Generator vs. elements?

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I am going to have my generator on the North side of the house and of course the prevailing wind is from the North. What do you guys use for protection from the elements for your generators? I have been thinking of a portable/temporary tent like structure or maybe a lean-to.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Generator vs. elements?

I use a shed. Permanent, keeps all types of weather off, and provides room to store stuff.

Go for the lean-to over the tent; better protection and less likely to be damaged.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Are you going to have problems with genset fumes getting into your home?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Build a simple frame out of 2x4 and use a corrugated translucent panel for the roof ? Allow enough overhang so rain does not blow in, and enough air circulation so it does not overheat. And keep the metal off the ground, some 2x4 sleepers under it ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stmar

Fumes should not be a problem, it will be far enough away and the wind should keep things cleared out and no windows or doors on that part of the house. I am going through an existing junctions box and using conductors that are already in place from box into house and they are sealed.
    BB. wrote: »
    Are you going to have problems with genset fumes getting into your home?

-Bill
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I had couple aluminum boxes made for mine, they are 17"w , 26" long , 20" high, open on the end. I guess you'd call them a dog house style. You have to have at least 2 " on each side of the generator the air intake in in the front. The exhaust combines with the cooling air and exits out the back. You don't ever want the generator to get wet.

I have a picture, but can't get to load.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget 1/4 inch mesh to keep mice out. I've had them in air cleaners, alternator housings, almost everywhere you wouldn't expect them to get in.

ralph
  • stmar

I got lucky, my neighbor had a modular fiberglass box that is just right for my needs, big enough for circulation but not enormous. I will leave one side open, away from the wind and it should shelter the generator when it is needed. It is nice having good neighbors that "keep things" because they might be needed someday. It is a nice looking box and will actually look good sitting by the house.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    modular fiberglass box that is just right for my needs, big enough for circulation but not enormous

Fiberglass shower enclosure ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stmar

No, actually it is used for industrial electrical work, large junction box. Heavy duty, watertight, bolt together panels that interlock. About 3' X 3' X 2' high, perfect for the Honda EU2000, there were some extra pieces that I can put together for the base/floor to keep it off the ground.
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Fiberglass shower enclosure ?