Chinese Charge Controllers

lazza
lazza Solar Expert Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
HI

I have to confess a sin. I've bought some chinese charge controllers because they were very cheap :blush:

Now they work, and do the job. However, having studied their charging profile. Although it says that absorption is at 28.5V and float at 27V... really absorption is at 26.5V for half an hour and then drops down to 25.5V. They carry on supplying power and charging, but... the batteries at the end of the day are only at 24.8V (80% charged i suppose)..... whereas experimenting with a Xantrex C40 leaves them fully charged at 25.2V.

My question is: Is there any way of fooling these charge controllers into giving 2V more? so that the batteries are charged at more adequate voltages?

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Chinese Charge Controllers
    lazza wrote: »
    My question is: Is there any way of fooling these charge controllers into giving 2V more? so that the batteries are charged at more adequate voltages?

Maybe. Do they have temp compensation? Do they have settings for different types of battery? Do they have any adjustments at all? Can you open the units and see if there are any dip switches or potentiometers?

Any of the above may sometimes be used to fool a charger.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • lazza

Mmm doesnt seem to have any of what you've mentioned- here's a picture of the circuit board: Attachment not found.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Learn the lesson, throw it out, get a good one.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

what does the exterior look like.? Brand?

I think I might have one of those with the 10 or so 'after dark' light activation settings. Mine seems to do a better charge job. Will try to get #'s this weekend, and report. On an RV 12 v batt.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • lazza

Here it is- yes it's with those 10 or 20 light activation settings for the 12V/24V direct loads: Attachment not found.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Lazza, my meter at the batt posts was 13.75v in float so for your bb i should be getting ~ 27.5v Float. no load on it so unable to check Absorb voltage.

They're cheap enough to buy a second one...no?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA.......
    Or the Philippines, Tawain.......

You will only find roughly under 10% of solar products made in america, canada, or germany...

Such as Concorde Batteries, Rolls, or SMA.........

Dont feel bad.

Even if it is assembled in the US or canada, the parts are probably more than likely Chinese. Like canadian Solar panels, they are literally a yingli panel that is rebadged for canadian solar, they are the same cells!

Just research better, for $30 more than the cheapest controller there is a better one out there......
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.