Wester Harmonics DC Evaporative Cooler

Feenix
Feenix Registered Users Posts: 16
Hi All!

Have an off-grid house here in Southern AZ. Gets a little warm around here this time of year! I've been hunting for a very efficient evap cooler, only to learn that teh ones they sell at Lowe's range from 5-10 amps for a medium sized cooler!

There is a guy who does make coolers and sells them through his website and on Back Woods Solar, but they are very expensive. I'm sure they are very nice, but I just can't afford a 14" evap for over $1,300!

I found Western Harmonics today, by chance. This is a startup here in Tucson. These guys are just beginning their product line, but they are already selling their mini cooler. It is full DC and it even comes with its own 30 watt panel. The package is $249 on his website (pay pal). I think for more he bundles the cooler, two panels, two gel batteries and a charge controller.

I am VERY pleased with this little unit! I can leave it on all day and not worry that it will drain my battery bank and I can put it anywhere since I dont have to plug it in.

I did go to their booth at the swap meet this week, just so I could see the product before I bought one. He seemed very dedicated to making solar affordable and making a quality cooler. This is a small guy for a single room, but he said they are planning on making a bigger version coming out in July/August (just in time for monsoon, ugh). This one will also be DC and bundled with a panel and will have a 3500CFM fan in it! Sweet!

Here is their website: http://www.westernharmonics.com/
And their FB page (with current updates): https://www.facebook.com/WesternHarmonics

If you live around Tucson, they are sometimes at the Tanque Verde swapmeet.

Not sure if the pic will come out, but this is the unit I bought. They have all kinds of different colors, too. I think I'm going to get one for all of the bedrooms and for my greenhouse. Maybe my barn too.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Feenix
    Re: Wester Harmonics DC Evaporative Cooler

Attachment not found.

Another photo of it pre-installation
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, and it works ? Panel & batteries are half the total price. What is the water pad made of ? Do you have to use distilled water ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

You can also buy a 3PO unit so they could speak binary language of moisture evaporators.

This small amount of energy may not be able to create enough air flow to cool anything but very small room. Please, let us know how it works when you install it.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Feenix wrote: »
    I think for more he bundles the cooler, two panels, two gel batteries and a charge controller.

His expertise on the evaporative cooler side may be good, but if he uses GEL batteries he does not know much about PV. I would be wary of the bundle, especially since you already have PV. :-)
    There are a couple of GEL battery types that may actually be suitable for PV, but the vast majority are not. FLA or AGM please.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Feenix wrote: »
    Hi All!
    If you live around Tucson, they are sometimes at the Tanque Verde swapmeet.
    Attachment not found.

Does the cooler use traditional Aspen screens, or have they come up with a more eco-friendly susbstitute? When I lived in Tucson, the Tanque Verde swapmeet was still located on Tanque Verde. Then someone told me it was moved to Palo Verde, But advertised under the original name. Another told me it was moved indoors. Which of these rumours is true? Thanks.
  • Feenix

Hi!

Sorry for the delay getting back to this thread. I meant they are AGM batteries, like the kind that care used in USGS stream gages.

The swap meet is still outdoors, but it did move to Ajo and Palo Verde.

This cooler uses a rigid media instead of aspen. It looks like some sort of treated cardboard, but I'm not sure. Is the same stuff that some other coolers are using now. Apparently they work a little better than aspen.