Anyone have any experience with UL Solar panels?

JT2222
JT2222 Registered Users Posts: 13
These are selling on EBAY for $1989/ 750 watts. I know they are Chinese made & probably not worth a darn. Any comments?

Comments

• AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    Re: Anyone have any experience with UL Solar panels?

Do the math, $1989/750W = $2.65/W. You can get Evergreen made blemished panels for $1.82/W without UL certification. Or thin-film panels for $1.20/W.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is about the same company;

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=8576
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • sunbrighter
    sunbrighter Registered Users Posts: 10

Where can you get evergreen blemished panels at this price?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where can you get evergreen blemished panels at this price?

sunelec.com in Fl often has them, but has had complaints about mis-labled product.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Sunbrighter has knowledge of sunelec and is not very happy with them.

I have asked him not to go into detail at this moment.

-Bill B. Moderator
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭

I was able to get evergreen "A" panels for $1.67 a watt shipped to my door. Arrived in 6 days after ordering. No damage all packaged well.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

I have a roof full of the Evergreen Blems ( 70 panels ), they have performed flawlessly and the current pricing for A grade UL Evergreens is, well look for yourself, but lower than anything mentioned here.

The Bilingual Español speaking company about 240 miles south of me are honest folks, I would pick them over any Flebay or non-UL China knock-offs any day.
  • Photowhit

I too, have Evergreen Blems on my roof (OK ground mounted), given Evergreens current difficulties as a company (floundering) it might not be the best choice if at some point you need warranty repairs.

As to the Miami Company after my first purchase I've found them more and more difficult to comunicate with, and have made subsiquent smaller purchases else where.

Also It would be good to note they are basiclly a wholesale sales and offer NO support, It would be best to know what your buying before you purchase, A first time purchase through a company like Northern Arizona Wind and Sun (NAWS our sponser!) who has very well informed staff who can help matching componets and usage would be well advised.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solaris3000
    solaris3000 Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭

How are those panels from UL-SOLAR working out for you..
  • Photowhit
    How are those panels from UL-SOLAR working out for you..

I don't think anyone ever bought any, just asking about them.
  • troybrownrigg
    troybrownrigg Registered Users Posts: 18

I got 16 ea 40 watt panels,so far so good. I use those cheap $10.00 charge controlls capable of 10 amps each with 4 40 watt panels each. The panel says the output max amps is 2.57. I duplicated that four times to charge the 840 amp hour 12v battery bank. If also got a windy nation 750 wind turbine charging the system.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    I got 16 ea 40 watt panels,so far so good. I use those cheap $10.00 charge controlls capable of 10 amps each with 4 40 watt panels each. The panel says the output max amps is 2.57. I duplicated that four times to charge the 840 amp hour 12v battery bank. If also got a windy nation 750 wind turbine charging the system.

Good start, but way under what that much battery would like to see for a charge.
    Minimum 5% charge current would be 42 Amps. Your set-up probably sees 34 Amps max (based on total Wattage @ typical derating / 14.4 Volts charging). Ah, we always need more panels! :p

Personally I'm not keen on 12 Volt battery banks much larger than 400-500 Amp hours, but that's just me. :roll:
  • The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet that wind turbine may help him achieve optimum charging status :)
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi guys, i have a huge experience with UL Solar and can tell you for sure their solar panels are good. I have Evergreen solar panels on my camper and i bought them with pretty good price, but after a year i lost 50% of my output. So i found this company UL Solar on internet and bought 2 125 watt solar panel they have. Its been almost 7 months since i am using UL Solar panels and i am really happy with them. buy the way they are made in Taiwan not in China. Everything they sell comes with free delivery. So far i am happy !
  • BB.

Sorry to hear about Evergreen with 50% output drop... Did you try a warranty claim (not sure what is happening with Evergreen warranty service right now).

They still seem to supply a warranty form through there FAQ page:

http://evergreensolar.com/en/technical-support/frequently-asked-questions/

Overall, Evergreen were/ are supposed to be pretty good panels (with lots of happy users).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

Everyone,

We try to control spam to the best of our ability... When opinions are posted, there is not much we want to do with them either way, as moderators.

retroarm seems to be fine as "we" (Marc/Cariboocoot and myself) have taken a quick look and everything seems to be OK from our side.

It is an opinion of one, and we have not heard back if he has tried the Evergreen warranty claim or not.

-Bill