Who built this panel mount?

I'm looking for a good way to ground mount 12 Sharp 245 watt panels and I saw a commercial installation the other day that looked really good. Problem is I don't know who made it or if it is even available for sale. So I thought I'd post a picture and see if anybody recognizes it or maybe has a better design.
I kind of like the two post design so I can put a steel cabinet below it for the equipment.
Or maybe not! It seems the img file is too large to load (2.5Mb). So I guess I'll just ask the question if anybody has seen any good two-post designs? And find a way to scale the jpg file for later...

Thanks all

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Who built this panel mount?

You can also host the picture on an image sharing or file sharing site that does not require a login and then put a link to the picture into your post.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • jebatty
    jebatty Solar Expert Posts: 56

Schletter makes high quality, commercial grade ground mounts.
  • Reddy Kilowatt
    Reddy Kilowatt Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭

Thanks for the tips. I'll see what I can find. Darn it, I used to have photo software that made it simple to resize photos, but no more.

The mount I'm looking at sits on two 6"pipes about 10' apart. The 'magic' is the backbone of 4" pipe u-bolted to the top of the uprights. Nine tapered ribs are welded to the backbone, spaced about 2 feet apart, each rib being about 9' long and centered on the backbone. Finished out with C-purlin on each side and cross braced, it is a very clean design with about 9' x 16' of panel area.

Not quite a thousand words, but you get the picture! ;)
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I used to have photo software that made it simple to resize photos, but no more....

IrfanView is small, easy to use and Free!

I saw a simple ground mount that used some anchors for small building, these anchor had platforms on the top and 2 'diggers' and were about 2' long, depending on your location that should get you below the frost level. They had been done in a simple triangle design my only negative, I would have made them at least 1 foot off the ground, as is he left them about 6" out of the ground and another 4" with a PT 2x4. I asked and he said they cost @$7 each. I dn't know if he dug a hole, didn't look like it, most of the soil around here has a lot of clay in it, I doubt you could let them dig themselves into the ground here. he had 6 panels in portrait on 8 anchors 3 front and 3 back.

I looked around and am having a hard time searching this morning, and couldn't find the anchors, but I like the idea so may keep a few on hand for other installs.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭

Here is one for you.

http://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/
    Paul
  • Reddy Kilowatt

Attachment not found.Well, pixresizer threw my virus checker into red alert... BUT Ifranview loaded ok! Heck I could get used to that! Anyway, here's a trial download of the aforementioned panel mount. Keep your fingers crossed...
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Well, pixresizer threw my virus checker into red alert...

That's odd. Never has done that to me before. Been using / downloading it for years, for myself and others.

Anyway, here's a trial download of the aforementioned panel mount. Keep your fingers crossed...

Dude, I hope you have a TON of money. That's going to be one hell of a solar array mount.
    Paul
  • DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I don't know who built that panel mount, but IronRidge makes a similar type mount. Brackets and rails not inexpensive but very solid.

http://www.ironridge.com/products/polemounting/overview
    http://www.ironridge.com/products/groundmounting/overview

The mount you're looking at seems over engineered unless it is designed for a direct hit by hurricane.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • Reddy Kilowatt

I must have missed it because I didn't find a two-pole mount in Ironridge. And since you mentioned it. I'm putting this in Hurricane country in SE Texas. Rita did a number on us a few years back!
  • DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    I must have missed it because I didn't find a two-pole mount in Ironridge. And since you mentioned it. I'm putting this in Hurricane country in SE Texas. Rita did a number on us a few years back!

There is no engineering reason why you could not build their single pole mount with two poles. Would be twice as strong and still be less expensive than the mount in your oic. Worth looking into IMO.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Some items that throw red flags and I don't know how a AHJ let these items fly.
    Attachment not found.
  • Reddy Kilowatt

I don't have a clue what you're talking about! What's a AHJ and what threw the red flag? Are you saying the mount pictured has visible flaws? Educate me, please. Thanks
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a clue what you're talking about! What's a AHJ and what threw the red flag? Are you saying the mount pictured has visible flaws? Educate me, please. Thanks

AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) This is your local city, or county government building department.

Bolts shear and that easily looks like a 1 ton frame with (4) 7/8" bolts. I have a tow hitch that will tow 3/4 tons and it requires (4) 7/8" bolts. Add about 80~120MPH winds to that frame work and it will start shearing the bolts.

Secondly that system is improperly system grounded. PVC is non conductive so its hard to believe that from the array to the string inverter that there is bare copper running from the array to inverter to ground rods, whihc I might add the array as well shopuld have some sort of uffer ground if the concrete piers steel reinforced.

It's an extremely bad idea to use PVC above soil grades and with most AHJ's PVC for solar is only allowable under ground below soil grades permissible by the inspector, mostly because of traffic conditions, public access, etc.. Also that PVC conduit is not anchored or strapped every 4' or less according to NEC code, its a joke
  • Reddy Kilowatt

Thanks for the input. That sort of information is what I was looking for. Actually, I had hoped to identify the manufacturer so I could see what engineering data they posted. This installation was done at a telcom facility so you'd think they would have engineered standards into the work... Oh well, Live and Learn!