What is the best racking for corrugated metal roof ??

Batikikik
Batikikik Solar Expert Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: What is the best racking for corrugated metal roof ??
    Batikikik wrote: »

thanks

Ground or pole mount. Most corrugated metal roof is very lightweight, and very thin frame work under it.

If it's really beefy structure underneath, drill thru the peaks, and bolt to the members underneath the metal. then apply lots of sealant.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Jburgess
    Jburgess Solar Expert Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

Mine is attached like this, if this is kind of roof you mean.

Roofmounting.jpg
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

if you want to make your own easternmetalsupply.com has all kinds of aluminum bar/rod/extrusions.
  • Tumbleweeds
    Tumbleweeds Registered Users Posts: 6

You might want to check with a PROFESSIONAL roofer before drilling/ mounting through the peaks, flexing from wind loads guarantees leaks, loose connections, failing mounts. I might be new at solar stuff, but I've got 50 years experience in metal roofs of all kinds.
  • Batikikik

Attached some photos
  • Jburgess

Here’s some photos to match the drawing I posted.

Standoff without boot
    0427111848a.jpg

Standoff with boot
    0427111847.jpg

Nut on underside.
    0427111856a.jpg

Hope this helps.
  • Batikikik

Looks like you have to drill steel joist and attach with bolts under. Do you have more pictures which show layout . This prosolar`s racking cost 12c per watt right ? We have 3 deg slope and we have to raise to get 15 degree. I dont know if this is the but solution or not.

Thank you
  • Jburgess

Yes the holes were drilled to attach to the web of the purlins. Don’t really know the cost of the prosolar racking, My roof was at 18 degrees so the panels are flat with the roof.

The panels made the building noticeably cooler in the summer from the shade.

There is also a dozen pages of engineering calcs. as most steel buildings are minimally engineered. Fortunately mine had 12 inches more of snow load that required, so no additional bracing was required for the addition of the solar panels.

Is this what you were looking for as a picture of layout?
    PICT0582-1.jpg
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Jburgess,

Looks good. I'm planning on installing an array on my pole barn with the same type of metal roof, but I have rafters. What type of racking did you use with your Projacks? Thanks.

Eric
  • Jburgess

The racking is prosolar only because I was trying to match the exsisting racking when I expanded my system.

Old panels are dirty, new are clean.

0502111643a.jpg
  • Batikikik

I think there should be better options now ? Is there any another solution except prosolar? Because this project is 645kW And its gonna be 2800 drilled Holes which I dont like it :))))))))))))))
  • Batikikik

And is it possible to give tilt to array ?
    Thank you
  • Peak Solar
    Peak Solar Registered Users Posts: 13

http://www.s-5.com/clamps/index_2626.cfm

Don't worry about the tilt on a job that size. The slight increase in energy production will not outway the increased racking costs associated with tilting the modules.
  • Batikikik

Peak Solar
    I have a pitched roof , which has 4 Deg Slope (12/0.5). I have attached photo.
    Slopes facing north and south. I am looking for the best racking to have 12 degree facing south for both sides .

thank you
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Not trying to Butt in, but can't you just use different length standoff's ?? I had a 12/5 pitch and used 3" on the front rail and 6" on the rear and the cost was less then $2.00 per standoff. I thought about them catching wind, but they are low enough below the ridge, it doesn't seem to be a problem.
  • Batikikik

I dont know exactly. Even I dont know if it is a good idea to have a tilt on corrugated metal roof . I have never done large installation like this on corrugated metal. Project size is 625 kW .

Thank you
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

how would the roof know that 2 of the posts are 6 inches and 2 are 3 inches? it doesn't and there will be better cooling of the pvs with that 6 inches on 2 posts.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

How are you modeling / calculating the inter row spacing to prevent module shading due to the proposed angle lift?

In a project this size, I would not add tilt, I would add modules as for the same sf, all being flat will bring in more harvest than spaced out with less panels on tilt
  • Jburgess

Here's a random picture on the web of tilt racking on a metal building:

DBKSolarPV013.jpg
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Batikikik wrote: »
    Slopes facing north and south. I am looking for the best racking to have 12 degree facing south for both sides .

thank you

You better get an engineer on the project to consider windload, from the north. Those panels will grab the wind and carry the building away !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Batikikik

mike90045 . Engineering is done already. And it is not gonna take the roof out.

Solar Guppy I agree with you to optimize rood and maximize solar output its better to have modules flush with roof than have inter row spacing.

But this building`s roof has only 4 Deg slope. Inter row spacing will not be that much .And tilt angle will be 12 Deg facing south .