induction cooktop efficiencies

wild01
wild01 Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
It's not really a solar product, but has anyone used/ have experience with induction cookers.

they seem like they might be a nice addition to my kitchen.

For those of you who haven't heard of them, they are cooktops/hot plates that use electromagnetic coils to induce heat in ferrous metal pans. the cooktop itself never actually gets hot, it just uses electromagnetism to heat up your pan, so the heat lost between the heating element and the pan in a convection top is eliminated. thus while the same amount of heat per watt is produced, more of it goes into your food and less is lost to heating up the room and stove top/coils.

I'm familiar with the technology, we use it on a much larger scale in power generation to heat bolts for hot bolt stretching (torquing), the lack of a need for heat transfer time is rather impressive in those situations, if you have a hot rod, you hit a button and a 3"dia bolt pretty much instantly turns red, whereas if you have to resort to a torch it takes about half an hour to get the bolt hot enough.
(of course hot rods use huge amounts of power-440 3phase 25 to 100 kw)

anyway, I was just looking at some 1800 watt basically induction hot plates, and I got to thinking if they really cut cooking time in half for the same amount of power expended, maybe I could get away with cutting back on my propane cooking and make a meal or 2 on electric. It would be nice as the propane companies here don't seem to want to admit that the wholesale price has crashed and are still charging 2.50 to 3.00 a gallon

anywho if any of you have tried them out I would love to hear your thoughts

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: induction cooktop efficiencies

You have to use the correct pot for the inductive unit.

If you had a hot plate and an inductive unit--it would be interesting to try a kill-a-watt meter on the two and see how the efficiencies differ.

The only thing I have to offer is the fuel cost calculator... Plug in electricity at $0.11 per kWH + 100% efficiency and $3 per gallon for propane and 78% efficiency, Electricity ends up being cheaper:
    • $32.23 per Million BTU of Heat delivered for electricity
    • $42.69 per Million BTU of Heat delivered for propane
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

This might be the thing for a blind friend. He hit a deer with his motorcycle and as a result is permanently blind now. He moved back in his home a couple months ago and only has a microwave to heat up some things. His family shut off his gas range and fireplace because they are afraid he might burn himself. he finally got them to turn on his fireplace. Guess I will research this and tell him about it. Could be safe enough for him to use, Maybe. S:Dlarvic
  • BB.

Perhaps a local blind assistance agency/group in the area... There still the issue of leaving things too long in the pot (fire) and spilling boiling water on himself (my grandfather did that--not good).

Smoke alarm with repeater to the rest of the home--or tied into an alarm to call family if set off...

If he sets up his place correctly (and no other major issues)--he should be as safe as anyone.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

The VA has given him lots of help. Spent the summer till about Thanksgiving at va blind trainimg centers. They want him to get more school but I guess he doesn,t want anymore yet. He is near retirement age. Must be bad to not see anything except complete black. S:Dolarvic
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    wild01 wrote: »
    It's not really a solar product, but has anyone used/ have experience with induction cookers.

they seem like they might be a nice addition to my kitchen.

They are popular in Europe.
    I was visiting my cousin and she had one, boiled water in a very short time. She loved it because the amount of heat was infinitely adjustable.
    When you take your pot off you can put your hand on the burner.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LucMan wrote: »
    When you take your pot off you can put your hand on the burner.

not a burner, it's an antenna (or a winding) for a lossy transformer, the steel pot.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

İ was all excited to buy one - until İ saw the price!

They want an arm, a leg and the first born!
  • mike95490

$73 @ amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-6000-Induction-Cooktop/dp/B000MVN1M6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267120051&sr=8-1

Also, some time ago, i'd started a thread about induction cooktops, questions and such:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=1888
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• BB.

One really nice thing about high efficiency cooktops/appliances is if you live in hot water / Air Conditioned space... Every Watt you avoid putting into the surrounding air / environment is one less Watt you need to pay when venting/moving it outside.

-Bill
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

İ was really referring to the Siemens state of the art types about price as everything else in the kitchen is Siemens.

We also get hit with 40% duty on most of this type of stuff if imported.
  • wild01
    wild01 Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at 120v countertop models, the big expensive 220v ones aren't even an option with my inverter.

EUS2F1S.jpg

this is the one I was thinking about, it runs about $250 us 1800 watts, and one review warned don't expect to actually cook on both at once, more like cook on one or simmer on 2

last time I bought a microwave, I took it back the next day, it was rated at 700 watts and drew 1600. thank you walmart.
  • peterako
    peterako Solar Expert Posts: 144 ✭✭

Keep in mind about the type of inverter.

I have a mixer cutter machine that is also heating using induction. yes really fast.

But yes there is a But.

I am using a full wave sinus inverter 8 KW (max. 16KW) or generator 16KW.

And it makes sound when in heating mode when running from inverter and the inverter is loading high. ( i think it is the elektronics high freq. antenna for the induction system)

A yes when on generator there is no problem.

greetings from Greece
  • mike95490

Just posted a couple pics and very short captions here
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30844567&l=3156e351c6&id=1196643274 (Photo 27 of 115, may require a FB login, sorry)
    about my induction plate.
    short story, I like it.

Induction cook plate. As long as there is magnetic metal in the pan, it gets hot. Directly from the antenna in the base, there is no heat, the metal is heated from the resistance/reluctance of the metal. Very efficient, about 90%, compared to 40% with a regular glow coil hot plate. When off-grid, you have to pay attention to this stuff.

Water trenches, electrical conduit, cable pulling, BBQ, and more work.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2046878&id=1196643274&l=5f0faaf572

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Facebook requires an account login to see that. I don't have a Facebook account. I don't want a Facebook account. I'm (hopefully) never going to have a Facebook account.
  • BB.

No teenage kids whose teachers are now using facebook more than email? :roll::cry:

-Bill
  • dwh
    BB. wrote: »
    No teenage kids whose teachers are now using facebook more than email? :roll::cry:

-Bill

Newp. I was a single father for 18 years (from the time my son was 7 mo. old). He went into the USMC when he was 18. He's out and has a good job now.

He's got a Facebook page that I think he updates once a year or so. Doesn't help me since he's at work today - works for a computer game company and they are doing the "Crunchtime OT" thing right now.

EDIT: And as for the teacher thing...I homeschooled my son through high school, so we never had to deal with so-called "teachers". He walked in cold and nailed a 99% on the GED. Then he had to earn 15 college credits to get into The Corps. So he did.
  • BB.

We are homeschooling our two kids too... Have few outside classes where students and "homeschooling teachers" seem to do a lot in Facebook.

Don't like it and my oldest is having problems with me "not understanding" by limiting access so much... Tough cookies.

In the end, they will turn 18 and be on their own. Hopefully, they have learned enough.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

If it's any consolation to you "young fathers" :p, 90% of the time the kids turn out okay. There were times we were sure that jail would be the ultimate destination of each one, and yet ... One is a civil engineer, one has her own promotion company, and the third is a CDA & orthodontics tech.

Now we just have to worry about the grandkids surviving to adulthood ... and there being a world worth living in by the time they get there. :cry:
  • dwh

People used to ask me about what nanny software I used to protect my son from the internet. I told them,

"None, it's all crap. I don't care about my kid seeing sex...but I really DON'T want him seeing accident and autopsy photos...and medical university websites aren't blocked by nanny software. Sex isn't evil, but nightmares can surely be. I protect my child by not allowing him to use the internet unless I'm sitting right there next to him."

Once he hit 14 though, I backed off on that and let him do whatever he wanted. AS LONG AS it didn't interfere with "real life". He learned that lesson when he was about 10 - he was playing his Nintendo and would NOT respond when I called him. I went into his room and told him to save his game and let's go and he was a real prick about it.

So I yanked his Nintendo off the shelf, tossed it onto the floor and stomped it into pieces. I then refused to buy him another one. Told him the next one he had to pay for himself, and make no mistake - I would stomp that one too if he let escapism get in the way of real life.

Kids listen very carefully, so I was always VERY careful with my word choices.

He seems to have turned out alright.

I'm extremely proud of him, and I don't take the credit - I think any parent always looks back and thinks they could have done better.

EDIT: Took out the link. Just realized I should have asked his permission first. Like me, he's touchy about his privacy.
  • mike95490
    dwh wrote: »
    Facebook requires an account login to see that. I don't have a Facebook account. I don't want a Facebook account. I'm (hopefully) never going to have a Facebook account.

Odd, very odd. I have my facebook albums set to public. I just verified that a browser w/o a fb acct loggin in, CAN see them.

try this link:
    and look for photo 27
    and I updated the earlier post.

Trenches, cables, water, electric cooking (photo 27)

Mike

• dwh

Those links work for me. I thought it was odd as well, since I had looked at your photo album before.