What of the millions of people without power because of the severe storms across the US?

13»

Comments

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Re: What of the millions of people without power because of the severe storms across the

Good points on all posts. 2fewtoyz ;) nice blackout, new bosch relays out that handle 40 amp with no problem , 30,85,86,87 only , found in euros 2000---2007. 3/8 10mm lugs .

Im going to be asking questions here for a Gridtied , battery backup system. This winter after all the birds/bugs/ critters have left , I will drop 40 trees (200' plus ) to open up the solar collection area.

VT
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Re: What of the millions of people without power because of the severe storms across the
    KeithWHare wrote: »
    I do know that counting on a gasoline generator when there is a area-wide power outage is a problem -- very few gas stations were operating here in the first couple of days after the storm.

Which is why its a good idea to keep an emergency 15-20 gallons around at all times, with Stabil. And treat it like it doesn't exist until you are ready to rotate it out with fresh - even if your regular gas can is empty and you need to mow the lawn.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

I keep a few 5 gallon gas cans full at all times. They are in a row. I always use the closest can. When it's empty, it is refilled, and put at the end of the row. All fuel is treated with StaBil, Pri-G, or Seafoam.

I also have an ADDITIONAL ten 5-gallon gas cans on hand. These are empty. Since I'm in hurricane prone FL, we have plenty of warning when a big storm is heading our way. I fill up all the gas cans at that point. I don't bother with fuel stabilizer. It either gets used during the storm, or dumped back into the vehicles once the threat is gone.

One of the big selling items when a storm approaches is gas cans. Walmart usually has stacks of them. Two days before a storm, good luck finding any.

Each 5 gallon can represents about 1 days worth of running my A/C all day. Between the 900 Watts of solar, and a thrifty inverter generator, I have more than two weeks of comfortable living. Granted, I'm only keeping one bedroom cool with the 5000 BTU A/C unit, but that's fine.

Also, if we have a BIG storm coming, the gas cans will go into the back of my pickup truck, along with my generator. We'll be pulling our 25' travel trailer, and getting out of the storm's path. Worry about returning after the dust settles.

My truck gets about 17 MPG on a good day, or 10 MPG when towing. It has a 36 gallon gas tank. When the gas cans are factored in, I can go about 1000 miles before needing fuel.

One thing that's happened during a bugout in the past is someone had gas cans in the bed of their utility trailer, and it was stolen when traffic slowed down. So would you get out and fight some desperate person for YOUR gas? The take away lesson for me was to hide all my resources.

The gas cans are shorter than my generator. Some trucks have a bed that's too shallow to hide my generator, especially if a roll up metal cover is used. The F150 has a deep bed, ideally suited for my hardware. These pics were from a camping trip, not a bug out, so the row of gas cans are not shown:

dscn6347-1.jpg

Lid pulled shut, cover (I made) slipped over the generator:

dscn6349-1.jpg

I can tell you first hand, these gas cans don't pour worth $%*!, especially when trying to get it into a vehicle. I found that using a metal funnel works very well. I used a spring clamp to the gas fillup access door, resting the funnel in the "V" of the clamp.

gas2.jpg

gas1.jpg

Last thing is to remove the stupid fill spout on the gas can, and simply pour the precious juice into the funnel.

I recommend that everyone tries these sort of things. You don't want to find out during an emergency that your plan doesn't work. FWIW, my F150 doesn't have a gas cap, and came with a special funnel. The gas pump nozzle presses two little latches inside the fill port on the truck, which opens a valve, allowing the nozzle to go into the truck. Without the special funnel, it would be a challenge to get the valve to open.

Did I mention it's hurricane season here?
  • techntrek
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    I can tell you first hand, these gas cans don't pour worth $%*!, especially when trying to get it into a vehicle. I found that using a metal funnel works very well. I used a spring clamp to the gas fillup access door, resting the funnel in the "V" of the clamp.

I swear I've spilled far more fuel since they introduced these fume-retaining cans than I ever did in years of running my own lawn mowing business (pouring thousands of gallons of gas) when cans had real spouts. Ones with caps, so they weren't letting any fumes out then, either. Those spills equal lots of fumes, so I don't think they do any good. Just frustrate. I tried one of my cans on my Prius just last week when I rotated my stock and it was awful.

I need to get a manual fuel transfer pump not only so I can get the gas out of my cans and into my car but also get it out of my other two vehicles. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭

race fuel cans still have real spouts and vents. I own 4 of them!

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/containers
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I siphon with one of these... Almost as fast as pouring (1/2 in tank, 1/2 in ground).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BG1X54

Attachment not found.

The metal end has a glass check ball and the weight of the metal end does a good job of holding the end near the bottom of the gas can.

Put the can on something high (ladder/side of pickup truck) and shake the hose in and out a few times to start the siphon.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • techntrek

The race fuel cans are enticing, but at $30 each, ouch.

Thanks for the siphon suggestion, but I need a pump. One of the things I need to do is move fuel directly from vehicle to vehicle without a gas can intermediary. Plus from my bleepin' gas cans into a vehicle.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

like this, they were 'the thing ' last summer...http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/CuttingChopping/ChainsawAccessories/PRD~0283022P/Flo+N+Go+Gas+Pump.jsp?locale=en

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    The take away lesson for me was to hide all my resources.

The gas cans are shorter than my generator. Some trucks have a bed that's too shallow to hide my generator, especially if a roll up metal cover is used. The F150 has a deep bed, ideally suited for my hardware.

Isn't it a bit dangerous to have gas cans and generator in an enclosed space beneath the roll up metal cover? --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • 2manytoyz
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit dangerous to have gas cans and generator in an enclosed space beneath the roll up metal cover? --vtMaps

The gas cans and generator are simply STORED inside the bed of the truck with a roll up cover, not OPERATED. No different than putting them in a shed, garage, or enclosed trailer.

The idea is to keep everything hidden when evacuating. Become less of a target. If someone needs gas, and they see 10-15 gas cans in the back of a pickup truck, things might get real exciting...
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »

That is still basically a siphon but with a built-in squeeze type pump to start the siphon. Using the pump continuously would be a drag.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    The gas cans and generator are simply STORED inside the bed of the truck with a roll up cover, not OPERATED. No different than putting them in a shed, garage, or enclosed trailer.

I understood that you would not operate the generator under cover. I was worried about fume buildup in the enclosed space. I know boaters worry about gasoline fume buildup in their hulls. I thought it was dangerous to store gasoline in a tight shed or enclosed trailer. Do I worry too much?
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    I understood that you would not operate the generator under cover. I was worried about fume buildup in the enclosed space. I know boaters worry about gasoline fume buildup in their hulls. I thought it was dangerous to store gasoline in a tight shed or enclosed trailer. Do I worry too much?
    --vtMaps

You worry too much. :D

Sealed gasoline containers don't vent fumes, so there should be no build-up in the truck bed. More over there is not likely to be any ignition source either (unlike in a boat where there could be wiring in the hull). The mistake too many people make is filling the cans up to the brim. Leave some air space for expansion. I've got 23 litre jerry cans and some 25 litre ones and never put more than 20 litres in at a time. Okay that's because it makes it easier to calculate a 2 stroke mix for the boat (I don't use anymore) and also it's easier for an old man to lift.

I ain't blowed meself up yet; must be doin' summat reet. :p
  • techntrek
    inetdog wrote: »
    That is still basically a siphon but with a built-in squeeze type pump to start the siphon. Using the pump continuously would be a drag.

This is what I'm looking for, although this one doesn't specifically say it is good for gasoline (diesel, oil, water).

http://www.amazon.com/Beckson-109PC-Siphon-Mate-Specialty-Transfer/dp/B000KKB24I/ref=pd_sbs_t_1
  • 2manytoyz
    --vtMaps

The roll up cover is also anything but air tight. It keeps most of the rain out, but plenty of gaps for it to sneak in. There's also no seal on the tailgate/bed interface.

dscn5515.jpg

dscn5516.jpg

dscn5517.jpg

Having hauled gas cans & generator multiple times, I can tell you there's no gas fumes when I drop the tailgate.

I'm not concerned about this method of hauling fuel. Better than hauling it in the cab, and better than placing it in the trunk of a car... the way most everyone without a truck or trailer haul gas cans!
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Back of the 4Runner, strapped to the floor, rear window open. :-)
    But you can still smell it.

In the trailer is better.
  • 2manytoyz

Some related pics found online:

Um, don't do this:

301697_10150878220714440_217860103_n.jpg

Here's a good reason to have fuel stored:

628x471.jpg

628x471caf6stb1.jpg

Another option for those with SUVs:

2955951078_14bb2e13a6_z.jpg

Got your gas cans yet?

gascans.jpg

Heck, I might buy another 10 cans to store empty until a storm approaches. Good barter material if nothing else...
  • inetdog
    techntrek wrote: »
    This is what I'm looking for, although this one doesn't specifically say it is good for gasoline (diesel, oil, water).

http://www.amazon.com/Beckson-109PC-Siphon-Mate-Specialty-Transfer/dp/B000KKB24I/ref=pd_sbs_t_1

I have seen similar in auto supply stores that are specifically rated for gasoline. They are a pain in the arm to operate, but other than that reliable.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

Years ago as a teenager I transferred many gallons of gas with one of these: http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=6314

They work very well for rapid movement of gas from one container to another.

Don't ask how I know.....:roll:
  • techntrek

Bingo! Thanks, that looks like a winner. I contacted the company that makes the pump I showed above and they confirmed it doesn't do gas. I also searched the net for 20 minutes at lunch but didn't find something just right (just drum-mounted pumps rated for petroleum).

Ok, I won't ask about those teenage years. I'm guessing your friends or neighbors wondered why they always got very bad mpg's, and were spending twice as much on gas than they expected.
  • inetdog
    inetdog wrote: »
    I have seen similar in auto supply stores that are specifically rated for gasoline. They are a pain in the arm to operate, but other than that reliable.

This one, for example, looks pretty much like the others, but is supposedly manufacturer rated for gasoline and mixed fuel use: http://www.gemplers.com/product/7722/Hand-Siphon-Pump?pfx=OAWP#TAB-REVIEWS

The difference is in the seal material and the hose material.

The description calls it a "hand siphon pump" but since it is described as "double acting" I have my doubts about that part and one review also says no to siphon operation.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    techntrek wrote: »
    Ok, I won't ask about those teenage years. I'm guessing your friends or neighbors wondered why they always got very bad mpg's, and were spending twice as much on gas than they expected.

Yeah - well actually it was the local Ryder Rent a Truck dealer that might have noticed an occasional dramatic decrease in MPG.... Can't say I'm proud of such juvenile delinquent behavior ...:roll:

The thing is these Jack Rabbit pumps do work extremely well for transferring fuel between vehicles. I find it interesting that they are so hard to find these days. You used to be able to buy them in the local hardware or auto parts store.