how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?

NilaNila Solar Expert Posts: 173 ✭✭
HI All

Should we buy it together for easier installation or is it okay to use the connect the inverter to batteries and AC panel without using them?
I find it bit expensive.

I have a company who does all the A/C circuit boxes ,etc locally here who may be able to assist with making a new box
What is your thoughts ? they quote much much lesser than the 1200$ range quoted by xantrex?


We may use a second xantrex too so might need to be aware of scalability in mind.

Xantrex has something called a connection kit for second Hybrid inverter and it costs another 620$.. for what it seems like a bus bar/3 Ac breakers and wirings


We do not have any strict codes like NEC to follow here .
Would making these stuff with help of a local approved /licensed electrical manufacturer do the job? if they quote much lesser than xantrex's parts?

Comments

  • NorthGuyNorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?

    I couldn't wrap my mind around buying a metal box for $1500. I have a small electric panel ($40) and MTS ($200) on AC side and MNDC ($200) on DC side.
  • NilaNila Solar Expert Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?

    Exactly lol.. My local electrical company is my school friend and he will be happy to do the same for even less :)

    Can I get some of your Pics of the MTS/Panel/MNDC ( trust me i dont know what they mean lol ) ..

    I can use that to get some idea of what Im going to make with the local company.

    NorthGuy wrote: »
    I couldn't wrap my mind around buying a metal box for $1500. I have a small electric panel ($40) and MTS ($200) on AC side and MNDC ($200) on DC side.
  • NorthGuyNorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?
    paimpozhil wrote: »
    Can I get some of your Pics of the MTS/Panel/MNDC ( trust me i dont know what they mean lol ) ..

    I can use that to get some idea of what Im going to make with the local company.

    Click on the links to get to them:

    Panel

    MTS (Manual transfer switch)

    MNDC
  • NilaNila Solar Expert Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?

    Huge thanks!.

    This is really helpful.. now do you think we will void xantrex warrenty if we use one of this together with their inverter?
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    Click on the links to get to them:

    Panel

    MTS (Manual transfer switch)

    MNDC
  • NorthGuyNorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?
    paimpozhil wrote: »
    ... now do you think we will void xantrex warrenty if we use one of this together with their inverter?

    Definetely not. IMHO that is.
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 29,708 admin
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?

    If you are talking about the "stuff" that is used to glue all the basic parts together--There is an advantage for the first timer/remote (far from stores) person to get a pre-wired panel with all of th appropriate parts.

    As you have seen, getting the correct wire, circuit breakers, fuses, mounting rails, current shunts, transfer switches, etc. can be a big deal where one missing part takes two weeks to get (or someone may not even know what are the "right parts").

    For somebody with the time/knowledge, building out your own enclosure and ordering/assembling all of the parts is not as big of deal.

    Midnite does a very nice job of documenting their E-Panels (click on the manual page on their website). If there is nothing inside that scares somebody off--Sure, build out your own.

    For somebody in another country, and probably going to build out more than one system--Yea, they are probably going to source locally for most of the components.

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?

    I have the xw6048, and the midnight ePanel for it. It does an awesome, prewired job of having all the interconnect wires, and the BIG battery breaker, and some buss bar that mounts right up to the xw's DC connection. Or you can mess with hydraulic crimpers, heat shrink and forming wires the size of your thumb. And if you plan to expand to 2, xw6048's use the midnight solution, or plan to fabricate parts for a week. (and many trips to the hardware store for "just one more part")
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

    solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?
    Nila wrote: »
    HI All

    Should we buy it together for easier installation or is it okay to use the connect the inverter to batteries and AC panel without using them?
    I find it bit expensive.

    I have a company who does all the A/C circuit boxes ,etc locally here who may be able to assist with making a new box
    What is your thoughts ? they quote much much lesser than the 1200$ range quoted by xantrex?


    We may use a second xantrex too so might need to be aware of scalability in mind.

    Xantrex has something called a connection kit for second Hybrid inverter and it costs another 620$.. for what it seems like a bus bar/3 Ac breakers and wirings


    We do not have any strict codes like NEC to follow here .
    Would making these stuff with help of a local approved /licensed electrical manufacturer do the job? if they quote much lesser than xantrex's parts?

    Shop around! The XW power panel is nice if you use the XW charge controllers as they bolt right on to the power panel. This is really true with the high voltage controller. It looks better, but maybe that is not as important as saving cash. If this is for offgrid then you need to understand exactly what you are doing if you had someone fabricate or buy the XW or midnite panel.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]

  • ChrisOlsonChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?
    Nila wrote: »
    HI All
    Should we buy it together for easier installation or is it okay to use the connect the inverter to batteries and AC panel without using them?
    I find it bit expensive.

    IMHO, for a fresh installation the XW Power Distribution Panel is probably well worth the money. It makes the installation code compliant - it's got your DC Disconnect, AC Main and Disconnect/Bypass, and it's all pre-wired.

    That being said, when we put in our XW I did not buy it. We had the ACCB for our SW Plus and when I removed that I bought a 100A SquareD QO Load Center box and put the AC Bypass/Main in it. We only bought the XW conduit box (that comes with the Power Distribution Panel) for ours because we had existing panels for the rest that were already wired in.

    Attachment not found.

    So I'm going to say it depends on if you're starting fresh or putting the XW into an existing system. If I was starting fresh I'd definitely buy it. By the time you buy panels and breakers and wire and all the stuff you need, plus the work of putting it all together, I doubt you'll save much money not buying it.

    There are also nice alternatives such as the MidNite ePanel for the XW. However, if you intend at some point to add a second inverter to the system nothing is going to integrate quite like the Real Deal.
    --
    Chris
  • t00lst00ls Solar Expert Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    Re: how important is the power distribution panel on the xantrex 6048 ?

    you could do what I did when I saw the price of the panels

    attachment.php?attachmentid=2306&d=1251693226

    I just built a box around and all my wires are tied up neatly behind......was approved by inspector
Sign In or Register to comment.