Dual XW6048's does not synch, don't have 240volts

gardypr
gardypr Registered Users Posts: 5
Hi:
I installed dual XW6048 but doesn't syncronize. I measure each output of each XW6048 and have 120 volts. I programmed master as 01 and slave 02 but don't sync to 240 volts. I followed guide addendum for the XW Power System Installation.

Somebody can help me, I'm confused.
Thks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Dual XW6048's does not synch, don't have 240volts

Definitely confusion here, as a single XW6048's output is 240 VAC. When you stack them, the outputs go in parallel giving increased power capacity (12 kW instead of 6) not higher Voltage.

I think we need to see how you've got them wired.

Note: the XW can be re-arranged for 120 VAC output, but this is not standard and it's doubtful yours have been altered.
  • gardypr

It’s not parallel. I’m using the Appendix D XW Series Hybrid Inverter/Charger 120V/240V Split-Phase to 120V Single-Phase Conversion Instructions. If I use the XW Power System Installation Guide (Document Part Number 975-0239-01-01 do I need a software to alter the programming? This is the only way or there is another solution?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Specifically to add on Marc's post, the XW as shipped is a 120/240 VAC 60 Hz split phase unit. Adding additional units (master/slave I believe), you are just paralleling the outputs for more current (or possibly into a three phase setup).

And, there is a configuration option for folks that want all of their power on 120 VAC--You jumper the transformers to be in parallel (instead of series with Center Tap) and, if I recall correctly, upload some different firmware into the unit to run it at 120 VAC at full rated output.

Otherwise, a standard 120/240 VAC unit will allow you pull a maximum of ~75% of rated current from a single 120 VAC leg.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The XW's are a complex beast... You probably need to call Xantrex/Schneider tech support directly to get the latest information (they do phone much better than web/email direct support).

We do have one or two people from Schneider that work with the XW that sometimes post here (as well as some very knowledgeable installers)... Perhaps they can give you some better direction.

Usually, I like to get the basics out of the way first... What are the loads you are trying to support (120 or 240 or split phase; kW peak and average power, any long wire runs to well/solar array, size of battery bank, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot

:confused: I am officially totally confused. :confused:

What are you trying to achieve?

The reason for doing the 120 VAC conversion is so that full output power is available on 120 VAC (no balance issues). Adding a second such unit in series to get 240 VAC does not make any sense to me. I don't think the XW's are meant to be configured this way, and I doubt they will synch in a series-output configuration.

Like Bill said, what output are you trying to achieve?
    With two of these you can easily have 12 kW on 120/240 VAC split-phase. A single 129 leg can be loaded to 70% of the full capacity if needed.
  • gardypr

Hi:
    I want to configure each XW6048 120volts to make a combination that generates 240 volts using a network cable to syncronize them as indicated in the guide <http://www.altestore.com/mmsolar/others/Addendum_6048.pdf>. I have 1,250 amps batteries @ 8500 solar panel.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the very least, I think you need a System Control Panel (SCP) to instruct the inverters to play together. You may need to sync them with a Xanbus (plain ethernet) cable.

But they have to be stock factory inverters, 240VAC. not modified for 120V only.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot

:confused:
    But an XW 6048 puts out 240 as is. Why reconfigure two of them to 120 VAC, then try to recombine that to 240? There is no way of altering the total available power to anything other than 12 kW. They will synch in parallel at 240 VAC as per Xantrex specifications. I see no reason whatsoever for making the 120 VAC modification to each unit and then trying to connect them in series to produce 240 VAC when they put that out to begin with.

I guess I'm just getting too old and too stupid. :blush:
  • gardypr

Great, I'm but them as factory setting putting one master and another slave. Thanks for your help! I'll let you know how it comes out.
  • Cariboocoot
    gardypr wrote: »
    Great, I'm but them as factory setting putting one master and another slave. Thanks for your help! I'll let you know how it comes out.

The master/slave configuration is normal for stacking inverters; all slave units synch to the master's output/demand. This keeps the frequencies in line and allows the slave units to power down (reducing consumption) when their output is not required to meet load demands.
  • gardypr

The master/slave configuration is normal for stacking inverters; all slave units synch to the master's output/demand. This keeps the frequencies in line and allows the slave units to power down (reducing consumption) when their output is not required to meet load demands.

When I install both inverters as factory setting (240Volt), do I have to change name of master to "XW01" and slave to "XW02" in the System Control Panel?
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

On 240/120 vac split phase XW's, all the master and slave means is a master will operate automously like normal off-grid battery powered. A unit designated as a slave will first sycronize to the existing ACout waveform before turning on its inverter. When on grid they both take their phasing from the grid before engaging the pass through relay to put the inverter running in parallel with the grid.

I read through the 120 vac only addemum sheet. It allows a three phase configuration for 120vac units but no where does it say anything about series stacking units. There is appearently a timing pulse on the Xanabus to allow for the correct phasing on three phase setup.

I am pretty sure there is no software configuration to series stack two 120 vac configured XW's. They must be paralleled as two 240/120 vac split phase units.