Water well

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I am looking for land in northern Arizona that has the availability of a water well being drilled. I was looking at land northeast of flagstaff at Alpine Ranches but a water well drill company told me the drill would be 1000+ feet and cost 100k. Is there any cheap undeveloped land with no utilities in northern Arizona where drilling a well would be financially feasible?>

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Water well

Most parts of AZ have good solar. :confused:
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Sorry if I didnt ask my question clearly,

Is there any undeveloped land in northern Arizona where a well can be drilled for a reasonable price ( 15k max ).
    The land I have seen the water is so deep it would cost 100k to drill a well.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you might want to contact a realtor for that info for if anybody should know it would be them.
  • System2
    Options

just trying to see if anyone might know of a place to begin looking. Considering this is a forum about wells in northern Arizona someone hopefully could tell me where they had theirs drilled.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    aleco06 wrote: »
    just trying to see if anyone might know of a place to begin looking. Considering this is a forum about wells in northern Arizona someone hopefully could tell me where they had theirs drilled.

Actually this is a forum about renewable energy, chiefly solar and wind. It is hosted by a company called Northern Arizona Wind and Sun that is located near Flagstaff and is in the business of selling RE equipment. This section of the forum is for discussing method of pumping water using RE, not necessarily just in that one locale.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.
  • System2
    Options
    Actually this is a forum about renewable energy, chiefly solar and wind. It is hosted by a company called Northern Arizona Wind and Sun that is located near Flagstaff and is in the business of selling RE equipment. This section of the forum is for discussing method of pumping water using RE, not necessarily just in that one locale.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Ah. Well, that does clarify things. Thanks.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ask some well drillers where the water is. Start in the Flagstaff yellow pages.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

There is little - if any - land in the Flagstaff area with water under 800 feet or so. Some info here http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1863&from=rss
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since it sounds like you have so little water in Arizona, maybe we could ship our water from the gaswells to you by the trainload? Pa and Ohio, w.verginia and NY are starting a gaswell boom and no one wants the water. Pa ships millions of gal. of water to Ohio now. They process it and inject the remains into an injection well. :Dsolarvic:D
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Options

They already do that. What was it called, the Big Canal? Flow water 1,000 miles from Colorado to Arizona, keeping it so chlorinated that it wasn't suitable for aquariums without treatment, and it collapsed old plumbing in a very short time. I think some cities chose to switch back to ground water.
    solarvic wrote: »
    Since it sounds like you have so little water in Arizona, maybe we could ship our water from the gaswells to you by the trainload? Pa and Ohio, w.verginia and NY are starting a gaswell boom and no one wants the water. Pa ships millions of gal. of water to Ohio now. They process it and inject the remains into an injection well. :Dsolarvic:D
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
    Options

In Arizona, there is a 99.9% correlation between where water is and where people are. If you find an area where there are no people, there is no water.
  • pabloesguapo
    pabloesguapo Solar Expert Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Options

Solarix is right. I can say this based on experience. We've been looking for suitable land in AZ for a couple years now. We originally looked in the Flagstaff area too, but found land to be very expensive, and the typical well to be 1000ft or more in depth. Good freakin' luck finding anything different up there.

We then started looking west, along and near I-40, (Williams, Peach Springs, Ash Fork, Kingman...) and found that the price of land does go down, but ground water to be just as scarce, elusive, and deeeeep. Every homesteader who's already there has to truck their water in. That totally defeats the purpose, IMHO.

Your best best is to head south and look around Prescott Valley, Cottonwood, Chino, Sedona, Wickenberg, etc.
    27 Kyocera panels, 6,500w
    24 CG2 6v batteries, 48v, 630Ah
    Midnite Classic 150 & Classic 150 Lite in "follow me" mode
    (2) Outback fx3648 inverters
    Generac ecogen 6kw backup generator
    Mate3s