generator life

Options
gino45
gino45 Registered Users Posts: 12
New guy here, returning.

I have the opportunity to buy a Yamaha EF3000ISEB that's still under warranty with an estimated 200 hours use. I would use it as an offgrid backup.

It seems to be a good model from my research and it's about half of retail price.

What I'm asking is: what is the lifetime expectation (number of hours) for this generator? Does anyone here have knowledge of this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: generator life
    gino45 wrote: »
    New guy here, returning.

I have the opportunity to buy a Yamaha EF3000ISEB that's still under warranty with an estimated 200 hours use. I would use it as an offgrid backup.

It seems to be a good model from my research and it's about half of retail price.

What I'm asking is: what is the lifetime expectation (number of hours) for this generator? Does anyone here have knowledge of this?

Thanks in advance!
    Anything used is always a chance, on the other hand I had a new Honda EU 2000 engine fail out of the box. They put a new motor in it, never missed a beat after that . 200 hrs is just a few oil changes, The Yamaha and the Honda 's seem to be on par with each other and some are reported to have as many as 5,000 hrs.

I'd go for it.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

I would plan on 2,000 hours with good maintenance (regular oil changes)... Marc (Cariboocoot) has a small eu1000i that is around 6,000 hours and beginning to use oil (as I recall).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Options

Known brand, I would agree, an unknown brand or a home depot hurricane special may have a lot lower life.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Test before buying. Take a tool or 3 and plug them all in to make sure it will handle them, like a 10A Makita compressor, 10A skill saw and a 1500 watt space heater. If it them all without failing, it should be ok. I got mine used and have a few hundred more hours on it so far, part of that was one week of tools for the work crew as listed for testing

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Concur with Bill, I have had several EU1000 and EU2000s' and got about 2,000 hours out of them with frequent oil changes.

Never had much long term success rebuilding one.

These small Honda genset inverters are bullet proof. I keep one on my Ranger for ranch work and before I put the big system in to power the new house, I ran the old house with two of them for years.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have an EF3000is. Good so far, but only have about 500 hours on it.

I am pleased with it. Very quite. I think the EB boost feature is a joke and would not pay a dime extra for it. It sucks max of 500 watt boost from the small starter battery. Not much help for even a refrig startup surge.
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the big boy Yamaha model (the 6300isde) with a little less than 300 hrs.
    So far it has performed well. I service it (oil change, spark arrestor & filter clean) every 75 hrs.

It's an expensive beast (I probably would be fine with the 3000 version you are considering). I can convert it to autostart charge my bank if need be. However, it is not evident to me, yet, if the latter feature is worth the effort.

If you say it's a good price, it's been serviced regularily, only used periodically over 1-2 years (200hrs), and a mechanic confirms that it is sound, I'd say go for it 8)
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options
    gino45 wrote: »

The generator itself will last for a long time. The engine is what will wear out. The Yamaha MZ175 engine is a consumer class engine in the same category as the Honda GC-series. They are not meant for long continuous duty operation like the Honda GX is. So the engine life is going to depend on usage. If you run it at or near full load all the time expect in the range of 500-1,000 hours from it. If you operate it at light loads expect around 2,000 hours.

If you plan on using it for your primary off-grid generator so it's going to run at full load on battery charging duty I would suggest a more robust unit. If you plan on using it as a backup for your primary generator I would say it's probably a pretty good deal.
    --
    Chris