I thought I had heard it all!

waynefromnscanada
waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
Still shaking my head. Just heard a discussion on CBC radio explaining one of the latest horrors to be dumped on the unsuspecting population of North America.
It appears that there is a segment spreading the word that "Smart Meters" are subjecting homeowners to "massive doses of radiation" and thus causing untold illness!
I won't even dare to wonder what next!

Comments

• TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Re: I thought I had heard it all!

A rumor promoted by the same folks that walk around with a cellphone glued to the side of their heads.......
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

when the power company installed a smart meter on our house, it started making "morse code" sounds over my computer speakers. and even the T.V. .. It has never done this before until they installed them. now the water company installed their so called smart meters 2 yrs ago. I guess the smart water meter is good. They informed my neighbor that they used 4000 gals of water in 4 days. yep, he ask me to help him to see if their is a leak, and sure enough, it was the main line between the meter and the house.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    TnAndy wrote: »
    A rumor promoted by the same folks that walk around with a cellphone glued to the side of their heads.......

Exactly! Or a cigarette dangling off their lip while they're on their way to the next tanning bed session.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Note the wording "massive doses of radiation": implying that these smart meters somehow leach free sub-atomic particles like decaying Uranium instead of mere high frequency radio waves. :roll:

I have heard this one already, and its associated scare-mongering about us being spied on by these meters (sure, if someone hacks the files and analyzes the data they may come up with a usage pattern that indicates when you're home and when you're not). Regrettably, many of the people around here buy into this nonsense. One of them has written a letter to the local paper saying how he has "informed" BC Hydro that he will "not allow" a smart meter at his house and that they can't force him to have one. This is true; he can opt for the other choice of no service. And our neighbour across the street is convinced that the 'radiation' will give her cancer so she's not having one. The other 150 of them around her won't?

If ignorance truly is bliss then the world must be full of ecstatic people. :p
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Note the wording "massive doses of radiation": implying that these smart meters somehow leach free sub-atomic particles like decaying Uranium instead of mere high frequency radio waves. :roll:

In the early 80s, I bought an anti-static brush for my records, powered by a Uranium strip on the handle. The manufacturer thoughtfully installed a finger guard over the strip to prevent contact, but it scared me enough to switch over to a piezo-electric anti-static gun from DiscWasher.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was impressed when they water company sent me a post card telling me I might have a water leak, I had already discovered that the pop off valve on the water heater had failed, and had replaced it, but the total bill for the month was only 3000 gallons so couldn't have leaked for long, and I might not have caught it if I hadn't just bought the place and was being overly careful.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Smart Meters" work in a "mesh network" and relay data throughout the neighborhood, till it gets to a tower. You meter may only send readings 4 times a day, but it's also acting as a relay site for all the other meters, and it's radio may be active 50% of the time. (at whatever low power they run) But it is enough to get into electronics and make the same chirps that cell phones make.

I wonder which side of the power sensor, the radio draws its power from.....
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I wonder which side of the power sensor, the radio draws its power from.....

Hopefully from the utility side!
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Exactly! Or a cigarette dangling off their lip while they're on their way to the next tanning bed session.

Like this classic ?
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    jagec wrote: »
    Keep in mind that 50% of all the people you will encounter in your life have an IQ of less than 100. ;)
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Love it.

ggun, scary but true. 8)
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

She just needs a bottle of Vodka and a line of funny white powder in front of her.
  • ggunn
    techntrek wrote: »
    Love it.

ggun, scary but true. 8)
    If it were required that everyone score at least 95 on an IQ test before being allowed to vote, many elections would have different outcomes. :roll:
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    If it were required that everyone score at least 95 on an IQ test before being allowed to vote, many elections would have different outcomes. :roll:

that's debatable as i believe they artificially skewed the numbers just to make people think they are smarter than they are. they're too dumb to realize it was skewed in the first place.:roll: imho, it should be 120 and lower.:p
  • ggunn
    niel wrote: »
    that's debatable as i believe they artificially skewed the numbers just to make people think they are smarter than they are. they're too dumb to realize it was skewed in the first place.:roll: imho, it should be 120 and lower.:p

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/