Another Newbie trying to build his own system.....

Options
Hamfast
Hamfast Solar Expert Posts: 44
Short story long...:)

After mulling the subject over for some number of months, and after a fair amount of research I've decided to build a relatively small off-grid PV solar system to take care of a couple of basement greenhouses and/or to provide emergency power for essentials in the event of a power outage, whether it be short or long term. I do not expect to run a majority of our household appliances in such a scenario....Bye Bye, big-screen TV....... :)

I'm having difficulty with the wire sizing from the panels to the combiner box in the basement. The distance is 40'.
The panels are Conergy P 180M, 180 watts, 24v. I currently have 3 of them, but after talking with a Conergy tech a few days ago, I'm going to get 3 more, for a total of 6. He says that these panels are intended to be run in strings of 2, and that installing them this way will be better for my batteries.

The charge controller is a Xantrex SW MPPT60-150. 24 volts
My inverter is a Xantrex TR3624 120 60. 24 volts
The battery bank will be wired for 24volts. I've currently four 125ah sealed AGM batteries, and I've room to add 12 more as funds allow. I seem to think I'll need to add panels as well..:)

Any feedback is WELCOME! I'm a plumber, and I've been doing my own remodelling on my rentals for over 20 yrs now, including household electric, which has always passed inspection...:) The wire sizing for this project is bothering me. I've tried the online calculators, but I always have questions as to whether or not I've entered the correct inputs.

Thanks .... M. in SE Wisconsin

Off Grid System; 2175W array; 370ah @ 48v (8 L16 Scrubbers in series); XW MPPT60-150 CC; OutBack VFX3648, FlexNet and Mate

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Another Newbie trying to build his own system.....

DONT buy anything yet.

12 batteries for a 24v system is WRONG.

First we need to know your loads.

Then, do you understand that Grid Tie is about 75% of panel label production, and
    battery base off-grid, is only 50% of panel label production. Unless you are gearing up for several
    weeks of no grid, battery system will a) Waste 25% more power in losses than grid-tie b) Need new batteries every 8 years.

Grid tie, 1,080W of PV, produces 810 watts
    Off Grid, only 540 watts

As to wire size and runs, here's a link to a great spreadsheet for figuring that out
    http://www.solar-guppy.com/download/voltage_drop_calculator.zip

My suggestion, if you think you will be "growing" the system over time, is to start off with a 48V system and 4, 12V batteries in series. When they die in a couple years (nearly every one kills their first battery bank, in the first year), you will know if you need to get the 8, 6V batteries for more reserve power, or jump to a 2V battery !! YoW 24, 2V batteries, 600A will be a beast of a system. If you even think you will need to expand to 12 batteries in all that space, a 24v system is wrong.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I fully agree with Mike on the batteries, but for different reasons, you don't want to add new batteries to old. I'd and many, often suggest using Golf cart batteries your first time out, the have a good cost per Amp stored, and maintaining them will add to your knowledge base.

The TR3624 is a MSW(modified sine wave) inverter, so if you have pumps and things with motors you want to run, MSW inverters will shorten their life and use more energy to run them. unless you need the 3600watts, a xantrex 1800watt prosine can be had in the same neighborhood.

As to the long wire runs, put your combiner box out at the panels and only run a single pair of wire(at higher voltage) to the charge controller. Looks like the Conergy P 180M is a true 24 volt panel with a VOC of 45V I don think you can run more than 2 in a string, so 4- 72volt strings to the combiner box then a single 72v for the run to the basement.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    As to the long wire runs, put your combiner box out at the panels and only run a single pair of wire(at higher voltage) to the charge controller. Looks like the Conergy P 180M is a true 24 volt panel with a VOC of 45V I don think you can run more than 2 in a string, so 4- 72volt strings to the combiner box then a single 72v for the run to the basement.
    That's what my cousin did. His panels are close to 200 feet from his cabin. Series wired his panels, sending 72 volts to his TS MPPT-60 controller in the cabin, and it works great.
  • Hamfast
    Options

Thanks for the inputs..:)
    Mike, I did my load calcs awhile ago using a calculator here...http://www.freesunpower.com/index.php . Ran around the house reading small print and doing the math. I actually tossed in the fridge, 2 freezes and the big TV..:) What I got was 3000 watt hours after rounding up for misc lighting and such. After daily usage that number went to about 16K. Then x3 for 3 days w/ no sun, then x2 for 50% discharge of battery bank gave my around 91,000. For a 48v system the battery bank came out to about 1900ah, and at 24v this came out to about 7500ah.
    I have NOT won the lottery... :)
    I wanted to run at 48 volts, but upfront component costs were a bit much, so I've settled at 24v.
    Regarding the grid-tie efficiencies, I was not aware but this system will never be tied into the grid, ever..:)
    Your comment on the batteries is intriguing. I don't need to expand w/ 12v's, but the 4 are purchased and unless they will blow up my inverter or other components I should still be able to run them in two paralleled 24v series. If you've a link to pros/cons or do's/dont's regarding battery voltages vs system voltages, I'm all ears... :)
    Photowhit.. I wanted to go pure-sine, but again, upfront costs dictated that I settle. When (if?) work ever picks up again I'll be able to swap out inverters and otherwise tweak my system; perhaps a battery bank comprised of 2v batteries? :) Regarding the panel voltage; how does 24 + 24 = 72? Or is it 45 + 45 = 90, then factored down according to some table somewhere? If two of these panels are wired in series, are they now running at 48v? If so is this where I begin my wire sizing?
    Xantrex has a nifty panel calculator that lets you enter the specific panels and other variables for the XW MTTP 60 150. According to Xantrex, I can run 9 double strings through this CC, or 18 panels.. :)

Thanks for the feedback..:) Looking forward getting whacked, just do it nicely.. :)

Off Grid System; 2175W array; 370ah @ 48v (8 L16 Scrubbers in series); XW MPPT60-150 CC; OutBack VFX3648, FlexNet and Mate

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hamfast wrote: »
    For a 48v system the battery bank came out to about 1900ah, and at 24v this came out to about 7500ah.

I'm confused. 1900Ah @ 48V = 91.2kWh and 7500Ah @ 24V = 180kWh. If nothing is changing but your battery voltage, shouldn't the number of stored kWh be the same?
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options
    For a 48v system the battery bank came out to about 1900ah, and at 24v this came out to about 7500ah.

The 24 v should be just double the 48 v system's capacity, or about 3800 ah. That's nonetheless a huge bank, as it sounds like you've figured out.

One possibility to think about: for my battery-based system at my (grid-connected) home, I went for only 16 hours of normal operation of the intended loads on the battery bank (to no more than 25% DOD). 16 hours is the overnight time between the start and end of meaningful power production from the PV in the winter at my location. Doing this considerably reduced the battery bank size and made the whole system more economical.

However, one advantage I have is that my inverter will automatically go to grid once the battery voltage falls below a certain setpoint, e.g., if it's cloudy and the panels aren't producing enough. So my system goes quickly to grid when solar production is low. Your Xantrex inverter can't switch to grid like this, but perhaps you could set something up for your lights so that they could switch to grid if battery voltage fell (they'd have to be briefly turned off first since you'd be going from MSW to grid, but presumably that would be acceptable to your plants). Maybe you could do this manually at first if you're home enough; get a battery meter with an LBCO that you set reasonably high to keep your batteries from cycling too deeply, and that alerts you if the cut off was hit; you then go switch the power to grid. Of course, with this kind of system design you'd have less power for a prolonged outage and would have to conserve, but you'd still have meaningful production from your panels and would hardly be without juice. And it would save you a lot of money while still allowing you to do what you want.

Simply put: try to look for ways to minimize the battery bank size and complexity, especially when you have the grid available. Over the long term, they are the most expensive, fragile, and maintenance intensive components of the system, and having a huge bank when you have the grid available is mildly insane (IMO, of course).
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Do not rely on load calculations using any formula or spreadsheet found anywhere. Buy a Kill-A-Watt (or similar) meter and get real numbers to work with. The reason being that calculations based on manufacturers' specifications * estimated hours of use are too often wrong both on the Watts and Watt hours used.

Once you get the load numbers "nailed" the rest will fall into place. Hold off on design and purchasing until then or else you'll be tossing money into the trash.
  • Hamfast
    Options

Mr Gunn, your confusion is my fault; I occasionally flub simple math. Re-ran the numbers and came up with just under 3800ah at 24v. Must have punched in 12v instead of 24. Thanks for spotting that, Eric..:)
    Eric, I also like your 16 hour idea, and yes, I generally do things differently than most. Some would call me eccentric...:)
    Coot, a KW meter is on the shopping list for tomorrow. Just put up 8' flourescents in the basement for her bigger greenhouse and I do need to know what they draw. They are on a timer..:)
    I'm relieved to see the uniform insistance from you all that I know my loads before designing my system. Tells me I'm dealing with very experienced folks here. When designing plumbing, process piping, HVAC, fire and medical gas systems, we have to do the same thing...:)

• Photowhit
    Options
    Photowhit.. Regarding the panel voltage; how does 24 + 24 = 72? Or is it 45 + 45 = 90, then factored down according to some table somewhere? If two of these panels are wired in series, are they now running at 48v? If so is this where I begin my wire sizing?

OK, let's talk nomenclature(terms) You have 24v Nominal panels (in name only!) you have panels designed to charge 24 volt batteries. Your panels are; Conergy P 180M They have an output of 36VMP (voltage maximun power under load) and a 45VOC (voltage open ciruit)

....so 36+36=72 and while 45+45=90 and 45+45+45=135VOC well with in your CC's(charge controller) 150 volt max 45+45+45+Wisconson's winter cold morning sun multiplier = toasted (though I've read this has Input over-voltage protection, perhaps it just shuts down until the panels warm and the voltage goes down)
    Xantrex has a nifty panel calculator that lets you enter the specific panels and other variables for the XW MTTP 60 150. According to Xantrex, I can run 9 double strings through this CC, or 18 panels.. :)

Don't need to look at the calculator to tell you at 24 volt(nominal) output that's wrong, likely your plugging in 48 volt. This CC is designed to output 60 amps max, at 24 volts, 60amps x 24 volts = 1440 watts or about 8 panels.

FWIW (for what it's worth) I think you could use a midnite classic 150 and run 2 strings of 3 panels (you'll want to check! I don't know your morning lows) it would cost a bit more but allow you to forgo a combiner box and allow for more explansion as it has a rated output of @90 amps at 24 volts.

If two of these panels are wired in series, are they now running at 48v? 36vmp panels so ...72volts, your charge controller is designed to convert them to the minimum voltage the batteries need, hence the maximum power point tracked (MPPT).

I take it you understood putting the combiner box at the panels and running a single set of wires to the charge controller?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Hamfast
    Options

Thanks, Photo. New nomenclature, as well as the number of math formulas, are a real challenge. :)
    The string calculator that the Conergy tech walked me through while on the phone accounted for record low temp (-27deg) and average high temp (88deg). For my CC it allows for no more than 2 panels per string, so it looks your dead nuts with a 3 panel string toasting the CC. It does have an auto shut down feature as you'd thought. :)
    I get that the CBox will be better placed outside, but I'd like to fuse/breaker each string before/in the CBox and would prefer to keep it inside where the rest of the system will be monitered. This is only a preference; if wire sizing gets to big to get Vdrop down below 2%, out by the panels it goes.
    Back to wire sizing. Should I use 48v nominal or the 72v max?
    I'm thinking 48v is closer to the averge that the string will produce and should be the number used, but there could be considerations I'm not aware of yet.
    I'd still like to get more info on Mike's position that 12 (v?) batteries for a 24v system is wrong. I'm the idiot that has alays needed to know why...:)
    Coot, bought the KWmeter yesterday. Turns out the big TV only ran at .34 KWH with the BlueRay going as well. At 8 hrs usage that comes out to 2.72 KWH per day. One of the upright freezers in the basement only racked up 1.20 KWH/day, calced after 18 hrs of monitoring. The main fridge is metering now and that will be checked tomorrow morn. Do these results sound consistent with what you hve seen in the past?

M ... :)

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Sounds reasonable--but remember fridge/freezers are affected by ambient temperatures. So if it gets hot in the summer, usage will go up (although, it is sunnier in the summer, so most people have more power than winter).

The newer TV's are definitely getting better. Many times, you need to check "power off" usage too... Sat Boxes, DVR's, etc. are known to use about as much power when turned on as when turned "off".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Coot, bought the KWmeter yesterday. Turns out the big TV only ran at .34 KWH with the BlueRay going as well. At 8 hrs usage that comes out to 2.72 KWH per day. One of the upright freezers in the basement only racked up 1.20 KWH/day, calced after 18 hrs of monitoring. The main fridge is metering now and that will be checked tomorrow morn. Do these results sound consistent with what you hve seen in the past?

M ... :)

This is not unusual at all.
    Refrigerators will be worse than freezers as they get opened more and run defrost cycles.
    One hint: look for the video settings menu on your TV. You can usually adjust the brightness down and still have a viewable picture, while knocking a significant amount of power off the draw. I turned my 40" Toshiba down and saved 100 Watts. You can also put it on a power bar and shut the whole thing totally off when not in use. On things like this, watch the Watt draw on the K-A-W when the item being tested is "off". It can be scary how much power they use when not being used!
  • Photowhit
    Options
    ... if wire sizing gets to big to get Vdrop down below 2%, out by the panels it goes.
    Back to wire sizing. Should I use 48v nominal or the 72v max?
    I'm thinking 48v is closer to the averge that the string will produce and should be the number used, but there could be considerations I'm not aware of yet

No, the voltage from the panels will mostly be very close to 36 volts, indeed with a 24V system you carge at 28 volt and above.

While <2% voltage drop is still the standard, if your using a MPPT type charge controllers it might be considered less important, the standard came about for 2 reasons, large drops made PWM charge controllers ineffective and solar panels were much more expensive and copper relativly cheap.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    I'd still like to get more info on Mike's position that 12 (v?) batteries for a 24v system is wrong. I'm the idiot that has alays needed to know why...:)

Ah, the battery thing.
    Mike was objecting to the number of batteries, not the Voltage. It's all about current sharing.
    If you're using 125 Amp hour 12 Volt batteries you need two in series to get 125 Amp hours @ 24 Volts.
    If you want to increase the Amp hour capacity, you have to add more in parallel. You had a number of twelve additional batteries. That alone would be six parallel sets of batteries. This is almost 100% certain to be a disaster for current sharing, even with bus bars.

If you need that kind of capacity (750 Amp hours @ 24 Volts) ditch the small capacity 12 Volt batteries. They will require a lot of extra wires and connections and fuses and almost certainly will end up with some doing all the work while the others just die slowly over time. Using larger capacity batteries in series, even if lower Voltage, works much better. Fewer batteries, fewer connections, fewer wires, and far less chance of them being unequal in strength after use.

And if you need even more capacity, rethink the system Voltage. Here's a little example based 220 Amp hour 6 Volt golf cart batteries in series:
    220 Amp hours @ 12 Volts = 1320 Watt hours @ 50% (two batteries, one interconnect, six cells)
    220 Amp hours @ 24 Volts = 2640 Watt hours @ 50% (four batteries, three interconnects, twelve cells)
    220 Amp hours @ 48 Volts = 5280 Watt hours @ 50% (eight batteries, seven interconnects, twenty-four cells)

Current sharing on a single string is as close to perfect as you can get. Parallel sets, no matter how well-connected, offer increased risk of problems. If you were to try for the 5280 Watt hours on 12 Volts you'd have the same eight batteries but with four interconnects in the strings and an additional eight interconnects for the parallel connections for a total of twelve.
  • Hamfast
    Options

Attachment not found.

Here are my results from the wire sizing calc that Mike provided here.....http://www.solar-guppy.com/download/voltage_drop_calculator.zip

40' from the panels to the CBox inside ( 80' counting pos and neg leads ).
    3 strings of two 24V (36V) panels. Per Photo, I used the 72V rating; I entered them at just under 72V. Since I'm trying to size the wires from the panels to the CBox I treated 1 string as the Array.
    If I understand corrrectly the Amps remain the same when the panels are in series, so I entered the value listed on the back of the panels - 5.11 Amps.
    I jacked the temp up to 110 F to account for a heat wave. I'm not certain if this is for the wire temp rating or not, though.
    With 12AWG wire, the calced VDrop of the panels to CBox comes out to just over 1%.

Thanks for the explanation on the batteries, Coot. I've been reading some of the battery posts here and I was going in that direction as it was. Fortunately, for what I have in mind I probably won't need that many batteries.

I'm going to have questions on fuses/breakers next. From what I've been reading here, AC breakers on the DC side of the system are not entirely safe. Something about DC's tendancy for strong arcing/sparking/fire issues. I have seen pics of CBoxes using SquareD Home breakers for protection and as disconnects. Are there AC style DC breakers available?

• Hamfast
    Options

I just read this and it appears to answer another question I have. I've been going over the cable layout between the CC, battery bank and the Inverter. I was thinking that a TBlock might be needed, and I just read this on another post here in the Newb section....

"You should have the fuse between the battery and the connection point (e.g. terminal block) for the inverter AND charger, with the fuse as close to the battery as possible."

I need to look into this again, but I think that my CC and Inverter have different fuse requirements between themselves and the battery bank. If this were to be the case, wouldn't the fuse/disconnects go between the TBlock and the respective components?

• Cariboocoot
    Options

There are DC rated circuit breakers. This page shows some of the lower current ones: http://www.solar-electric.com/stfubr1.html
    There's also these which work nice on lighter-duty inverter loads (up to 150A): http://www.solar-electric.com/mr60ampdccib.html
    For heavier inverter loads you may need a big fuse instead: http://www.solar-electric.com/infubr.html

And yes the whole problem is that DC can sustain an arc better than AC. As such it is more difficult to interrupt DC and that has to be taken into account. Using AC breakers/switches with DC current can result in welded contacts, burnt out contacts, fires ...
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    I just read this and it appears to answer another question I have. I've been going over the cable layout between the CC, battery bank and the Inverter. I was thinking that a TBlock might be needed, and I just read this on another post here in the Newb section....

"You should have the fuse between the battery and the connection point (e.g. terminal block) for the inverter AND charger, with the fuse as close to the battery as possible."

I need to look into this again, but I think that my CC and Inverter have different fuse requirements between themselves and the battery bank. If this were to be the case, wouldn't the fuse/disconnects go between the TBlock and the respective components?

CC and inverters definitely have different Amperage ratings. A controller might be rated at 80 Amps output, whereas an inverter can draw a couple of hundred. 1200 Watt inverter on 12 VDC = 100 Amps, roughly. Bigger inverter means more current. Higher system Voltage for the same Watts means less current.

Generally it is treated as controller to battery being one circuit with its appropriately sized wire and circuit protection and then the battery to inverter as another circuit with its appropriately sized wire and circuit protection. Two separate but interacting circuits.

What your looking at with a terminal block is the issue of wires going from the battery to this common point and the possibility of a third circuit appearing, namely a short somewhere between the positive and negative leads from the battery to the terminal blocks. This includes any type of battery wiring that has a common connection point, including parallel strings. Ideally each parallel string of batteries would have its own fuse to guard against possible shorts in one string that can cause the other string(s) to dump huge amounts of current. This would be in addition to the fuse/breaker on the controller wiring and another on the inverter wiring.

Sometimes it takes a bit of hard thinking to figure out what parts of a system count as separate circuits and require protection of their own.
  • Hamfast
    Options

Now trying to figure the Ah reqired in the battery bank....

The lights draw 5.04KWH/day. Need to convert this into reqired Ah. Is this correct?

5.04 x 1000 = 5040WH / 24v = 210Ah/day

Still need to figure power consumption from the CC and inverter. I'm guessing the specs call this Tare Loss. The CC is 2.5W and the Inverter is 4W. Are these figures typically assumed to be Watts/hr?

So far no critique of my attempt at wire sizing using the calculator so I'm thinking all is good there?

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options

Still need to figure power consumption from the CC and inverter. I'm guessing the specs call this Tare Loss. The CC is 2.5W and the Inverter is 4W. Are these figures typically assumed to be Watts/hr?

Those are steady state numbers, not quantities per hour. You could look at them as Watt-hours per hour, I guess. :D
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Basically Watt hours divided by Voltage equals Amp hours.
    However, when converting from AC Watt hours to DC Amp hours you have to include the conversion efficiency of the inverter and then add in any DC loads (including the inverter).

So if you have 5 kW hours AC on a 90% efficient inverter you get 5555 Watt hours. If that inverter draws 20 Watts * 24 hours a day then you add in 480 Watt hours. You're now at 6035 Watt hours. Divide by 24 and you get 251.4 round to > 252 Amp hours.

If you want to keep the DOD to 25% you need to multiply that by 4 and get a battery bank of 1008 Amp hours @ 24 Volts.
    (And with that much stored power you might want to think about going up to 48 Volts). Now you need to find a nearest equivalent available battery, like twelve Crown 2 Volt 1000 Amp hour units: http://www.solar-electric.com/repoba2vo10a.html

Then you figure your 10% peak charge current (100 Amps - already another problem arises) and calculate the array size:
    100 * 24 = 2400 less 77% derating = 3116 Watt array. Again, time to round up to the nearest available units.

But there are fudge factors. Maybe you can get away with a slightly deeper DOD. Like 33% would give you a 756 Amp hour battery. You could pick from some L16's for this and get 790 Amp hours @ 24 Volts using eight Crown 395 units. This could be handled by one FM80 and about a 2500 Watt array for example.

If you use a 48 Volt system that same 6kW hours of power could be stored in 500 Amp hours of battery which would only need a 60 Amp charge controller and easier to get (and often cheaper) batteries.

Just trying to explain the process here; not being specific.
  • BB.
    Options

You can put in the TARE numbers--but frequently, that is not "good enough".

First, 4 watt tare for an inverter is pretty small--that would be something for a ~100 watt inverter. Larger inverters can be in the 20-40 watt range. There is "standby" mode for many inverters, which will reduce power usage.

Also, remember that losses go up with power usage... I typically use 85% efficiency for inverters as a beginning number. You can adjust if you have fixed loads that are in the inverter "sweet spot" (can be in the 90-95% efficiency range). Otherwise, be conservative. Allows for load growth, things getting old, etc.

Regarding charging efficiency--Typically use ~81% for panel efficiency and 95% for charge controller--Combined: 0.81*0.95=0.77 panel+charge controller losses...

So, when you plug all losses together, you get:
    • 0.77 panel+charge controller * 0.80 flooded cell battery eff * 0.85 inverter eff = 0.52 end to end system efficiency.

As a starting point--You could choose to use AGM batteries which are >90% efficient. You could be using most of your power during the day, and not really cycling the batteries, so you "save" most of the 80-90% battery efficiency losses... I tend to make sure I use various efficiency rules of thumbs as need for each calculation so I don't get losses stacked on losses. For example, to calculate the battery AH rating--Assuming 2 days of "no sun" and 50% max discharge (1-3 days is typical days of autonomy we use here):
    • 5,040 WH * 1/24 volts * 1/0.85 inverter losses * 2 days no sun * 1/0.50 max discharge = 988 AH @ 24 volt battery bank

I only used the 85% inverter loss in the above equation--The solar array and battery losses do not count here.

If you had an application where the inverter ran 20 watts * 24 hours - Then you would add an additional 480 Watt*Hours (20W*40Hours) to your power needs from the battery bank (but in theory, you would not do 480 watts * 1/0.85 = 565 WH to your base load because there are no additional inverter losses associated with this load).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options

Yea, we get used to seeing Miles Per Hour and Gallons Per Hour for rates... Watts is really a Rate (Joules per Second)

So, Miles per Hour * Hours driven = Miles Driven.

Watts * Hours used = Watt*Hours used.

Very common to get these confused until you do 10,000+ posts--then I make the mistake less often. :roll::p

-Bill
  • Hamfast
    Options

Time to dial this back a bit..:)

I must avoid mission-creep... :)

I know I'd mentioned the greenhouse lighting and heat, but the 1st and most important objective here is to have minimum required power for basic sustinance in the event of a short or long-term power outage. I've run some numbers again using my fridge, 1 freezer, the small tv and 3 26W CFLs figured for 6 hrs each.

The numbers work this way....

Household Daily KWH...... 3.73
    Daily WHs......................3730
    Inverter Daily WHs.......... 528
    CC Daily WHs.................. 60
    Total Daily Whs...............4318

x 85% Inv Eff..................5080 WHs
    /24v...............................212Ah daily use

The inverter I used was the X. Prosine suggested by Photo near the beginning of this thread. NAWS will do a refund/exchage once I figure out what I want to get for the replacement inverter

I don't need to use my normal Fridge or freezer. I've smaller versions of both in the basement that are not being used.

Need to look into exchanging the batteries. Hope they're feeling kind...:)

How do the numbers look so far? Don't laugh, but it took a couple of hours for me just to figure them out..... :)

• Hamfast
    Options
    If you're using 125 Amp hour 12 Volt batteries you need two in series to get 125 Amp hours @ 24 Volts.

I just want to be clear on my understanding...... When batteries are hooked up in series their volts go up but the Ah remain the same? So 12 2V/1000Ah batteries in series only has 1000Ah capacity?

• Cariboocoot
    Options
    I just want to be clear on my understanding...... When batteries are hooked up in series their volts go up but the Ah remain the same? So 12 2V/1000Ah batteries in series only has 1000Ah capacity?

Yes, but it has 1000 Amp hours @ 24 Volts. Total power is measured in Watt hours, so that's 24 kW hours (only about half of which is usable, and that is on the DC side; expect less for AC due to conversion losses and inverter consumption).

Your numbers look terrible. I run the cabin, including full-size refrigerator, on half that.

Time to re-examine the priorities. When living in the middle of nowhere like I do this becomes very important. So I would say the refrigerator is actually crucial: you don't want a lot of expensive food going bad. All heating should be done by non-electric means. Lights should be CFL or LED or even candles in an outage. Keeping the water pump going is also vital, as is communications.

Your big screen TV is not a necessity! :p
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So 12 2V/1000Ah batteries in series only has 1000Ah capacity?

Only?!?!?!? 1000 Ah at 24 volts is pretty big!
    Hamfast wrote:
    Need to look into exchanging the batteries. Hope they're feeling kind
    If you can't return them maybe you should consider a 48 volt system. Sounds like your needs are great enough that a 48 volt system makes sense.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Hamfast
    Options

Actually, the big TV isn't included. I ran the little one.

Base daily numbers...

Fridge..... 1.69 KWH
    Freezer.... 1.20 KWH
    Small TV... 0.48 KWH (8hrs) ( or perhaps a shortwave radio? )
    lights......... 0.36KWH

The math must be kicking my ass......

• Hamfast
    Options

Mr Coot, I do have non-electric sources of heat and water available..:)
    It's a wonder they let me build hospitals..:)

• BB.
    Options

That is about right--and at ~100 kWH / Month or 3.3 kWH per day--That is a good aim point for a totally off grid home with enough electricity for a (mostly) normal life. (I would call this a point to aim at--Not everyone will achieve this. I got to ~170 kWH per month in summer when I tried really hard--but then we had two kids, added a freezer in the shed, everyone has there own computer, etc... Now--I don't even look but probably close to 300 kWH per month--using natural gas for all heating/cooking/hot water needs for an on-grid home).

The refrigerator you may be able to find something a bit more efficient (or, for an emergency, converting a chest freezer to fridge can get you done in the 0.25 to 0.5 kWH per day range).

Chest freezer
    as a chest refrigerator

Chest Freezer Conversion
    3.5 cu. ft. chest freezer with thermostat as a refrigerator

Note that Freezer and Fridge power usage goes up as temperatures go up... So if your measurements were in a cold/winter home/garage environment, in summer it may go up quite a bit.

-Bill