Crown battery reviews anyone?

Well it's time to start looking into a new set of batteries.
I have a 6400 watt solar system coming.
32-200watt suntech panels.
2-xwmppt80-600's
1-xw6048

I have been talking with my battery guy. He has successfully talked me out of the Trojans. Apparently he's had numerous failures over the last couple years and refuses to sell them any longer. I know our host sells the crown forklift cells with rave reviews. If they are anything like my old C&d bank, I'm sold already.

1)Has anyone had any issues at all with the Crowns?
2)Any excessive water use issues?
3)Are watermisers worth it?
4)Recommendations on a battery monitor?

Comments

• Toddlingham
    Toddlingham Registered Users Posts: 7
    Re: Crown battery reviews anyone?

We've been using crown 12V 1875 AH and 12V 2000 AH batteries for five yr now and love them. They do all that is claimed and company pleasant to deal with. They spend time with you on the phone and make their engineers availlable to you.
  • 885kcdtq
    885kcdtq Solar Expert Posts: 27

I assume being forklift batteries, they do use more water than an "RE" battery.
    If they are similar to my C&D's, I go through about 1/2 gallon per month on a 510 Ahr/24 volt bank.
    My battery guy was going to order my bank without any intercell connectors and weld on a nice beefy set of L type top posts with 3/8" bolts. We are still checking with Crown on that one.
    Quick Q for ya Toddingham, What kind of application are you? Have you worked out the self-discharge rate on your banks?
    Mine are about 3-5% per month, but they are OLD!! Like 20+ years and they have had a very rough life before I rescued them.
  • topper
    topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hey 88. Are you by chance the guy in Weyburn with the windmill on your roof?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    885kcdtq wrote: »
    My battery guy was going to order my bank without any intercell connectors and weld on a nice beefy set of L type top posts with 3/8" bolts. We are still checking with Crown on that one.

That seems like a complete waste of time and money as the interconnects made are designed to carry enough amperage to completely discharge the battery within 8 hours, something I hope you don't intend on doing...

...which might shed some light on your 'battery guy'.

I did have flags installed instead of the usual leads with connector(the usual name for those L shaped top posts, but only because the sales person must have sold shoes in previous and couldn't understand my needs, GB Industrial Battery (or at least only batteries for fork lifts)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • 885kcdtq

There is a reason for having flags installed. It is virtually impossible to drive a forklift into my basement. I have to carry each individual cell into place.
  • 885kcdtq

Topper, yeas I am up on south hill.
  • overbore
    overbore Registered Users Posts: 6

I have 12 Crown 215's for our battery bank. All is great with us except for the creeking in my back from offloading them from my P/U then moving them to our basement. I will be 76 in two weeks--. Mine are connected with #1 copper cables, McMaster -Carr pre-tinned ( then soldered) terminals and all if great. Water top up once per month. i like the pure lead larger plates--; highly recommend.

Laus Deo
    overbore
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

I've had no failures with Trojan flooded cells back to 2006.

Sidebar, our new Trojan 16 REB's use very little water compared to the 2006 version. After almost two years, all 64 batteries are using less than 2-3 gallons every 5+ months compared to 8 gallons consumed every three months with the older model. Not sure why.

So far, they're performing above my expectations.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

"Apparently he's had numerous failures over the last couple years and refuses to sell them any longer."

Translation: he makes more profit off the Crown batteries.

Nothing wrong with Trojans, nothing wrong with Crowns.
    In fact Surrettes are the only batteries I've heard of actually being no good from the start, and they used to be top-notch. They still are top-price.
    Not too keen on Interstates either.

Just my opinion. You can ignore it; it isn't my money you're spending. :roll:
  • 885kcdtq

Everyone has an opinion. And that is what I am asking for. Thank-you for your input 'coot. All any of us can go on is other people's experiences.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    885kcdtq wrote: »
    Everyone has an opinion. And that is what I am asking for. Thank-you for your input 'coot. All any of us can go on is other people's experiences.

You can also use the results from standardised tests on the batteries. Most forklift batts comply with IEC 60 254 which means a cycle life of 1500 cycles and a DoD of 80%.
    The trojan semi traction line does about 800 cycles with DoD 80% - only their RE range of batteries is rated at 1500 cycles.
  • SolarJeremy
    SolarJeremy Registered Users Posts: 1

The crown line if 2 volt batteries are outstanding. With a cycle life of 7 year @ 50% DOD that is just the start of the good things. The higher amp batteries come with two sets of terminals for each battery allow you to use a duel cable configuration. This really helps both flow of electrons and keeps the head down even when outside temps excel 100 degrees.
    The batteries are assembled when ordered, this ensures a fresh battery. The cells is incased in plastic and then again in a steel case for protection. this steel case also helps with the dissipation of heat. Leaving 2 inches between batteries is recommended. We install a lot of these batteries in Mexico, Baja.... heat is always a problem. Not with CROWN 2 volts. they are used in very industrial environment draining at high amps and recharging quickly at even higher amps. The largest of solar system we have install, like the Sunny Island does not even come close to taxing theses batteries.

Yes, they are heavy. The 2550 @ 20ahr rating weights in at 312 lbs per cell. Because the 2volt is in a steel case, with handles, with a little care 2 or 4 people can move it, if you put a steel pole through the handles and lift. A 4 ft steel schedule 40 2 inch pipe works well. Just take your time, move a little at a time.... it really worth the effort. If you size them correctly.... it may be 15 years before you have to replace them..... solarjeremy
  • mtaylor
    mtaylor Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    885kcdtq said:

I assume being forklift batteries, they do use more water than an "RE" battery.
    If they are similar to my C&D's, I go through about 1/2 gallon per month on a 510 Ahr/24 volt bank.
    Quick Q for ya Toddingham, What kind of application are you? Have you worked out the self-discharge rate on your banks?
    Mine are about 3-5% per month, but they are OLD!! Like 20+ years and they have had a very rough life before I rescued them.
     i got 2, 6 volt agm deep cycle crown batteries. when i charge them with a noco genious 10 or another charger the volts go beyond bulk levels of 14 something. i get 15-16 volts. can someone tell me if i need a different charger or if there is something wrong with batteries.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must configure the charger properly, for your AGM batteries.  Read the specific paperwork or data on the battery case.
      Overcharging them can/will quickly ruin them
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,