Renogy Solar Panels

verdigo
verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
Renogy has some great prices. Anyone have any input regarding quality? They are under $1 per watt shipped.

Thanks

Dennis

Comments

• rich
    rich Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Renogy Solar Panels
    verdigo wrote: »
    Renogy has some great prices. Anyone have any input regarding quality? They are under $1 per watt shipped.

Thanks

Dennis
    Hello, thought I would respond to this, I have 6 renogy panels, 4 poly and 2 mono(I like the mono )having them over a year now...saying that: all of my 6 renogy panels are built well ..rigid and preform as well as any panel ive been exposed to.....I will be purchasing more in the future(mono)....hope this helps
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Good prices, reasonable quality. However, I think it prudent to be sure to look inside the junction boxes just to make sure you are happy with the workmanship.
  • verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭

Thanks for the reply's. Hope they are okay. Their on the way.
  • Chris11
    Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
    verdigo wrote: »

Thanks

Dennis

I know this is an older post but can you tell me where the Renogy panels are at that price? Thanks.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris11 wrote: »
    I know this is an older post but can you tell me where the Renogy panels are at that price? Thanks.

Hi Chris,

I recently bought twelve 300 watt Renogy panels at www.renogy-store.com . Price is 234.59 but on the 4th of july and Labour Day weekends they were 10% off so about 216 dollars per panel. I assume they will do the same on Thanksgiving and Christmas. The shipping is expensive, about 200.00 plus 10 to 25 dollars per panel depending how many you buy. So with shipping my 12 panels were about 86 cent per watt. The more you buy the cheaper the shipping per panel. I haven't wired mine up yet but the specs look pretty good.
    Best of luck,

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Make sure the renogy panels you purchase meet the NREL/FED/CSI standard. If not you are stuck with panels that depreciate faster than the GT rated panels and don't meet the criteria for the 25 year true depreciation limitations. They also don't meet the fed tax credit for 30%.
    Here is the current list according to CSI.
    Attachment not found.
  • AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Raj174 wrote: »
    Hi Chris,

I recently bought twelve 300 watt Renogy panels at www.renogy-store.com . Price is 234.59 but on the 4th of july and Labour Day weekends they were 10% off so about 216 dollars per panel. I assume they will do the same on Thanksgiving and Christmas. The shipping is expensive, about 200.00 plus 10 to 25 dollars per panel depending how many you buy. So with shipping my 12 panels were about 86 cent per watt. The more you buy the cheaper the shipping per panel. I haven't wired mine up yet but the specs look pretty good.
    Best of luck,

Rick

Of course, the Renogy 100-watt panels go for more than $1/rated Watt ($149.99 for the monocrystalline panels and $144.99 for the polycrystalline panels), but those smaller panels also qualify for free shipping. For a small PV system such as the one I'm planning for mounting on an RV, they appear to be a pretty good value.
  • fun2drive
    fun2drive Registered Users Posts: 6

I am planning on using a 10KW PV system and was not aware of the certification requirements. Now that I looked the only one I can locate for my house is the Solar Ratings and Certification Corporation (SRCC)
    https://secure.solar-rating.org/Certification/Ratings/RatingsSummaryPage.aspx?type=1
    Where I am located I don't have any local requirements to meet except for the IEEE 1547 connecting to the local utility.
    Thanks for the information on the panels needing this certification.
    I was unaware of this...
  • Plowman
    Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure the renogy panels you purchase meet the NREL/FED/CSI standard. If not you are stuck with panels that depreciate faster than the GT rated panels and don't meet the criteria for the 25 year true depreciation limitations. They also don't meet the fed tax credit for 30%.
    Here is the current list according to CSI.
    Do you have a link to the screen shot you posted? Tried to google it but couldn't find it. CSI I assume is California Solar Initiative, NREL is National Renewable Energy Laboratory. What is FED?

I'm not clear on what you mean by depreciation. Resale value? Or power production? If the latter, how do you figure?

I was also unaware of panel certification requirements to get the federal tax credit. More info on this?
  • SolarPowered
    Plowman wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the screen shot you posted? Tried to google it but couldn't find it. CSI I assume is California Solar Initiative, NREL is National Renewable Energy Laboratory. What is FED?

I'm not clear on what you mean by depreciation. Resale value? Or power production? If the latter, how do you figure?

I was also unaware of panel certification requirements to get the federal tax credit. More info on this?

http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/pv_modules.php

All CSI qualifying contractors, equipment, etc are on this website. I am registered with CSI.

You appear to live in Oregon so you will want to be directed to thsi website.

http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/RENEW/Pages/solar/Support-RETC.aspx

Oregon initiative seems to have a benefit VS California initiative. Apparently there is a credit available for a minimum size of 200watts. For FED and state of california the minimum requirement is 500watts.
  • Plowman
    http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/equipment/pv_modules.php

All CSI qualifying contractors, equipment, etc are on this website. I am registered with CSI.

You appear to live in Oregon so you will want to be directed to thsi website.

http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/RENEW/Pages/solar/Support-RETC.aspx

Oregon initiative seems to have a benefit VS California initiative. Apparently there is a credit available for a minimum size of 200watts. For FED and state of california the minimum requirement is 500watts.

Thanks for the links.

Since your California link is a list of "Incentive Eligible Photovoltaic Modules in Compliance with SB1 Guidelines," it looks like Renogy panels do qualify for tax credits. But these appear to be state tax credits, not federal.

The Oregon link only says "new UL listed equipment." They do require the work to be "verified" by a certified "tax credit solar technician," whatever that means. I was under the impression that a licensed contractor had to do the work to be eligible for the state tax credit, but apparently they just have to "verify" it. Not sure if it'd be worth the trouble and cost for my little redneck off grid system.

The IRS's Form 5695 says very little about eligible equipment aside from this: "Qualified solar electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the United States." Pretty broad.
  • SolarPowered
    Thanks for the links.

Since your California link is a list of "Incentive Eligible Photovoltaic Modules in Compliance with SB1 Guidelines," it looks like Renogy panels do qualify for tax credits. But these appear to be state tax credits, not federal.

The Oregon link only says "new UL listed equipment." They do require the work to be "verified" by a certified "tax credit solar technician," whatever that means. I was under the impression that a licensed contractor had to do the work to be eligible for the state tax credit, but apparently they just have to "verify" it. Not sure if it'd be worth the trouble and cost for my little redneck off grid system.

The IRS's Form 5695 says very little about eligible equipment aside from this: "Qualified solar electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the United States." Pretty broad.

You need to go to Dsire.org

http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=US37F&re=0&ee=0
    • Equipment must be certified for performance by the Solar Rating Certification Corporation (SRCC) or a comparable entity endorsed by the government of the state in which the property is installed.

FYI CSI california Solar Initiative is the highest standard for performing panels, any state can follow californias guidelines and it will pass.
  • Plowman

I read that link while googling. Your reference to certified equipment is to solar water heating. Solar electric just says:

Solar-electric property

There is no maximum credit for systems placed in service after 2008.
    Systems must be placed in service on or after January 1, 2006, and on or before December 31, 2016.
    The home served by the system does not have to be the taxpayer’s principal residence.

FYI CSI california Solar Initiative is the highest standard for performing panels, any state can follow californias guidelines and it will pass.
    I'm more interested in the lowest standards LOL

I think maybe your initial statement that the 30% federal tax credit requires "certified" equipment was misstated. Perhaps you meant state tax credits? I can't find any evidence that the federal tax credit requires any special certification of equipment.

Regardless, it appears that some (all?) Renogy panels meet CIS's standards, so they are eligible for state tax credits, at least in California. Some (all?) are also UL listed, so they're eligible in Oregon. Two states down, 48 to go! 49 if you include Canada :p
  • SolarPowered
    I'm more interested in the lowest standards LOL

I think maybe your initial statement that the 30% federal tax credit requires "certified" equipment was misstated. Perhaps you meant state tax credits? I can't find any evidence that the federal tax credit requires any special certification of equipment.

Regardless, it appears that some (all?) Renogy panels meet CIS's standards, so they are eligible for state tax credits, at least in California. Some (all?) are also UL listed, so they're eligible in Oregon. Two states down, 48 to go! 49 if you include Canada :p

What ever, buy what you want but when you get audited, or you don't qualify for NEM, don't say I didn't tell you so.
    Regardless of utility provider they can decline a contract with you, if they feel your system doesn't meet a standard of efficiency. PG&E in california requires the EPBB standard in order to qualify for NEM, so if the Renogy panel doesn't plug into the EPBB calculator PG&E "the utility provider" will reject a NEM term agreement, so even if you do get 30% tax credit, being less efficient or what not meeting the standard, the ROI means nothing when there is no over production pay out. Without an over production pay out, or a meter to record production for the grid, the panel type is useless and works against the ROI, even if you do get a 30% tax credit.
    http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/shared/solar/solareducation/ebpp_calculator_explanation.pdf

http://www.csi-epbb.com/default.aspx
  • Plowman
    What ever dude buy what you want but when you get audited, or you don't qualify for NEM, don't say I didn't tell you so.
    Regardless of utility provider they can decline a contract with you, if they feel your system doesn't meet a standard of efficiency. PG&E in california requires the EPBB standard in order to qualify for NEM, so if the Renogy panel doesn't plug into the EPBB calculator PG&E "the utility provider" will reject a NEM term agreement, so even if you do get 30% tax credit, being less efficient or what not meeting the standard, the ROI means nothing when there is no over production pay out. Without an over production pay out, or a meter to record production for the grid, the panel type is useless and works against the ROI, even if you do get a 30% tax credit.
    http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/shared/solar/solareducation/ebpp_calculator_explanation.pdf

http://www.csi-epbb.com/default.aspx
    Calm down Francis, your own link says Renogy panels are CSI certified. Did you read it?

All of your links have been to state tax credit requirements. Your initial post specifically mentioned the federal tax credit. I'm waiting for verification of that statement, something related to solar electric, not solar hot water. Are you aware there are differences between state and federal requirements with regard to renewable tax credits?

And people buying Renogy panels generally won't be concerned about the grid-tie requirements of their local utility, these are primarily off-grid panels.

I tried to be civil and humorous, but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder, so I'll just end this discussion here. Nice talking to ya.
  • SolarPowered
    Calm down Francis, your own link says Renogy panels are CSI certified. Did you read it?

All of your links have been to state tax credit requirements. Your initial post specifically mentioned the federal tax credit. I'm waiting for verification of that statement, something related to solar electric, not solar hot water. Are you aware there are differences between state and federal requirements with regard to renewable tax credits?

And people buying Renogy panels generally won't be concerned about the grid-tie requirements of their local utility, these are primarily off-grid panels.

I tried to be civil and humorous, but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder, so I'll just end this discussion here. Nice talking to ya.

Calmed down, edited my post so I'm not such a dill head. I'm not very humorous when it comes to a profession that I am passionate about and people say they don't mind buying junk. I don't find it funny.

if you want inexpensive but performs great and has a reputation for quality, Canadian Solar VS the Renogy for the price per watt is better. The Canadian solar panels avg $.86 per watt. Its a chinese cell panel just like renogy, and has a much higher quality standard.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

He was joking-- LOL -- Laughing Out Loud.

By the way, UL is not the only agency... There are other NRTL (nationally recognized testing laboratories) that are usually just fine too. Note, the laboritory has to be recognized for the type of item(s) being listed.

https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SolarPowered
    BB. wrote: »
    He was joking-- LOL -- Laughing Out Loud.

By the way, UL is not the only agency... There are other NRTL (nationally recognized testing laboratories) that are usually just fine too. Note, the laboritory has to be recognized for the type of item(s) being listed.

https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

-Bill

NRTL is the big one for the FED tax credit.
    I had a friend that bought the aftermarket chinese "sunpower" panel made by HITEC, it is the 425Wp panel with sunpower cells, but its 100% chinese made. It only came with a UL stamp logo, but didn't list the UL numbers for compliance, and it wasn't recognized by NRTL, EPBB, etc. He thought he would get away with the tax credit by submitting the sunpower spec sheet in the permit set VS the Hitec spec sheet in the permit set. Mind you he only paid $.79 watt for the panels, and then wanted the tax credit too. 6 months after filing for the credit he was audited. Because it was fraud it disqualified the entire system for the tax credit. So yield caution and make sure that all the certifications are in order.

The main issue is safety, secondly its whether or not the panel was tariff @30% before importing, or brought fresh off the boat from customs, and bypassing regulations.
    The panels also have to meet tier 1 in order to get thefed tax credit for efficiency purposes teh fed wants to know that for a 30% credit or return, that the product has minimal depreciation, after all its the governments money when it comes to tax credits.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NRTL is the big one for the FED tax credit.

??? You do understand that NRTL stands for National Recognized Test Lab? UL, TUV, ETL....

Here is another list of NRTL w/ symbols OSHA's list.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.

He understands that--There is a lot of NRTL/UL fraud in Asia--Fraudulent UL holograms, items sold are not part of NRTL program, etc.

The example given was UL listed data sheet was submitted for non-UL listed product installed--Got audited and entire system tax credit was pulled due to the fraud (if I reworded correctly).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit

Well, the reason I inquired is the pricing he had posted reflect the Evergreen panels from a couple years ago, sold by sun elec, which I purchased as well, I pulled the ETL sheet for them before I purchased...

Kinda sounded like he was referring to the NRTL as a lab it's self....

I had no intention of besmirching Solarpowered's character, he's helped many here and appears quite knowledgeable.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.

For those of us with gray hair---There were times past when NRTL was not the same as UL... Many countries and even cities (aka New York City) had written UL (or their country's NRTL) into their codes/laws.

There was a transition period to the present NRTL system where something that was "legal" in the US, was not legal in NYC because if we used TUV/ELT/CSA instead of UL.

-Bill
  • Photowhit

I've got a few grey hairs myself, I was surprised to NSF listed, indeed they changed the acronym to mean nothing...lol, Use to be National Sanitary Foundation, and they were the threshold for plumbing...
  • SolarPowered
    BB. wrote: »
    He understands that--There is a lot of NRTL/UL fraud in Asia--Fraudulent UL holograms, items sold are not part of NRTL program, etc.

The example given was UL listed data sheet was submitted for non-UL listed product installed--Got audited and entire system tax credit was pulled due to the fraud (if I reworded correctly).

-Bill

BINGO! There are Chinese companies, and as well companies in the Middle East, and phillipines, and India, that don't actually pay for the testing lab licensing, but will counterfeit the stamp of approval as if it is a legitimate panel. I came across this issue myself purchasing panels from USG, and a couple other eBay/alibaba vendors.
    People need to be more aware.
    some companies pay for the stamped licensing on one make and model panel they manufacture, but then also take that stamp which doesn't qualify for other make and models and still use that stamp on the name plate.
  • fun2drive

OK guys I need some clarification and education.
    My understanding for federal residential renewable energy tax credit is that the Solar Rating and Certification Corp (SRCC) or laboratories that SRCC approves for independent testing and certification or an entity that the state approves can provide an SRCC number with the manufacturers model number, date, etc. The state approval I would guess uses some other certification number but not sure.
    The reason I say this is that the SRCC web site
    http://www.solar-rating.org/certification/collector.html
    The guidance from the Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit
    http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=US37F
    and IRS form 5695
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf
    all call out a required SRCC number.

My guess is states like California which also provide incentives require a great deal more data than this federal guidance does to qualify.

For my application in Florida and the county of Okaloosa I know of no authority like California has to approve or provide a certification number. Florida has no incentives and the last Florida counties incentives have expired (as far as I can tell).

For those that have filed for the Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit does this sound right?
    What am I missing? I plan to have a solar panel company doing my install because of my 35 foot tile roofs but I want to be sure what is used will not trip me up because it doesn't meet certification.
    What am I missing and overlooking?
    Sorry to be so long winded...
  • Photowhit

Did you read over the linked info? SRCC relates to solar thermal "Water Heaters" perhaps I missed it but I thought we were talking photovoltaics?

From Federal link you provided; "Solar water heating property must be certified by SRCC or a comparable entity endorsed by the state where the system is installed."

Gulf Power does have some renewable energy programs, though likely they have spent their quota at this time of the year, you might check to see if they will be funding more next year.

Here's a link to Florida incentives.
  • fun2drive

Yes I did read it over and did not comprehend this statement as meaning for heating water
    From SRCC

ABOUT US - PURPOSE

The Solar Rating & Certification Corporation currently administers a certification, rating and labeling program for solar collectors and a similar program for complete solar water heating systems.
    I read solar collector as including PV as well which isn't the case.

My power is Chelco and it doesn't have any incentives going on for my area neither does Florida.
    I already reviewed those.

I was wrong on the SRCC and will look for what national lab certifications that are on PV panels produced.
    Thanks for the clarification.
  • Chris11
    Chris11 Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Raj174 wrote: »
    Hi Chris,

Best of luck,

Rick

Thanks Rick. I looked over Renogy's pages and I'll probably buy some of their panels. Stupidly, I've been buying panels over the years, different wattage and sizes, so when I install them next year it should make for some fun.

Chris