cables for the "way they lay", and for the terminals and connectors to "relax" in their "comfortable position"... and be oriented correctly for the anderson housings.
    Heat shrink, interconnects, disconnects...
    WOW..
    just ...it takes forever, my fingers are still cut up, and I'm sure I have toxic copper poisoning and aluminum in my blood :)

Just an update....

I decided to NOT solder my connections...
    No solder on the Anderson SB 350 contacts ( at 4/0, 3/0 ) ( and 2/0 and 1/0 "for sb 175's)
    Becasue.... when i got everything crimped properly.... I just could not justify the "need" for it.
    Those anderson contacts ROCK.

I bet I would have only increased the connection by less than 5 % by soldering them after crimping.
    I really dont think I could have got much solder in there, after crimping...

I did some solder tests on some old Anderson 3/0 and 4/0 contacts that I had laying around....
    they still had 3 inches of 4/0 and 3/0 cable crimped into the contacts
    The heat required would have melted my nice 105c cables... had I soldered every connection in my Mobile set up.
    they really discolored , the test insulation got really soft, and the copper looked brown when I tested the solder fill.

I wanted to do it.... just to be "above correct"
    But in reality.....
    Just could not justify the effort and the potential heat damage to the conductor and the contact and the insulation.

I'm gonna take some pics soon and post them up....

You guys are right about the telecom batteries.... they dont have enough depth of discharge capacity for long periods of time.
    they like to float... and have a small discharge... and now they are used to that after several years of baby ing them,

Everything I built is upgradable...
    And everything I built... I honestly expect a 30 year lifespan from all the cables, connections and disconnects.
    I think it would take a salt water immersion bath to destroy what i have built.

Just a brief update...

I know it does not say much....

Just staying in motion" forward ", and the responses above were not falling on deaf ears.

Now I want about 1000 watts of panels... for about 8 amps of charging. Off the grid...
    And thats minimum.
    Thank G for the Freedom 458, with a 100 amp charger output.
    The Xantrex Tru Charge 40 amp "dual bank" charger, can still be used by disconnecting one bank from the junction blocks, and using some custom made sb 50 connections to each battery ( all equal length for equal charging on 2 banks )

This stuff takes forever to do it right.

Well well worth it though Guys.

1000 watts of PV is gonna be bare emergency minimum...

I can see needing to eventually go to 24 volt, and get more AMPS from the Solar.

So far, this has cost me the anderson connections... and a lot of time.

Everything else has been sitting around for years....

I feel really good finally getting it done 70 % correct for the Professionals, and 100 % correct for my newbie status ;)
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭✭
    You are extremely lucky to have a good source of cheap batteries. I've killed a number of batteries over the years. Keep using the cheap batteries as long as you can...

Try to find a way to get the inverter to cut off power around 11.5 volts. This is 100 times easier on the battery bank. For tools that take over ~8amps, fire up a genset for extended work. 13 or 15 amp saws just destroy batteries in very short order. Air compressors are also giant battery killers.

Perhaps your charge controller indicates battery voltage? When it is sunny, the read out will be somewhere in between the batteries true voltage and the voltage that is charging the batteries.

Mostly used my solar for operating the tools for four years or so. You are right...it is the most complicated thing I've ever encountered. 12 volt is still pretty simple compared to 24 and 48....to me. Seems simple enough...after it is done of course.

Hang on for the solar adventure...it lasts awhile.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries