Data loggers...

Options

Comments

• silent wolf
    silent wolf Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Data loggers...

One last question before I start to buy everything. Can some one please draw, or find a schematic of everything, from one solar panel, to load, to sensor ect....

Thanks!
  • silent wolf
    Options

Another Question.

in this http://www.campbellsci.com/vdiv10_1
    What does the L and the H stand for?
    What plug would I use for this project?
  • silent wolf
    Options

Checked at work today, we have many 50-75 watt resistor. But the thing is, they all have different ohms.... Which ohm should I use? I think 6 will do? Any responce will be great! same with the past questions too! Thanks

UPDATE! I AM USING 50 WATT SOLAR PANELS!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

V=I*R
    P=V*I=V^2 /R=I^2 *R
    R=V/I

For a reasonable approximation, the Vmp of the panels is set by temperature (as temperature rises, Vmp falls). As a second order effect, current rises a bit with temperature.

Say you want Vmp=15 volts and a 50 watt panels:
    • R=V^2 / P = (15 volts)^2 / 50 watts = 4.5 Ohms
    Now, you are trying to show that a solar panel with cooling will output a bit more power... And for the most part, that decrease in temperature causes a slight rise in Vmp--Which, would seem to indicate a slight change in the Resistance value...

In practice, perhaps you can simply monitor Vmp/Imp at a fixed R value and come to some conclusions.

To prove (or disprove) your theory, in the end you will probably have to setup a pair of matched MPPT type charge controllers with appropriate load banks/batteries+loads.

Notice that your setup will only produce "additional power" for MPPT type charge controllers.

PWM controllers will not see any additional power (other than a higher Vmp because of the "panel cooling" may charge/equalize a battery better on a very hot/windless day if the panels have marginally low Vmp ratings).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok, that will not work, as I said before I need all the data. I need it recorded, and saved, and also need it for about 7 months. I can just read it and write it down, I need to go to work. And my system that my project is is only going to be about 400 watts total.

Actually with TED you can write a script to call the data logger, and get all the raw data. There is an API.

check out this page, there is an interface of getting 1 or 2 second data as well
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/powermeterthread?tid=45f278a7324955bf&hl=en
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

He is looking at getting the DC voltage/current/power for each of his 5 panels . So the TED will not work for him.
  • silent wolf
    Options

Ok... So what do I do then? Buy a inverter instead of the resistors??? Can I just make a rig with light bulbs for the resistance? That seems like it would work for me but I am not sure. Please help.
  • BB.
    Options

Well--Filament lamps tend to be constant current devices (as voltage falls, filament temperature falls, resistance falls).

Off-Grid Inverters are constant power loads. P=I*V... As voltage falls, current must increase to keep power constant.

Perhaps, your "cheapest" and most efficient load would be to look at using a few Enphase Grid Tied Inverter "bricks". They are true MPPT devices, one per ~200 watt panel, and will attempt to gather 100% of the available power and drive it to your grid (so you don't waste power with dummy loads, battery maintenance/control, etc.).

Since you are looking at cooling the panels--you could do a "quick screen" of what works best (say you have 4 different cooling system designs and an unmodified panel for baseline).... Just setup the five panels and monitor panel temperature. You already know the temperature offsets for Vmp, Imp, and Pmp--so just monitoring a panel set for cell temperature (thermocouple or IR system) with either no load or even a dead short (some worst case self heating). Figure out the "best" one or two.

Then get 2-3 Enphase units and wire up to the 2-3 panels and power them from 240 VAC. Either monitor the Enphase with your data loggers, or get an Enphase box (not cheap) and see what data you can pull from the data boxes without paying for the web subscription (or perhaps web subscription would be nice).

You could rotate the 2-3 Enphase once a day or once a week to double check that the Enphase units are matched (or determine the wind-age factors).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • silent wolf
    Options

So the lights wont work? not even LED's?

What about this sensor?

http://www.ibuttonlink.com/ms-tc.aspx
  • BB.
    Options

LED's are very non-linear loads (typically need some sort "ballast" to limit current / make LED function independent of voltage).

I am not saying the lights will not work--it is just that they are not fixed resistance... For some applications they are very nice loads.

The Temp/Current sensor you link to will only work with AC current (uses transformers) and will not work with DC current (at least the model you are looking at).

It really depends on what it is you are trying to measure/emulate/quantify.

For the most part, people that would be looking at your system will be using MPPT type charge controllers--which are not constant power, current, voltage loads... They are a complex load that adjust the operating points based on solar panel conditions (amount of light, temperature, number of cells, etc.).

You can use any load type you want (resistor, lamp, current sink, voltage based load, etc.)--but you would have to do some hand-waving/calculations to transfer that data over to how a MPPT type controller would operate (improvements) with your panel cooling jacket.

The cheapest/easiest method I can think of is to use the Enphase (or similar) type GT inverters. as your active panel load... They have MPPT front ends and use the utility network as an unlimited load. Their remote monitoring may be accurate enough (and provide enough data) that you could forget the rest of the data logging stuff (don't know how accurate they really are--but measuring kWH output from each Enphase brick would not be hard or expensive (to compare with logged data).

-Bill
  • silent wolf
    Options

Ok, well I do not want to hook them all up and test it agianst controls. I need individual reading, as the Lux changes day by day, and that isn't acceptable.

Because I wish not to spend +$1000 on a data logger for this, I wish now to use shunt volts.

Now! Can someone please list a data logger with the appropriot sensors to measure he following;

1. Measure shunt volts
    2. Get Amps from Volts (can be done later on spread sheet)
    3. If possible 5-6 temperature readings.
    4. Can be plugged into 10 vac
    5. Can be plugged into a computer
    6. Can be indoors/ outdoors

Thanks!!!

If some one can do the above ^^^^ that be great! Also If you have time please draw a schematic of this, I still don't understand shunt volts very well, even when reading it off other websites.

Would this work? for the mppt
    http://www.rvfunproducts.com/solar-charge-controllerregulator-4amp10amp20amp-p-2236.html
  • silent wolf
    Options

Unless I get a sponsorship that is, I have found a data logger with variable resistors, its a HOBO system. Seems really nice! It will be around $1300, Unless their is one cheaper.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless I get a sponsorship that is, I have found a data logger with variable resistors, its a HOBO system. Seems really nice! It will be around $1300, Unless their is one cheaper.

If you want to play, ya gotta pay!!!:cry::cry: S:Dlarvic
  • silent wolf
    Options
    solarvic wrote: »
    If you want to play, ya gotta pay!!!:cry::cry: S:Dlarvic

Ya, hopping I get a sponsorship this week at I-SWEEEP. They sure give a lot of money away....
  • silent wolf
    Options

How does this work then? Doesn't this just use a 10 amp fuse, "A fixed resistance?"
    http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-Digital-Multimeter-Interface-DT9602R/dp/B000E2422G/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Ok, well I do not want to hook them all up and test it agianst controls. I need individual reading, as the Lux changes day by day, and that isn't acceptable.

Because I wish not to spend +$1000 on a data logger for this, I wish now to use shunt volts.

Now! Can someone please list a data logger with the appropriot sensors to measure he following;

1. Measure shunt volts
    2. Get Amps from Volts (can be done later on spread sheet)
    3. If possible 5-6 temperature readings.
    4. Can be plugged into 120 vac
    5. Can be plugged into a computer
    6. Can be indoors/ outdoors
    7. Reads at least 5 panels
    8. Separate reading for 5 panels
    9. Different resistance on each panel, (Probably from a smal MPPT)

Thanks!!!

Would this work for a resistance???? It is a MPPT.

http://www.rvfunproducts.com/solar-c...mp-p-2236.html

All the threads below dont matter! Unless you want to read up on it, I posted all the questions that are un answered above this one.

Thanks

~~~Kevin~~~
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Options

Might try:
    www.bing.com
    www.google.com
    www.yahoo.com
    etc
    etc
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    You could rotate the 2-3 Enphase once a day or once a week to double check that the Enphase units are matched (or determine the wind-age factors).
    Not only that, but it's likely the panels are are mismatched enough (most spec out at a 5% range in output, sometimes up to 10%!) to significantly bias your results. So at the very least you'll want to test the panels without your mods first to get a baseline from each panel and use that baseline to determine how effective your mods are.
  • BB.
    Options
    Would this work for a resistance???? It is a MPPT.

http://www.rvfunproducts.com/solar-c...mp-p-2236.html

A big problem may be:
    MPPT includes a sweep-function which runs through the whole solar-panel voltage range once every 2 hours to find the point of the absolute maximum power output.

That might confuse your monitoring if it does a "re-track" after two hours (not sure that this makes sense other than there may be an issue where the controller looses it marbles once in a while?).

In any case, you need to provide some sort of controlled loads to the battery bank to ensure that the controller does not go into absorb/float mode and start to cut back on the energy harvest.

I still look at the Enphase as being cheaper (one $200 unit per panel) and getting rid of the whole battery/bank/load management issue.

It would also seem that if you are into monitoring--you need to log wind speed, air temperature, panel temperature, water temperature, water volume/flow, etc... There are a lot of variables and if your panels/measurements end up in the 5-10% accuracy range--and you are looking for a 5-20% improvement in panel output with cooling--it will be difficult to separate the improvement from the noise.

-Bill

-Bill
  • silent wolf
    Options
    drees wrote: »
    Not only that, but it's likely the panels are are mismatched enough (most spec out at a 5% range in output, sometimes up to 10%!) to significantly bias your results. So at the very least you'll want to test the panels without your mods first to get a baseline from each panel and use that baseline to determine how effective your mods are.

All ready did that

wind speed, air temperature, panel temperature, water temperature, water volume/flow

Already have everything for that.

That might confuse your monitoring if it does a "re-track" after two hours (not sure that this makes sense other than there may be an issue where the controller looses it marbles once in a while?).
    So it may get a error? and stop producing the greatest output?

I still look at the Enphase as being cheaper (one $200 unit per panel) and getting rid of the whole battery/bank/load management issue.

So all it has to be is a "Enphase" inverter? Anything that has to be special for this type of project?

As stated below, couldn't I just use this as a resistance? I have one of these already, well one exactly like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-Digit...m_cr_pr_sims_t
  • BB.
    Options

The Enphase (assuming that it works as advertised and it has a relatively effective MPPT front end) does address your "active load" issue very nicely. It is the only small / low(er) cost single brick device that I know off (or the SWEA GT inverter and equivalents might be an interesting option--probably not any cheaper, and they don't have any monitoring that I remember) that I can think of off-hand that I would use to do this experiment (as I understand your needs).

Here are a couple discussions about micro GT inverters:

Micro grid tied inverters on E-bay
    Enphase

Now, the Enphase does have lots of data locked up in a proprietary interface (power-line communications / monitoring system)...

The communications box is $350 and has some "local" information available--but, as I understand, probably a crippled output so that you will pay some $x per year per inverter for monitoring (data is shipped back to Enphase subscription website and represented back to the GT system owner)...

So, you are left with monitoring the DC input or AC output with a data logger, or getting an "Envoy" data hub for $350 and pulling what data you can out of it, or getting an Envoy and a web subscription and using what data the web interface supplies...

There are a few folks here trying to figure out how to get more data from the Envoy--perhaps you can talk with them (I don't think anything has come of that yet).

The Amazon link is broken--so I could not do anything there.

Regarding the 2 hour re-track---That is just it--I don't know what will happen.

Not all MPPT algorithms are created equal. And it can be very frustrating for you as you dig through the data and start trying to separate the effects you are looking for (cooling of solar panels) from the confusion of a mix of equipment--each with its own peculiarities.

-Bill
  • silent wolf
    Options

Ok, thanks
    From what I understand, from the link you gave me on enphase inverters, you are recommended to use 60 to 72 cell solar panels, 190 watt ~ 220 watt.

Would that effect the project data?

Also for the logging, I can then use a simple data logger that reads current when there is a load on it and only costing me around $200.

The amazon link is
    http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-Digital-Multimeter-Interface-DT9602R/dp/B000E2422G/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
  • silent wolf
    Options

So far this is what I am guessing what it will be:

http://store.solar-electric.com/kykc65wasomo.html 5*$150= $750

http://store.solar-electric.com/en200wasomii.html 5*227.50= $1137.50

http://wattsview.com/#Low 5*179.00=$859 (If you can please list a cheaper one that be great) Now that I am using a inverter, cant I measure the AC current? or no?

Total= expensive........
  • BB.
    Options
    Ok, thanks
    From what I understand, from the link you gave me on enphase inverters, you are recommended to use 60 to 72 cell solar panels, 190 watt ~ 220 watt.

Would that effect the project data?

I am not sure what your question is... You need to look at the specifications for the Enphase units (I know they are "listed" for specific panels--but for your needs--as long as the panels meet the Vmp/Imp requirements--you should be fine).

You listed smaller panels (65 watt)--I would guess that they will work with the Enphase units--But remember that all of these GT inverters have "tare" losses. Basically the power to run the internal electronics/switcher power supply before the first watt is output to the AC line. The smaller the solar panel, the more the GT inverter losses come into play (and need to be accounted for). At lower power production levels (low light)--you might get some startup "glitches" (some power draw, panel voltage collapses, restart etc.). A smaller panel may limit the morning/evening power production--but that may be of less interest to you as you are probably more interested in quantifying the heat of the day performance changes.
    One of the issues with measuring power is you need to measure both the voltage and the current at the same time (especially for AC readings) to get accurate power measurements. Few run of the mill DMM's do this.
    Note that this is a 208 VAC unit--typically used for 3 phase power systems--is that what you wanted?
    Total= expensive........
    Yea... :cry:

In the end, you may want to buy one of each first and setup your planned configuration--Make sure they meet your needs before buying 4x more.

What I am suggesting is just based on reading the various papers and documents concerning the products we have talked about--I am not speaking from a point of hands-on experience. So, I would go slow on the cash outlays until you have validated a working setup.

I should also add that with the Enphase / Micro GT inverters, you have the option of monitoring the DC input or the AC output... Potentially, one of the new T.E.D. or equivalent whole house monitoring systems would be a cheap(er) quick and dirty monitoring system. There have been a couple recent threads here about home monitoring. Down side is you are only looking at the Enphase output and missing the whole DC solar panel behavior side of things.

-Bill
  • a0128958
    a0128958 Solar Expert Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Options

This is a pretty interesting unit to measure DC voltage (up to 200 V) and current (up to 60 A) in a pretty safe manner, and relatively inexpensively ($119 w/o cables).

While it requires a computer to operate, s/w to do the logging, storage, and graphical presentation is included in the price.

I note one safety item that should be done regardless of DAS used. And that is a fuse in the DC voltage measuring circuit that's across the load resistor (or inverter's DC input terminals).

Best regards,

Bill
  • silent wolf
    Options
    3 phase power systems

What does this necessarily mean?

So couldn't I use a fuse for a load then?

So would you think I still can get accurate readings from these smaller panels during the day? I dont need it in the morning right away, just as long as it starts around 9:00.

Overall, Tomorrow I am leaving for isweeep early morning, I am hopping to get with solar companies and get 200 watt solar panels. I have already been talking to SOLON since there is a manufacturing plant in tucson where I live.
  • BB.
    Options
    What does this necessarily mean?
    three phase power
    All it means (I believe) is that the AC output voltage of the Enphase GT inverter your link pointed to is designed to operate at 208 VAC nominal voltage (a voltage typically associated with some versions of three phase industrial power) instead of 240 VAC nominal line voltage (183-229 Vac vs 211-264 Vac).

All you need to do is identify if you have 208 or 240 VAC service and then pick the correct Enphase Inverter for your service.
    So would you think I still can get accurate readings from these smaller panels during the day? I dont need it in the morning right away, just as long as it starts around 9:00.
    Again, I have never even held an Enphase inverter in my hands--As a rough estimate, the inverters are 95% efficient, so that means their worst case operating loss is ~5%--Or 0.05*200watts=10 watts of tare losses.

So, my guess is that any wattage (P=V*I) that is less than 10 watts output will give you variable results (i.e., the Enphase internal electronics will be cycling on and off while attempting to load down the panel enough to start selling power). ( I would guess that they could (again, worst case guess) need upwards of 20 watts of panel power before the GT inverters stabilize their "MPPT Load" for your needs.

That is why I suggest that you only get one of the micro inverters before you layout "bigger money" for an entire set to ensure that they meed your needs.
    Overall, Tomorrow I am leaving for isweeep early morning, I am hopping to get with solar companies and get 200 watt solar panels. I have already been talking to SOLON since there is a manufacturing plant in tucson where I live.
    I would prefer the 200 watt panels--that would give you a wider "active load range" vs panel size to minimize other sources of errors (should make the start-up errors 1/4 as large).
    So couldn't I use a fuse for a load then?
    I believe the comment is for fusing the voltage measuring leads on the shunt resistor--The issue here is that the shunts may be at some other voltage besides zero volts... The remote/data logging volt meter leads come from the shunt to the DAC unit... Any short circuits in the voltage leads/DAC/etc. side of the system could bring the full amperage from the shunt down through your volt meter leads (typically small gauge wire because there is no current).

What is typically done when connecting to the voltage points on a shunt is to use small fuses (1 amp or less) or some resistors (100-10,000 ohms -- depending on the input resistance of the DAC/voltmeter--and they make fusible resistors too) to prevent any "down stream shorts" from causing your logger wiring from catching fire.

If you are using shunts on individual small solar panels, the fuses may not be needed. If you are using shunts on a DC battery bank and the shunts are not at ground potential (i.e., in the ground leg of the battery bank)--then you very much do need voltage sense lead fusing/resistors.

-Bill
  • a0128958
    a0128958 Solar Expert Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Options

Silent Wolf, good luck at I-Sweep.

From all of the above 'conversation,' my guess is you're (a pretty smart) high school student, who has a great idea on cooling solar PV panels with water to improve the panels' performance. And that you're looking to obtain everything to get started proving your ideas (solar panels you can modify with your idea(s), some kind of load for the panels, and a data acquisition system (DAS) of some kind.)

If the above is correct, my guess is you might be successful getting a lot of your materials and equipment donated, or loaned to you.

For example, I see you live in AZ. Perhaps NAWS has some discontinued, blemished, or otherwise perfectly functioning panels to loan for your research. And perhaps Campbell Scientific, OurCoolHouse (WEL), WattsView, or Enphase will loan or donate discontinued, old, or used equipment. I think it's worth a shot at least asking these companies for their support.

If my guessing here is correct, then a.) you've done a good job absorbing a lot of contributions of technical comment here, and b.) I don't think there's going to be 'few dollar' solution for obtaining measurements on the quality level to derive meaningful research conclusions.

Best regards,

Bill
  • silent wolf
    Options

Right on! Ya, I am a high school student. I am tring to get a internship at some place that would have access to the materials at a cheap cost to make one or somthing. Thanks for the support. I will let you know how I-Sweeep turns out.

How hard do you think it would be to make a sort of Enphase inverter? All it is, is a mppt and power inverter correct?

Ya, I am starting to ask companies for materials.

My teacher is going to try to get me a grant from a solar company, although I think it may not happen you never know.
  • BB.
    Options

It is not easy to make a good MPPT type controller... "Lorelec" (poster here) designed and sells the Rogue MPPT controller and used to have detailed documents available for purchase. He and Solar Guppy have been very helpful for students who want to learn about MPPT technology--But this is a huge project just in itself--Not something to tackle as a side project (as I understand it).

Another device type to look at is the Linear Current Booster/Pump Drive device... It may allow you to put a known electrical load and do a kind of MPPT algorithm for the solar panels... They are still not cheap ($91 each)--but are less expensive and may allow you do to the simple resistive load with better MPPT type tracking.

Again, I have never had one in my hands/on a lab bench--but it may be another alternative as an electronic load.

-Bill
  • silent wolf
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    It is not easy to make a good MPPT type controller... "Lorelec" (poster here) designed and sells the Rogue MPPT controller and used to have detailed documents available for purchase. He and Solar Guppy have been very helpful for students who want to learn about MPPT technology--But this is a huge project just in itself--Not something to tackle as a side project (as I understand it).

Another device type to look at is the Linear Current Booster/Pump Drive device... It may allow you to put a known electrical load and do a kind of MPPT algorithm for the solar panels... They are still not cheap ($91 each)--but are less expensive and may allow you do to the simple resistive load with better MPPT type tracking.

Again, I have never had one in my hands/on a lab bench--but it may be another alternative as an electronic load.

-Bill

Ok. seems a little hard now that I see a schematic of a device. Don't you also have to program it too?