78 cents per watt is it too good to be true

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 78 cents per watt is it too good to be true

Photowhit, your post is absolutely fine by me.

If anyone can see into the future they'd probably go for the lottery numbers. That way the panel prices wouldn't matter. ;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

Not a problem.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • WillWinston
    WillWinston Solar Expert Posts: 45

I received my 28 evergreens last Thursday

I got 195's that are blemished (just about all they had left when I ordered)

I am very happy with these panels -- the blemishes for the most part are small scratches on the frame

and they all have the ETL approval

it was a fair amount of work to unload the 1300 pounds off the pallet but I'll just chalk that up to good exercize
  • WisJim
    WisJim Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

My pallet of grade A, 205 watt panels arrived Thursday, too. That was a day earlier than anticipated. We got the pallet from the truck lift gate onto my trailer fine, and then up the hill to the pole shed for the winter. My cost (delivered) worked out to 87cents a watt. A few other friends who also each ordered a pallet haven't gotten theirs yet, but I think that they all have tentative delivery dates. I was impressed with the whole ordering procedure and how well Sun Electronics did it all, considering how busy they were for awhile taking orders.
  • WillWinston

safe and sound in the garage

Attachment not found.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Best not to let those Surrette's sit around too long without a charge!

Good price for panels. I got my 12kw for $4 per watt, and that was good at the time (May 2010).

Ralph
  • WillWinston

I ordered the Surrettes dry but they arrived wet and 85 % charged

I have them sitting on a constant float charge

I am thinking of cashing in an IRA to spring for some HuP Ones 1300 AH or so -- I figure it is a better return than the 0.01% the IRA is currently paying
  • Shane Jackson
    Shane Jackson Solar Expert Posts: 49

Mine came in today and all is well. My only complaint would be they were suppose to be "A's" and they were "B's".... but considering the circumstances of my order I am happy to have gotten in on the deal. I must say THANK YOU to John K. for personally taking care of my order after the screw up (I'm probably more to blame than Sun as I should have sent the check in via Priority mail so I could track it.... the post office SUCKS....)
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

I got mine as well, and tested each one. The temperature was in the mid 60s, so the Imp was 1.3A over nameplate. In checking the Current, the initial spike of electricity at contact created a 'sucking' sound in my $4 HFT meters, and they were no longer able to measure Voltage. Oddly, they still measured Amps okay. Anything Voltage showed an Open.
  • BB.

More than likely, you were measuring Isc (short circuit current) which is a bit larger than Imp.

Also, interestingly, Imp/Isc increase slightly with temperature--So cool panels produce smaller current. The the temperature effect for current is ~1/10th smaller than the Vmp/Voc which rise with falling temperature.

Roughly (from generic Evergreen spec):
    Isc +0.05 %/ ºC
    Vmp -0.40 %/ ºC

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Thanks for the correction, B.B. Before the meters were overwhelmed, the Voc of the first few panels started at spec, and quickly driifted downward, around a volt per 2 minutes. At the same time, the short-circuit Current measurement stayed the same. It was a clear, sunny, cool day. If the Current was stable, but voltage drifted, would that indicate that something in a $4 meter was responsible?
  • BB.

Probably... It could also be a bad battery in the meter too.

-Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

as reported earlier, my CC was charged in Nov, for the pallet of panels (supposed to be A's) and I was just on jan 2, charged for shipping. While trying to track down a tracker #, I discovered this AM, that my order was on hold, since they lost my shipping address. That's now supposed to be corrected, and the order has gone to the whs. .... waiting....
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    I ordered the Surrettes dry but they arrived wet and 85 % charged

I have them sitting on a constant float charge

I am thinking of cashing in an IRA to spring for some HuP Ones 1300 AH or so -- I figure it is a better return than the 0.01% the IRA is currently paying

If you are only getting .01% in your IRA you really need to make some changes to it - my IRA got around 12% in 2011.

But that aside, while the HUP are good batteries, I don't think they are enough better to justify buying new ones if what you have is working.
  • BB.

Wow--Where is that IRA? Gold?

Between the various things happening out there (MF Gobal, Auction Rate Securities failures, Bernard Madoff, etc.)--Burying cans in the back yard is starting to make sense. :cry:

-Bill
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »

Between the various things happening out there (MF Gobal, Auction Rate Securities failures, Bernard Madoff, etc.)--Burying cans in the back yard is starting to make sense. :cry:

-Bill
    Most was in Fidelity mutual funds, FSRPX and FBSOX, had a little in the GLD etf, but moved that to some other stocks in Sept. I have a self managed IRA. But this is a bit off-topic for this thread.
  • oldchuck
    oldchuck Registered Users Posts: 7

Mine arrived. Just finished unloading them. 56 200W on two pallets. It was pretty hairy getting them into the barn. Very tippy on my tractor forks but no damage. Now they will sit until summer installation.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oldchuck wrote: »
    Now they will sit until summer installation.

Sounds like you bought 2 full pallets, but you might check through them just to be sure none were damaged in shipping. I had a reloaded pallet (20 panels) and they used white pine 2x4's which flexed enough to break the bottom panel.

I haven't heard back from my Email asking them to replace the broken panel, I'll call in the morning...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • oldchuck
    oldchuck Registered Users Posts: 7

Yes, you're right, I should. And yeah, two full pallets. Seems like they were rather flimsy pallets for such a heavy load too. I should look them over and maybe voltage test them. I'm planning on getting rid of ten or so of them to friends for a buck a watt.
  • Shane Jackson

That's odd as my pallet was built extremely well and very solid....
  • WillWinston
    BB. wrote: »

-Bill

That was my point -- At this stage in the economic cycle I am changing paper into useful, tangible things

At high AH sizes the Hup are actually less $/AH than Surrettes
  • Photowhit
    That's odd as my pallet was built extremely well and very solid....

Did you buy full pallets?

I purchased 20 panels and had a reloaded pallet, panels test sheets from 3 different pallets. I'm curious if people who had original pallets had the bottom plastic corners screwwed down? I think this might have give my load enough stiffness to prevent the pallet from flexing enough to break the bottom panel.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Shane Jackson

I ordered 24 panels so I am not sure if they just took off 4.... the bottom plastic corners were screwed down.

As for test sheet... I didn't see any.....

Shane
  • Photowhit

I went to their blog to get a phone number(odd place...) and saw their warehouse photos showing pallets with a double support running down the center and cut outs so you could use a fork from the sides. I'm sure my pallet was a 'made to order' pallet done for sending out less than pallet loads, just white pine 2x4's single across the middle, my corners were not screwwed down to the pallet, until I use the pallet to move them the last 8 miles, I did not lift the pallet.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    Thanks for the correction, B.B. Before the meters were overwhelmed, the Voc of the first few panels started at spec, and quickly driifted downward, around a volt per 2 minutes. At the same time, the short-circuit Current measurement stayed the same. It was a clear, sunny, cool day. If the Current was stable, but voltage drifted, would that indicate that something in a $4 meter was responsible?
    If you are measuring cold panels right after they've been sitting in the shade, voltage will go down as the panels warm up.

After they've been sitting in the sun a little bit the voltage will stabilize.
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

For those who have had issues with the Evergreen order, a google review may be appropriate as the staff of Sun Electronics appears to read them on occasion.
  • wild01
    wild01 Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Well, mine have arrived in good condition with a delivered cost of just under $.84 per watt full pallet of 28 215 watt panels. came in with the usual sunelec bumps. delivered to wrong address (the one I used when I bought kaneka panels off of them) OD freight was very easy to deal with on the address change though and all panels arrived w/o physical damage delivered w/ lift gated truck.

I don't like dealing w/sunelec customer service, hate it point of fact... but maybe it's time to move this thread out of the skeptics hype and scam corner
  • BB.

Move thread to Product Reviews and Opinions.

-Bill
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"I rebuild powerplants for a living, which is why I would never rely on one;)"

what type of power plants do you rebuild, ie. nuclear, coal, hydro.....? and what is your role in the rebuild?

if this is more than you want the forum to know you can pm me and if it's too much to reveal to me too just say noneya.;)
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I think the thread should have been left where it was as more than a few folks including myself did not get any merchandise despite having order numbers and paperwork and other reported sustitution of other brands of panels.

Then again a guess it can go into the review category and others can post their bad experiences