Suppliers and feedback on 120VAC micro inverters for use with PV panels

I am looking for a 120VAC micro inverter to mount to PV panels that will allow me to plug into a standard 120VAC outlet rather than grid tie it into the 240VAC breaker panel. My goal is to string together 2-4 PV panels (number of panels limited by the maximum current a 120VAC outlet can support).

I have found a few suppliers of 120VAC micro inverters and wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with them. Below are some of those I found after searching the Internet. Some have high shipping costs ($100-$150) since they are shipped from China to the US with 20+ day shipping times. In many cases the shipping cost is higher than the product cost.

HTAC Micro-Inverter 300-320 watt 12-60VDC Low Volt Input - $169
-
Caki Power IP65 - $137
-

DIY Solar WV-250 - $140
-

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Suppliers and feedback on 120VAC micro inverters for use with PV panels

Do not touch these with a 40 foot power pole. They are dangerous and illegal to install.
    There have been numerous threads discussing these sort of "plug-n-play" inverters and why they are a bad idea.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think you will get anyone here to recommend doing what your trying to do. In the USA it is generally illegal to back-feed the grid without the utilities permission. You run the risk of overloading the circuit you pick to push to. And un-permitted installs are a big red flag for insurance companies and may prevent them from having liability and paying on a policy.

Better to back up 2 steps and do it correctly.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

I'll let others point out that there are a variety of reasons why this isn't a good idea. Ignoring that, it might work to use a UL compliant Enphase micro inverter + a 240VAC to 120VAC transformer.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    jonr wrote: »
    I'll let others point out that there are a variety of reasons why this isn't a good idea. Ignoring that, it might work to use a UL compliant Enphase micro inverter + a 240VAC to 120VAC transformer.

Whereas it would be better quality equipment, the installation would be subject to the same legal and technical problems.