Lowes clearance 12V solar powered Motion Security lights for $40 sku# 115191 work whs OK

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
http://www.lowes.com/pd_115191-85538-SH-7103-WH_0__?Ntt=115191&UserSearch=115191&productId=3328458&rpp=32#BVRRWidgetID

my local store has these on clearance, your luck may vary. call ahead of time to avoid wasting gas and your time. and have someone check the shelves as inventory is not always accurate.

they run off a 6amphr sla battery

most other cheaper solar security lights use 6v nimh battery packs with maybe 1amphr, so this one has a lot more power.

For $40 it's a decent/good deal.

if the solar panel or motion sensor dies you can always hook them up to a standard 12V low voltage lighting system.

If you read the reviews on the web site you see that many of them died because of water failure. The motion sensor when packaged is turned upside down. I think most people fail to rotate it to the proper orientation and then it fails for that reason. A $3 aluminum pie tin placed on top would also work.

I mounted mine to a 1x1" aluminum pole and stuck it in the ground about 6' up. I have 4 of them placed along my side walk. They look a little funny, but hopefully they work fine. they are not super bright, but a ton brigher than the cheap solar lawn lights they run off a singel 1.5v AA rechargeable battery.

Comments

• bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Re: Lowes clearance 12V solar powered Motion Security lights for $40 sku# 115191 work wh

Thanks for the link. I once purchased something similar from Sams, but returned it because two sensors(in a row) operated backwards from standard (turns light on in sun, off at night).
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Lowes clearance 12V solar powered Motion Security lights for $40 sku# 115191 work wh

"A $3 aluminum pie tin placed on top would also work."

it's a shame we have to put tinfoil hats on our equipment too.:roll::p
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I wonder if the battery is user-replaceable?

Without knowing how long a very cheap sla has been sulfating in the supply chain, I never gauge operation based on the oem supplied one, and tend to replace them immediately with a known good PowerSonic etc...
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    PNjunction wrote: »
    I wonder if the battery is user-replaceable?

Without knowing how long a very cheap sla has been sulfating in the supply chain, I never gauge operation based on the oem supplied one, and tend to replace them immediately with a known good PowerSonic etc...

Years ago we purchased a solar-powered security light manufactured by Braun. It lasted about 6 years. When it gave up, we saw that weather had intruded the casing; the switches were all corroded in place. If I were to purchase another, I would add a bead of silcone around everything.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    ..... we saw that weather had intruded the casing; the switches were all corroded in place. If I were to purchase another, I would add a bead of silcone around everything.

I'd put a bead on the tops and sides of everything, but leave the bottom open as a way to drain/vent.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,