DPDT Disconnect

Options
stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
Anyone know where I can get a 30 amp Nema-1 DPDT manual disconnect? I found 100 amp at Home Depot but that is a little overkill and a larger footprint than I want for what I am doing. I have my water well running off of 240 volt grid power but I have a step up transformer that I can use with my inverter if the grid goes down. I have not been able to find a 30 amp or even a 60 so if anyone has a source/vendor where I can find one I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: DPDT Disconnect

Technical note: a "disconnect" is single through (ON/OFF). What you're looking for is a transfer switch to be able to operate the heater from either grid or inverter. Something like this: http://www.solar-electric.com/miso30amp240.html
  • stmar
    Options

I stand corrected and will use the term transfer switch from now on. That seems pricey for a 30 amp switch, the 100 amp was less and I recall in my electrical wholesale days they were around $30 or so but that was many years ago.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    stmar wrote: »
    I stand corrected and will use the term transfer switch from now on. That seems pricey for a 30 amp switch, the 100 amp was less and I recall in my electrical wholesale days they were around $30 or so but that was many years ago.

I'm just saying that if you look for the term "transfer switch" you might find more choices of what you're after.

I think the stuff is kind of expensive myself, but then I'm a notorious cheapskate.
  • wirenut
    wirenut Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Options

a 30 amp double throw is probably quite expensive because they don't sell many of them. I would check at your local electrical supply house. Look for a dealer of Square D or Cutler Hammer products.
    An alternative is to use a 4 space breaker panel, 2 double pole breakers, and a mechanical interlock. The least expensive mechanical interlock is made by GE but will fit not only their breakers but also ITE, Cutler BR series, and Square D Homeline.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • stmar
    Options
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    I had not considered a toggle switch but that may do the trick. Thanks.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

They are quite big as toggle switches go. I use two of them to switch the dryer and hot water heater between battery backup inverter and grid mains direct. They have a center 'OFF' position. Very positive and forceful toggle click action.
  • stmar
    Options

I found these types of drum switches that look interesting: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQEJ41U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QOO2OFKZO66M&coliid=I188SH60PWIGUF
    There were a lot of choices in different brands and configurations/amperages/etc. and very reasonably priced compared to a true transfer switch. Looks like some are being used for grid/alternative/gen transfers per reviews. Has anyone used any of these for transfer purposes?