MC4 cable

fernandonh
fernandonh Solar Expert Posts: 35
My REC250 panels has a 12 AWG wire with MC4 connectors. I will be using one single panel and connecting it to my MPPT CC.

All MC4 extension cables on this site are 10 AWG, so my question is, should I look for a 12 AWG in a different site or can I use the 10 gauge offered here?

Tks :-)

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: MC4 cable

The connector is the same, 10 gauge is just a little thicker wire. 10 gauge will work fine and suggested if your run is long.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • fernandonh
    fernandonh Solar Expert Posts: 35

Distance from panel to CC is about 7 feet.

So there isn't a problem with the fact that the wire size coming out of the solar panel is 12 gauge and the extention wire to CC is 10?
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    fernandonh wrote: »
    Distance from panel to CC is about 7 feet.

So there isn't a problem with the fact that the wire size coming out of the solar panel is 12 gauge and the extention wire to CC is 10?
    Not at all.

fifteen characters