midnight solar Kid MPPT charge controller--Remote Display?

petertearai
petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
Hi. is there a remote screen for the midnight charge controller . Friend considering up grading . putting inverter and charge controller in shed and need to monitor state of charge in house . If so what distance can the charge controller be from the house for the remote screen ?
2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: midnight solar Kid MPPT charge controller--Remote Display?

The Whiz Bang works with the Midnite Classic and the Midnite Kid, I don't think the Midnite kide has a remote display feature, but I'm not sure, the classic has several options, it can be hard wired or you can set it up to be monitored via wifi.

The Whiz Bang Jr is just the battery monitoring feature of these charge controllers.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • petertearai

Thanks for that . Just need to see how far the hard wired remote can be from the controller. Wifi not realy an option as internet via cell phone network , hence verry expensive .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Peter, if you had a Classic you do not need internet if you just want to monitor it locally, get a "bridge" and plug the Classic into it, a wifi modem for your computer, connect the Classic to the modem and you off to the races... but you have a KID...:cry:

I believe there is a thread over on the MidNite forum about the max distance the WBjr is good for...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Photowhit
    Thanks for that . Just need to see how far the hard wired remote can be from the controller. Wifi not realy an option as internet via cell phone network , hence verry expensive .

okay, I still don't understand. Which charge controller do you need information about? The kid doesn't have a remote display. Are you perhaps talking about the battery temp sensor? or how far the Whiz bang can be away from the Monitor?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Peter,

A network connection to the Classic 150 can be up to 328 feet long. I do not believe the Kid has remote monitoring.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • petertearai

Sorry for my unprecise Question . Haven't yet purchased the midnight controller. Just wanted to check if the midnight could be checked and adjusted remotely like the outback with a Mate. It seems the midnight is a bit more sophisticated and can have a 100 meter Ethernet cable connected to it and then a laptop connected to the other end of that cable and all sorts of information gleened from it , including state of charge.
    Thanks all as usual for your replys.
    Regard s
    Peter
  • Photowhit

The guys who designed the original outback are the same guys who designed the Midnite classic, if your comfortable with computer interface, the classic lite has most of the function of the classic, with a minimal display. and a bit cheaper. I don't think it comes with a whiz bang jr either. Basically for adding capacity to a system they can be used as stand alone units.