Panel Hanging

Joe J
Joe J Solar Expert Posts: 49 ✭✭
Is it advisable to hang a panel upside down? Meaning the connector box to the panels facing down? The wire connections look like they screw in? It would make wiring a lot easier but am cautious about water some how getting in. I know you can put them in the landscape mode so I'm thinking I'm worried about nothing.:confused:

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Panel Hanging

Depends n the design of the panel whether an "upside down" junction box would admit water - - - and if it has knockouts, which ones have been knocked out.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

if it's a standard j box the position the pv sits in will have little to do with water infiltration as if it can get in while at the top then it can also get in while at the bottom too. if there are openings you feel aren't very conducive to keeping the connections dry inside then you can dab some silicon sealant on the outside openings of the j box, but leave the bottom part of the j box alone as any condensation that may accumulate inside the box, or if the box develops a leak, then has a way to escape.

you also would be better off having the wires exit from the bottom of the j box.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Check the installation manual for the panels. In theory if there is required orientation it would be documented and noted and possibly this would be indicated on the panel.

On my pole mount I have two rows on panels one on top of each other. The top row has the junction boxes near the bottom "upside down". As the panels are at an angle, the junction boxes are protected from any rain coming down out of the sky by the panels. Abotut he only way water gets there is if someone took a hose to the back of the panels. By having the lower row with the junction box "right side up" and the top row "upside down", I reduce the length of the interconnecting wires and get the connections up off the ground. This orientation also allows me to install hardware cloth between the upper and lower horizontal mounting rails to prevent access to the interconecting wires. In general it looks a lot neater.
  • Joe J
    Joe J Solar Expert Posts: 49 ✭✭

Thanks everyone. I have 4 panels on the roof. Yes, upside down;) Wating on other 2. So far so good!
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it has knock outs, you could use water tight strain reliefs. Don't worry too muc about it, my 30 year old panels have 2 - 1/4" threaded stainless steel studs coming out of the bottom. (no iron, prism glass for max transmision and stainless studs , a very poor conductor of electric... they were just figuring things out!)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.