Solar Panel prices STILL Dropping

2»

Comments

• bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Re: Solar Panel prices STILL Dropping
    ggunn wrote: »
    I hate to break it to ya, but PV modules that you have already purchased will never drop in price. ;^)

Can't help that you don't get it
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    Can't help that you don't get it
    Of course I get it; did you? ;^)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

Oh boy... The bane of moderators--Innocuous Internet Humor. :roll:

-Bill :p;)
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    BB. wrote: »
    Oh boy... The bane of moderators--Innocuous Internet Humor. :roll:

-Bill :p;)

I humbly submit to my 30 second ban. ;)
  • bmet

Apparently jabs at newbies' expense Only go one way. Out of here.
  • BB.

Bmet--Sorry, I was just trying to keep things from going south... Guess I failed that that.

-Bill :cry:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ggunn
    Apparently jabs at newbies' expense Only go one way. Out of here.
    Wow, that's being pretty sensitive. I meant no jab; sorry you took it that way.
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    Kind of feel stupid now for buying the panels back in the spring from different company for $1.50/w.

Don't feel too bad, I paid $2.65 a watt for my panels 19 months ago and the price had just dropped so I though I was getting a sweet deal.

Then again, maybe I did. By installing last year I was eligible for my power company's Performance Based Incentive.
    They've run out of money so now you have to sign up on a waiting list, maybe they will have money available in 4-5 years.

Net result, my panels will be paid off for a year or so before I would be able to install panels if I signed up on the waiting list this year.
  • phred01
    phred01 Solar Expert Posts: 35
    . Assuming no space constraints, doesn't it makes a lot more sense to buy $6,000 worth of extra panels than to buy a $6,000 tracker?

Yep no moving parts!:D
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

saw an ad today for 78 cent watt panels from a bankrupt company. I guess without a warranty to honor the price gets even better.
  • bmet
    saw an ad today for 78 cent watt panels from a bankrupt company. I guess without a warranty to honor the price gets even better.

And the 'complete' panels advertised for $1.10 W suddenly become $1.34 W when you try to order them. I realize the price is still low, but I don't appreciate the mislead.

AND

The Evergreen liquidation, according to their blog, has a 20 panel minimum order. No chance for me, then. I'm not ready for whole house project, but it would be nice to upgrade. *sigh*

Not this time.
  • Shane Jackson
    Shane Jackson Solar Expert Posts: 49

Yea hopefully I will be able to pick up some at $.78/watt....

I see a lot of people complaining that they have a 20 panel minimal... You have to think about it from their point, they are probably making very little and to keep the price lower they have to have minimal orders in place. It is cheaper to sell 20 panels to 1 person rather than 1 panel to 20 people (20 times the work) I guess they could build some of the expense into the shipping charge.... but who would pay $300 to ship 1 panel or $320 to ship 20.....

My advice is to find someone close by to go in an order together or order the 20 panels and sell what you don't need locally on Craigs list. There are a ton of people out there that don't need 20 but would love to buy 1 or 2 at a little of a premium (still tons less than Harbor Crap or Northern Screws.)

that's my .02

Shane
  • bmet

They did change their minds about small orders, and I tried to reserve 8. They took my information, said I'd get an email confirmation, and so far nothing. I called several times, and spoke with the same salesperson, but still no email. Perhaps I am being punished since I was one who complained.
  • rollandelliott

They are just not as organized as you might like. Make sure you keep on them.
  • HuntingHawk
    HuntingHawk Registered Users Posts: 12

Here is what I found. When you get to 100watts+ per panel you now get an "oversie" handling charge. My initial solar panels were four 90watt panels from solarblvd. They were $159 per panel + shipping. Delivered came just above $2/watt. When I tried to get more they were out & ordered two 80watt panels at $129 per panel & with shipping came to just under $2/watt.

HuntingHawk
  • rollandelliott

Since solar is so expensive in many places, most people wind up installing a larger system so they can get cheaper shipping by the pallette and avoid paying UPS oversize fees, which can quickly cost more than truck shipping in a little time.
  • ggunn
    Here is what I found. When you get to 100watts+ per panel you now get an "oversie" handling charge. My initial solar panels were four 90watt panels from solarblvd. They were $159 per panel + shipping. Delivered came just above $2/watt. When I tried to get more they were out & ordered two 80watt panels at $129 per panel & with shipping came to just under $2/watt.

HuntingHawk

This arrived in my inbox yesterday at about 10PM:

======================================================
    Today at 1:00PM, We won the auction for approximately 6.5 MW of the Evergreen ES-E and ES-A series modules from 195 to 225 Watts. Over 65 40ft Containers are GRADE A, UL Listed as well as TUV and CE. Approximately 5 containers are GRADE B with full certification and warranty. All these modules have a 0 to + 5% power output tolerance. They have a 25 year warranty and are available in either 18V or 24V nominal voltage output.

All pallets come with flash data tests. For complete specifications click here [here's the link (sunelec link edited). To reserve an order you must put down a 10% deposit. All orders are to be prepaid by Monday 12:00 noon. Over 65 40ft containers will begin shipping approximately November 12 and will take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive in Miami, FL.

Minimum order is 20 modules. Call for shipping quotes from our Miami warehouse.

We can also drop ship full container loads to anywhere in the world from the auction warehouse location in Antwerp Belgium. Call for shipping quotes for full containers.

Thank you.
    John Kimball
    Sun Electronics
    ======================================================

My guess is that they sent the notice out to the NABCEP installer list. I don't know which "Monday 12:00 noon" they mean, as I got it ten hours after noon yesterday (Monday 11/7/2011).
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

On Friday, an on-line auction was held for the Solyndra liquidation. Mostly huge lots of panels but some small (2 pallets). Average winning bids were about $.60/W.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Evergreen liquidation sale: 78¢ per watt!
    Grade a, ul, tuv, ce listed
    25 year waranty
    delivery 5-6 weeks
    78¢/w applies to orders with 10% deposits placed before friday 11.11.11 (pst).
    Call now to make your reservation.

Might be worth the risk if your in the market and can wait for the shipping to happen.

Add $530 for shipping one pallet of 28 to Phoenix, AZ. YMMV
  • BB.

Just remember, we are not a support forum for Sun Elec....

-Bill
  • solar_dave
    Just remember, we are not a support forum for Sun Elec....

-Bill

Made no reference to the source in my post. ;)
  • Shane Jackson
    Shane Jackson Solar Expert Posts: 49
    solarix wrote: »
    On Friday, an on-line auction was held for the Solyndra liquidation. Mostly huge lots of panels but some small (2 pallets). Average winning bids were about $.60/W.

Well that info would have been useful FRIDAY.... LOL
  • Fatawan
    Fatawan Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Low prices--get 'em while manufacturers are still alive!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-10/solar-glut-to-worsen-after-prices-plunge-93-on-rising-supply-commodities.html?cmpid=yhoo
  • bmet

After my initial complaint about the exclusion of small orders, the owner of that company emailed a scolding response("By the way do you still Rob church donation boxes for starving kids". He then authorised small orders, but also took at jab at me.

"The small buyes of onesy twosies will not effect the industry’s larger companies. Most of these people are low income and need power more than the rest of us. They are primarily off-grid home owners, RV’ers, sailors, etc. I believe."

John Kimball, Ladies and Gentlemen.

After he again blogged that small orders would be accepted, I asked about my order of 8 panels, to which he responded quickly.

My card has been charged the 10% deposit as was stipulated at the beginning, but there is still no email or order confirmation. I'm uncertain if I got the panels or not.
    They did change their minds about small orders, and I tried to reserve 8. They took my information, said I'd get an email confirmation, and so far nothing. I called several times, and spoke with the same salesperson, but still no email. Perhaps I am being punished since I was one who complained.
  • solar_dave
    After my initial complaint about the exclusion of small orders, the owner of that company emailed a scolding response("By the way do you still Rob church donation boxes for starving kids". He then authorised small orders, but also took at jab at me.

"The small buyes of onesy twosies will not effect the industry’s larger companies. Most of these people are low income and need power more than the rest of us. They are primarily off-grid home owners, RV’ers, sailors, etc. I believe."

John Kimball, Ladies and Gentlemen.

After he again blogged that small orders would be accepted, I asked about my order of 8 panels, to which he responded quickly.

My card has been charged the 10% deposit as was stipulated at the beginning, but there is still no email or order confirmation. I'm uncertain if I got the panels or not.

You better call them as now it looks like they want all the bucks up front for the complete order.
    CALL NOW TO PLACE YOUR ORDER AT 78¢/W
    GRADE A & B, UL, TUV, CE LISTED
    25 YEAR WARANTY. DELIVERY 3-4 WEEKS
    THIS PRICE APPLIES TO ORDERS PAID IN FULL AND PLACED BEFORE FRIDAY 11.11.11 (PST) NOON.

FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED

ETA 16 day sea transit time from port to port
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, about that, I'm not sure that's "kosher", I think Visa & MC, only allow a deposit, and balance when shipment happens. They did the same to me, billed the entire amount up front.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.

Again, please be nice--We are not a customer support forum for any retailer, distributor, or manufacturer.

-Bill
  • solar_dave
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Yeah, about that, I'm not sure that's "kosher", I think Visa & MC, only allow a deposit, and balance when shipment happens. They did the same to me, billed the entire amount up front.

I think they can put a hold for the full amount but can only get a release of funds once shipped. Seems a bit shady to me as well.
  • solar_dave
    Again, please be nice--We are not a customer support forum for any retailer, distributor, or manufacturer.

-Bill

Was done as a warning more than anything else. I personally think the practice is shady.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭

Wind-Sun's prices descend a bit more, HURRY!:

http://www.solar-electric.com/hiposopa.html

HNY, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.