Trace Xantrex SW4024 AC board installation

I wound up with a SW4024 that was missing the AC circuit board. Recently purchased the AC board to repair it. There are six terminals on the board (four on the DC side of the plate and two on the AC side) and six loose wires in the inverter. I can't seem to locate any info online schematics to confirm the connections. Two stranded wires near the top of the unit, two solid copper wires near the center, larger black and white stranded wires near the bottom. These look like they connect to the terminals on the front-AC side- of the board. Can anyone confirm where these wires connect?

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Trace Xantrex SW4024 AC board installation

Post a digital photo. I cannot relate to what you describe as AC board.

Is this a SWplus unit?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Not a SWplus unit. Here is a pic of the AC board.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tnt2301 wrote: »
    Not a SWplus unit. Here is a pic of the AC board.

A 30 dpi photo does not do much :cry:
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• RCinFLA

Great picture. Even with a lot of imagination it doesn't look like AC board.

It might be a later model redesign that used a lot of the same parts used in the SWplus inverter.

The three yellow blobs look like voltage sense transformers. The two grey blobs at top on other side of board look like the two power relays.

Anyway, here is schematic of AC board on SW inverter. If you get the two thick wires from the power transformers backwards it will drive the inverter to phase lock limit with ACin and will quckly kick off with overcurrent alarm when it tries to engage.
  • System2

The thick wires from the power transformers were the only ones I had figured out where to connect. The two pairs of stranded wires coming from the FET assembly (1 white and 1 blue in each pair) and the pair of white solid copper wires are what I need help with.
  • RCinFLA

Don't know of wires to FET board. Large diameter white and blue wires are high current low voltage lines on FET board. Are you sure they have not come loose from one of the transformers primary side bundles?

On AC power board, there are two large black wires that go to 35 amp circuit breaker on side of unit and four small wires, grey, orange, orange, grey that go to the two 4" muffin fans. Large white and black wires to screw terminal strip go to transformer secondary stack and ribbon cable to top control board. That's it.
  • System2

Thanks. The connections to the breaker are intact. The connections to the fans are intact. The two pairs of blue and white wires do not appear to have come loose from the ring terminals on the blue and white bundles. And when I look at pics of FET assemblies for that unit, there are two individual blue and two individual white stranded wires that have a sleeve crimped on the stripped ends. There is also a screw terminal connector (4 wire) on the inside of the AC assembly chassis plate.
  • 65DegN
    65DegN Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭

tnt2301
    you are in luck I am working on a SW4024 on my bench right now.

Wiring of terminal block;
    Note, the view is from the inverter sitting on then bench long ways, from the DC input terminals being closest to the viewer and the AC connections being at the opposite end.

-Top left ( transformer side of block ) two wires in this terminal, a yellow wire coming from the far side of the transformer that is the closest to the terminal block.
    Also a blue wire coming from the FET board just below the terminal block.
    It is sitting in a row with a red and white wire on the FET board.

-Bottom left, two wires in this terminal, a yellow one comes from the same transformer as the previous connection does but comes from the side of the transformer closest to the block.
    The other wire, a white one, comes from the power FET board just below the terminal block. It sits between a blue and a red wire on the FET board.

-Top right, a single wire in this terminal. A blue wire coming from the right side of the FET board.

-Bottom right, a single wire in this terminal. It is white and comes from the right side of the FET board.

Hope this helps. I came here looking for a schematic for the transfer relay circuit and found that here also. Great forum. Thanks.
  • Pegasus
    Pegasus Registered Users Posts: 1
    This will be a blast from the past and that schematic may just save me. A neighbor gave me an SW4024 that has been sitting in his power house for years. He said it took voltage on the ground and has had an error ever since. I opened it up... cleaned out the rats nest and found that C1 and C2 were blown off the board. I am hoping that replacing them will fix it. I get different errors when I start it up but the one consistent is AC source wired to output. Anyone else have an issue like this or know if the repair is likely to clear that error? 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    I cannot help you... But here are some folks the may repair/help you with questions:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/241766/#Comment_241766

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset