Sun PLUS wind

Options
I currently have 2 small Kyocera panels (2X43w= total 86w) in a 12v system using a Xantrex C35 controller and am about to add Wind power (300-500w) at 12v.

Q: Will I need to add, say a C40 as a DIVERSION LOAD controller to manage the dump load, separate from the existing C35 CHARGE controller?

And what other equipment would I require to allow these two systems to work together to charge my 12v batteries (diodes, etc)

Thanks folks!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Sun PLUS wind

That is correct, you need the second charge controller configured as a "dump" or "diversion" type controller... Plus you will need some sort of resistive load (typically) for the controller to divert the excess energy into.

Does the wind turbine come with a complete installation manual? Depending on the turbine, you will need other components--but usually nothing special (for example a switch to short the turbine output to "turn it off" if high wind is expected or you will be performing maintenance).

Typically the turbine uses an alternator with it own integrated diode array (to rectify the AC into DC current). So a second diode is generally not needed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks, BB

The turbine will be a 12v DYI Hugh Piggott build (6 ft probably) and I'd use 1 or 2 - 300w - 12v resistors as diversion load.
    I'll be installing a recifier - 85A likely.

My main concern is operating the two systems together.
    Might there be any interference between them during operation?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thunder wrote: »
    ..... I'd use 1 or 2 - 300w - 12v resistors as diversion load....

I've liked using car headlamps as 12V loads. Cheap, no cooling fans needed, and you can tell from a distance, if you are in diversion. Each high beam is about 50 watts.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And just a heads up - - unless you live in a perpetually very windy location, the odds are HUGE that you will only get any useful power from the wind turbine during wind storms. Been there, done that with small scale wind. Now I'm solar and pico hydro. Few and far between were the days when I got any useful charge at all from the small wind turbine, in spite of the salesman's pitch, while few and far between indeed, were the days when I didn't get at least some charge from solar.