Distilled water

2»

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Distilled water

not according to what i was reading on it and i knew i should've referenced to it as i can't find it now. some things that got increased are not good for you like cadmium and lead and it does contain fluoride and chlorine and once in awhile coliform bacteria. it gave a breakdown of all that the water contains and now i can't find that site.:grr the bottom line here is that it did pick up plenty of minerals and is occasionally showing traces of the pollutants from above. it would've been a high ppm value for sure.
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Since my family has owned the property (nearly 25 yrs), we've had our local county extension agent test the water quality every 10 years. The only abundant item was rust, so a couple years ago replaced all the original pipe, and upgraded to a larger pump. I haven't had new samples taken yet, but the cistern hasn't shown any sediment from the drain. It's still a neutral 7.0 pH.

We haven't noticed any ill effects in the livestock, our stock tank hasn't had any die-off of the fish population. I'll trust my supply to yours any day.
  • niel

do you have a tds meter? if so, i'd be interested in hearing what it says for you. i would also imagine there will be some variances due to where on the acquifer you are and the depth you tapped it at will influence as well. my guess would be a high ppm content.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »

We haven't noticed any ill effects in the livestock, our stock tank hasn't had any die-off of the fish population. I'll trust my supply to yours any day.

We're talking two different things here. What Niel needs, is steam distilled water, or equivalent for his medically necessary CPAP machine. These machines will not tolerate any mineral or sediment content. Good, safe drinking water is a whole different thing. In fact, most of the minerals our bodies need, come from our drinking water, thus drinking distilled water is not a good idea. Generally, the further water travels through earth and rock, although it will be well filtered of bacteria, viruses etc, the more it dissolves and picks up minerals as it passes through that earth and rock. That's not a bad or dangerous thing unless it perhaps picks up arsenic. As mentioned, our bodies need minerals, but like all good things, there are of course, upper safe limits.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    I looked it up yesterday--My guess:

Edwards Aquifer

-Bill

Well, that's just well water, full of all sorts of dissolved stuff. Don't get that near my batteries !
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL...I am on the Edwards Aquifer myself. Great water for sure. Distilled? Heck no.....:roll:
  • niel
    LOL...I am on the Edwards Aquifer myself. Great water for sure. Distilled? Heck no.....:roll:

i guess it does pay to pay attention to thread titles, but we all wander off topic sometimes.:p
  • bmet

I guess you missed my statement about local county extension agents being involved in our water quality.
    niel wrote: »
    do you have a tds meter? if so, i'd be interested in hearing what it says for you. i would also imagine there will be some variances due to where on the acquifer you are and the depth you tapped it at will influence as well. my guess would be a high ppm content.
  • niel
    bmet wrote: »
    I guess you missed my statement about local county extension agents being involved in our water quality.

i'm sorry, but i still haven't seen a ppm reading of total dissolved solids. did he say it to you every visit? you are still confusing pure water with potable water from a well. pure water has nothing else in it, period, and that's what i need.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    you are still confusing pure water with potable water from a well. pure water has nothing else in it, period, and that's what i need.

I've also told him the same thing using different words. Seems to be taking it as a condemnation of his well water as unsafe to drink. Maybe he's just not capable of grasping the concept of the difference. After a while ya gotta wonder.
  • bmet

Did anyone ever read that I promoted well water over distilled? I just expressed my appreciation of my water source, you all made up the rest.

But while we are talking about water for your batteries, go ahead and put polluted rain water in them. Who knows what is in it, other than solutions strong enough to ruin your car's paint, and kill the fish in your aquarium.

Rainwater ain't what it used to be. TDS? You should be concerned about Total Air Pollutants, probably an order of magnitude greater than anything from my well.
  • niel

bmet,
    this thread was about distilled water for special uses and not about your well drinking water. i don't care how nice your water is and we didn't bring that up, you did.
    from post #26-
    " So glad I have a deep Edward's well. "
    i normally don't mind talking about drinking water, but remember what my goal and this thread was about and that was to use pure water for use in my cpap machine to humidify the air i breath. contaminants in that machine would destroy it and has nothing to do with what you like to drink or if you are condemning rain water for batteries. just for the record, many also need pure water for their fla batteries and your well water would not fit that application either. as it is the subject of your aquifer and rainwater has no business in this thread unless you care to state its viability for my cpap machine.

as it is you can now talk of your well water in a thread of your own if you would like to as i will not tolerate you now hijacking this one by implying your well water is a good thing to plug into a thread on distilled or pure water and any further references made to well water (aquifers too) here without proper relevance will be deleted by me. this was not very nice to twist the thread in this manner on your part, but i'll refrain as i know you don't know the difference between your aquifer well and distilled water. my advice is for you to go learn, but even if you don't want to, please respect the thread subject and me. it is my thread after all and not because i'm a moderator, but because i pursued the subject matter in a thread of its own.