Options
2»

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Inverter system in aqua phonics greenhouse in haiti
    castilloj wrote: »
    hey guys, just wanted to update . it seems the reason the breakers kept tripping was because a ground wire was touching a bus bar. I also just noticed that one of my batteries is very hot.
    could i just replace the battery and put a new one?
    im also noticing that power is not lasting like it used to.

48 2v sun xtender agm PVC-9150t batteries connected 24/24.
    I'd suggest you contact whoever you bought them from and the tech support from the Manufacturer and seek a replacement if it's bad if they are the same age when you made the first post about them ( Feb, 2013 ). You could remove that one and change the charge perimeters and get by for a while.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would discover why it is getting hot, or you may BBQ the new one too.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• castilloj
    castilloj Solar Expert Posts: 208
    Options

Hi guys , my system is not able to run without the generator being on.
    How do I measure each battery? Do I just check. Outage on each ?
    It's a AGM.
  • castilloj
    Options

Another question . Could I take 3 2 v batteries out of system and use one 6 v agm in its place?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Measure the Voltage on each battery. Pay attention to the polarity as a digital meter can read negative Voltage and you might not notice the little "-" showing up.

Substituting a 6V for three 2V would work temporarily, but there inevitably will be a difference in capacity so you wouldn't want to try and keep it going that way.

As Mike said, discover why it's getting hot. Being in backwards would be one possibility.
  • castilloj
    Options

So i put a 6 v battery to replace the bad one plus 2 others. battery charge went up but today the system shut down midday with full sun.

should i just use half the bank? and shut off half the panels ?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

What do you mean the "system shut down mid-day with full sun"?

More or less, if your Battery Bank charging current is 13% or less than the bank's 20 Hour Capacity (i.e., a 400 AH * 0.13 = ~52 amps maximum), you should be fine (note, check the battery specifications, certain batteries such as many GEL batteries will have less than C/8 (12.5%) maximum rate of charge.

If your available charging current is >~13% rate of charge (to 20-25%), then if you have a remote battery temperature monitor, you should be fine (as batteries get hot, the charge controller will drop the charging set point to keep batteries from overheating/drawing too much charging current as the batteries heat).

If you wish to cut back on the charging current, on many higher end charge controllers can be programmed to limit the maximum output current.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Just so we don't have to read back through the whole thread and figure it out, what is the total battery capacity and configuration? And how much panel is connected to it? It sounds as though there is still something wrong.
  • castilloj
    Options

we have 48 batteries and 18 solar panels. connected to 2 outback 48v,
    Attachment not found.
  • castilloj
    Options

Attachment not found.
    this is the inverters.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    castilloj wrote: »
    we have 48 batteries and 18 solar panels. connected to 2 outback 48v,

Well, that makes a case for a forklift battery, if you have a forklift to change it out with. Lots of jumpers there.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,