Steer clear of Sun Electric

bnlfan
bnlfan Registered Users Posts: 8
Hello all,

I am new to the site and just purchased my first piece of equipment for going off grid.

I thought I might give you a little feed back on a company that is selling very low cost panels.

This company is Sunelec.com. I recommend you do not purchase from them. Now, if you are very familiar with solar panels and don't need any customer service you may do okay.

Last week I called to place an order for 230 watt panels that were running at 99 cents a watt. During my call to place my order I was told that the panels I wanted were in stock and I could place a deposit on them. I paid my deposit and ordered 7 panels. I was also told that the panels were 12 volt.

Now, the issue with the panel voltage was really my mistake. I read over the specs and found out they were 24 volts.

Anyway, I sent an email to 3 people and called the Miami office twice. I was finding it impossible to get my paperwork so I would have it as proof when I drive down to pick them up and pay the remainder. Finally I called the owner of the company and he took care of it.

Then this past Monday I get a call from the salesman telling me they sold a large order to another customer and gave them my panels because I didn't pay for them in full. Then he told me I could purchase the 220 Watt panels for the 99 cent per watt but I would have to pay for them now, in full. If I did not, he would have to refund my money back. I can't remember how much, but I asked about having the 7 panels shipped freight and was given a very large rate.

Now, I have my money back and I contacted Northern Arizona Solar and talked with Robert. He not only answered all my questions and pointed me in the right direction, 20 mins. later I made my first purchase.

I paid a little more per panel but the trade off for good customer service, informative sales staff, and helpful honest attitude is worth it. Plus, oddly enough, I will be paying $300.00 less for freight for the same number of panels from Arizona verses Miami.

So, steer clear of sunelec.com. If you would like to know the names and phone numbers of the people the "helped" me, send me a message. I will be happy to treat them with the same respect they treated me.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Steer clear of Sun Electric

Welcome to the forum.

There was a bit of a delay in posting this thread due to problems that have arisen in the past when discussing this particular company on the forum. Therefor I will remind people in advance to keep strictly to facts regarding their dealings and leave out the hyperbole, rancor, and/or personal remarks.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

I used to think Sunelec had the best prices, but i can get panels from Jetion in Charlotte, NC for about the same price and Ontility has prices around a $1/watt too.

That being said, I suggest you post What you are going to buy BEFORE you buy it on this forum so people can help you for free.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i have to clarify that the purpose of this forum is not to direct people where to buy stuff cheapest as we are hosted by a solar store. this forum is for solar (actually renewables in general) discussions to help enlighten on the subject matters and discuss some of the ins and outs we encounter with it.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you post What you are going to buy BEFORE you buy it on this forum so people can help you for free.

Likely the best advice you will find on this forum! (hope that doesn't end up sounding oximoronic)

I think the original poster is about perfect, I always recomend dealing with the more knowlegable people at Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, at least the first time out. Other 'cheap' sources of panels don't understand what a '24 volt' nominal panel is and regularly post wrong information. SunElec just posts the facts and in that way are better if you know what your buying, but it has been noted in many places that they have very poor customer service.

That said I have done 2 purchases from them and they both arrived, I even had a panel broken in transit, which is actually the buyers responsablity, buying FOB Miami, and they replaced the panel with out charge, including shipping it!!!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • fix_it_guy
    fix_it_guy Solar Expert Posts: 26

I don't know about you guys but, I appreciate a sales site that lists it's current prices and doesn't insist you "call for pricing". I understand that prices, especialy solar equiptment prices change rapidly, but being too lazy to update your website doesn't look good. I should clarify that I do understand the call for price on things like entire systems, but when you have it for everything you sell it is anoying. BTW I really like the NAWS site:D
  • dhsola
    dhsola Solar Expert Posts: 38

Northern Arizona Wind & Sun (NAWS): A+++

http://www.solar-electric.com/
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

I have purchased a couple of items from Sunelec in the past. My Prosine inverter, and a couple of solar panels. I got what I paid for at a decent price.

The issues I have with them now:

They don't respond to emails. Several attemps in two weeks, NADA.

Very poor follow up on an order. I paid for a product. No confirmation email. No letting me know it had been shipped, or a tracking number.

They've jacked up their shipping costs in the past two years. I'm 200 miles from their Miami warehouse. They charged about double what it would cost to ship from anywhere else. I told them their shipping calculator must be faulty. Shipping from FL to FL is the same price as shipping from FL to Alaska!!! Uh, no response.

Eventually the owner sent out a bulk email appologizing to customers about their poor email response. Last I heard from friends wanting to buy from them, nothing had changed.

Business must be REAL good for them. Not a problem. Others sell for reasonable prices, and when I factor what I saved in shipping from half the country away, rather than fairly local, it was cheaper to buy elsewhere. Shame, I liked their prices.

I now buy from several places, including the parent company of this forum, who are EXCELLENT to deal with.
  • Ian S
    Ian S Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    leave out the hyperbole, rancor, and/or personal remarks.
    Yeah, there's another solar forum where you can get all you want of that. LOL!
  • fix_it_guy
    fix_it_guy Solar Expert Posts: 26

Hi Ian, daveb here, much nicer atmosphere here. Good to see you.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

There are lots of folks here that visit both forums for their "solar/conservation needs". We wish everyone well.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ian S
    Ian S Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    fix_it_guy wrote: »
    Hi Ian, daveb here, much nicer atmosphere here. Good to see you.
    Likewise! I feel this forum is welcoming while providing good info.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

FWIW my experience with Sun is similar to some others. I couldn't pass up their big 78cents/watt sale last fall. I purchased 20 of the Evergreen 225s for my future expansion plans. There were delays, and slow or unreturned responses to emails but in the end they arrived just fine for a total of 90c/watt delivered. Despite it all I was satisfied with the outcome. My cheap - bargain loving side won out! 8) I've made one other non- PV purchase from them that was painless.

My take is that the owner is an honest, though eccentric guy who really wants to do right by his customers but in his drive to sell lots of PV at the lowest possible prices he cuts corners in the area of customer service - and it shows.

Dealing with a more customer service oriented company like NAWS is definitely the way to go for most people, most of the time. NAWS has been awesome whenever I've dealt with them and given their high level of customer service their prices are very good. Hosting this great forum is just one example of their excellence. Thank you NAWS!
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Ian S wrote: »
    Yeah, there's another solar forum where you can get all you want of that. LOL!

Can someone PM the name of this other forum? I'm guessing it rhymes with solar pannel walk?