Morningstar MPPT-45, LED meaning

Options
Here are the facts:

- CC voltage reading: 12.5v
- 250 W panel fully exposed to the sun.
- LED on CC: Yellow and Red lit together, NOT flashing.
- only 3 amps coming through.

This seems odd. As per the manual, Yellow + Red means battery is close to being fully drained but the 12.5 voltage reading contradicts that. Also, if battery were close to empty i would expect to see a lot more amperage being delivered.

Any ideas of why this may be happening?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Morningstar MPPT-45, LED meaning

What is the PV Input Voltage (and current)? Voltage at the Vbatt output, and Vbatt / bus bar voltage... All measured with the same meter (and hopefully good battery).

12.5 volts with 3 amps--Hard to tell if this is a nearly discharged battery or not... But it does not sound like it is too discharged (but charger may see full if battery is at ~14.5 volts for 2+ hours or so)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    fernandonh wrote: »
    Here are the facts:

- CC voltage reading: 12.5v
    - 250 W panel fully exposed to the sun.
    - LED on CC: Yellow and Red lit together, NOT flashing.
    - only 3 amps coming through.

This seems odd. As per the manual, Yellow + Red means battery is close to being fully drained but the 12.5 voltage reading contradicts that. Also, if battery were close to empty i would expect to see a lot more amperage being delivered.

Any ideas of why this may be happening?

Battery not charged.

250 Watt panel is inevitably around 30 Vmp @ 8 Amps. With the MPPT function you should get about 16 Amps. You're only getting 3 out of the controller. Where are the other Amps going?
    Check first that the panel is actually able to put out Isc under the insolation conditions.
    Check second that it isn't a bad connection somewhere.
    Check third that the battery isn't toast.
  • fernandonh
    fernandonh Solar Expert Posts: 35
    Options

Thank you for the info, I will research on how to get the information you mentioned.

The battery is a trojan 12v 150 amh. It's only 3 months old, although, I accidentally discharged once to the point where the charge controller would not even acknowledge the battery, CC had no display. I recharged the battery over two days using a battery charger until it said 100% full. I then connected it back to the solar system and this is the type of reading I am getting. Could that one deep discharge have permanently damaged the battery? damn it!
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fernandonh wrote: »
    .... Could that one deep discharge have permanently damaged the battery? damn it!

You hit the nail on the head. Charge controllers generally work down to 9 or 8 V. That is deep into battery killing territory.

Did you cycle power to reset the controller, disconnect everything, then power up from the battery, let it boot for 2 minutes, then connect the solar ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately : "Most batteries don't die - they are murdered..." :cry:
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

After charging from Battery charger, did you equalize the battery? assuming that it's a flooded lead acid. This might give you a bit of your capacity back. This would be a controlled equalizing checking to see if the Specific Gravity (SG) continues to rise and stopping once it quits rising. You can get a glass hydrometer at O'Rileys auto parts for under $10, that I've found is reasonably accurate.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Desert Rat
    Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately : "Most batteries don't die - they are murdered..." :cry:

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. The saying is:

Most batteries don't die of natural causes; they are murdered.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Desert Rat wrote: »
    Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. The saying is:

Most batteries don't die of natural causes; they are murdered.

Have a nice day :D
    http://www.solarsolutionssa.co.za/?battery-faq,93
  • fernandonh
    fernandonh Solar Expert Posts: 35
    Options

Things seem to have returned to normal. It's currently on a floating state at 13.4 v. I am hoping it was just a small glitch. Tks for your help.