Can the Honda EU2000i be used as an iverter?

jeffkruse
jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
I am thinking of getting the Honda EU 2000i inverter generator. I was hoping it could also be used as an inverter. I looked at the manual and there doesn’t appear to be any way to do that. I was wondering if it could be done.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Can the Honda EU2000i be used as an iverter?

I'll hazard a guess that you mean feed it 12 Volts from a battery and get 120 Volts out, utilizing its inverter circuitry without running the generator's engine.

Whereas it is theoretically possible, it would require quite a bit of hacking into the Honda's internal wiring. I'd put this in the category of "inadvisable". A very good chance of ruining the generator to get a mere 1600 Watts capacity. Considering how inexpensive an inverter of that size is, it wouldn't be worth the effort and risk in my opinion.
  • jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Thanks. Thats exactly what I meant. I read on the internet that it could be done on inverter type generators in general. It would be a nice feature though.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I believe one of the smaller Yamaha gensets actually uses the starting battery to supply surge current through their inverter...
    With Boost Control Unit (BCU) technology, the EF3000iSEB utilizes power from its 12 volt battery producing surge power comparable to a 3500watt generator. At only 151 lbs., the EF3000iSEB is the perfect solution for your portable power needs.

Hmmm... Wonder where you could take that feature? :D

Might be a nice way to do a complete Hybrid Generator+Battery Inverter package. Boost up the battery size to support overnight loads. Add auto start to the genset... :roll:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    I believe one of the smaller Yamaha gensets actually uses the starting battery to supply surge current through their inverter...

Hmmm... Wonder where you could take that feature? :D

Might be a nice way to do a complete Hybrid Generator+Battery Inverter package. Boost up the battery size to support overnight loads. Add auto start to the genset... :roll:

-Bill

And you end up spending a whacking amount of money for a low-power system with no warranty. ;)

Unfortunately it's not as easy as just attaching a battery to the 12 Volt terminals on the EU and getting 120 VAC at the plug socket.

If some company wanted to do this I'm sure they could get 'er done for about $2,000 retail. They've probably looked at the idea and not seen enough demand to warrant the R&D. If a private individual wanted to do it ... might blow through a few generators before getting it right. I have the vague recollection of someone here planning a similar project until Mr. Killjoy (me) pointed out that the EU2000 cost as much as the inverter alone, nevermind the engine, battery, and necessary auto-throttle et cetera.

Here I go again, raining on everyone's parade with the practical economics thing. :blush:
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet they don't run a 12V dc system in the inverter, I'd assume a higher voltage, maybe 90V or so, to keep wire size/amps to a reasonable level. The 12V battery charger is likely a simple tap off something.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

If you have about 200 vdc voltage source available you can use the true sinewave inverter from an inverter generator. That is a 200 vdc voltage source, not 200 vdc from a PV array.

The permanent magnet alternator three phase full wave rectified output voltage is between 180 vdc and about 300 vdc depending on engine speed and load. Eco mode just regulates engine speed to keep a minimum of 180 to 200 vdc at alternator output. Reason for 180 vdc is the inverter just PWM's output into a sinewave, and with some inverter losses, 180 vdc is minimum necessary to make the 170 volt peak of a 120 vrms sinewave.

The 'boost' function on Yamaha generators is a bit of a joke. It uses a small 12 vdc to 200 vdc DC-DC converter to boost the 7 AH starter battery up to alternator output voltage. It provides a maximum additional surge power of 500 watts. So instead of 2800 watts for surge performance you have 3300 watts, not much difference. I have a Yamaha EF3000ise and it is very nice generator. I would not pay extra for the EF3000iseb 'boost' model.

The Honda EU6500i just uses two 120 vac inverter modules syncronized 180 degs out of phase and wired in series.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    RCinFLA wrote: »
    The Honda EU6500i just uses two 120 vac inverter modules syncronized 180 degs out of phase and wired in series.

Question: Does the EU6500i also have Eco mode like the EU1000i and EU2000i do?
    Thanks
    Wayne
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Question: Does the EU6500i also have Eco mode like the EU1000i and EU2000i do?
    Thanks
    Wayne

Yes
    http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EU6500i&modelid=EU6500ISAN
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Agreed. My father just had one delivered, I talked about it on the Generator Opinions thread, here: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?13982-Generator-Opinions&p=106263#post106263
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome guys. Thanks a lot. Checking for a friend who will also appreciate your answers.
    Wayne