I take ownership today!

solar_dave
solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
OK so I broke down to the wife's insistence that her next car be super green. We take ownership of a Chevy Volt today from a dealer in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. I was going to travel to get the car this weekend but as life would have it I broke my leg last weekend and need to get surgery to fix it. Don't ask, Harley's are heavy and don't mix well with bones. :blush:

I am looking for any auto transport company recommends from this group of super smart members here. :p

Review of our early year solar usage reveals that with all the conservation upgrades we have done we should be able to fully operate the Volt on solar. Me likes drive for free!

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: I take ownership today!

I wish you good luck, but I hope this not catching.

http://nation.foxnews.com/chevy-volt/2011/04/18/two-chevy-volts-catch-fire-one-week

I created something that I only used the prototype in the winter. We'll I started on the manufacturing and got the molds finished and the patent applied for and was ready to sell it in the spring. The only thing I didn't figure was in the summer there bugs. Every time some used it would fill up with bugs. I finally worked out the modifications to make it sellable, but there can be some surprises.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The headline is a wrong... It appears to be the same Chevy Volt that caught fire again after it was involved in a garage fire (I have seen other articles).

At this point, I would not assume that the Volt was the cause of the first fire... This article also states that:
    Mr Connors's two hybrid cars, the nearly-new Volt and an older Suzuki which he had converted himself, were recharging overnight on Thursday when a fire ripped through his garage, leaving just the beams standing. ...
    Firefighters said last week they believed one of the cars - which were both left as burnt- out shells - could have triggered the blaze.

It is going to take a lot of failure analysis to figure out what caused the first fire (if they ever can)... The second fire--Leaving batteries connected in a burned out hulk--Kind of expected that a fire could start from that.

Should/were all the batteries disconnected after the fire? Where the "cooked" batteries in the volt the cause of the 2nd fire themselves--possibly.

Home made conversions are not unknown for starting fires themselves.

So learn from this one:
    A three-alarm fire that damaged a San Carlos warehouse containing memorabilia belonging to rocker Neil Young started in a vintage car that he had converted into a hybrid vehicle, authorities said today.

An investigation determined that the fire started in a 1959 Lincoln Continental and spread to the warehouse. Young had outfitted the car with electric batteries and a biodiesel-powered generator as part of his company called LincVolt.
    "We are still investigating the exact cause, although it appears to be an operator error that occurred in an untested part of the charging system," Young said. "We do know that the car has been operating perfectly for almost 2,000 miles and the system in question would not be in use while driving the car. We are investigating the components involved with plug-in charging."

Looks like they are working hard at getting it going again.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Let me check the lottery numbers ... ah, nope. Back to the van. :cry: ($104 to fill up Tuesday - gasoline is now $5.50 per gallon in US terms here).
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

In no way am I putting EV's down. I'd like a VOLT if it'd haul more, I have a Toyota Sequoia and it's breaking the bank.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

This probably won't help you, but in answer to your question there is a car hauler that I've known for 35 years http://www.barnesautotransportation.com/

I know him because I used to be an owner-operator moving cars cross-country too. You won't find any better than Jeff.

Why it may not help you: we're having lunch today in northern California as he's passing through. We still get to visit a few times a year. But since he's here now, getting your car moved in the midwest in a timely manner isn't likely to happen.

But he MAY be able to refer you to someone he knows.

Heck, sometimes I wish I was back doing that and NOT sitting in an office every day but each time he visits I'm convinced again that I do not want to go back on the road.

Phil
  • solar_dave
    PhilS wrote: »
    This probably won't help you, but in answer to your question there is a car hauler that I've known for 35 years http://www.barnesautotransportation.com/

I know him because I used to be an owner-operator moving cars cross-country too. You won't find any better than Jeff.

Why it may not help you: we're having lunch today in northern California as he's passing through. We still get to visit a few times a year. But since he's here now, getting your car moved in the midwest in a timely manner isn't likely to happen.

But he MAY be able to refer you to someone he knows.

Heck, sometimes I wish I was back doing that and NOT sitting in an office every day but each time he visits I'm convinced again that I do not want to go back on the road.

Phil

Thanks Phil for the recommended transporter, I have sent him e-mail and if he can't do it maybe he can recommend someone. Word of mouth is the best kind of flattery.

Just talked to the surgeon, plate and screws on the leg break on Tuesday.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Geez Dave, ask for general anesthetic...you will have started to knit together by Tuesday, might require a little torque/snap to get you lined up properly.:grr

I know someone will ask...hows the bike?:cry:

Ralph
  • solar_dave
    In no way am I putting EV's down. I'd like a VOLT if it'd haul more, I have a Toyota Sequoia and it's breaking the bank.

It is the perfect car for the wife, short runs, groceries and grand kids and mother hauling. Make perfect sense with gas approaching $4 here and her current car interior items dying from the sun destruction of the plastics.

I have been promising her she could choose what she wanted, "Happy Wife, Happy Life", but it is for sure more money than I wanted to spend, but with $7500 Obama money it eases the pain a bit.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    ...... for sure more money than I wanted to spend, but with $7500 Obama money it eases the pain a bit.

Hey ! Where do you think Obama got that money from ? (hint, I just paid my taxes) 8)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Hint, if you paid 2x on your taxes, it still would not cover the kick-back. :cry:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BilljustBill
    BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    ...... Me likes drive for free!

Sorry to hear of you leg injury; it can happen with two-wheeled or four-hoofed hogs in seconds.... Do like the Doc says and don't get off your crutches too soon......you other leg and knee joint is going to get sore doing the work of two...

I think we're going to need a car that lets you pull out a gas engine and put back an electric motor...kinda like slapping a fresh battery pack on your DeWalt....

I saw on the nightly news that the folks in Washington DC NOW want to tax "Electric Autos"....

Their point of view is that since most states' gasoline prices have tax for maintenance and highway improvements, that "Electrics" use those roads but don't pay.....

How's that saying start out?? "If it moves tax it............"
    Bill
  • Peter_V
    Peter_V Solar Expert Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    I saw on the nightly news that the folks in Washington DC NOW want to tax "Electric Autos"....

Some states already do this. Oregon for example has had an EV and Hybrid tax for years.
  • solar_dave
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    Geez Dave, ask for general anesthetic...you will have started to knit together by Tuesday, might require a little torque/snap to get you lined up properly.:grr

I know someone will ask...hows the bike?:cry:

Ralph

For sure out patient and knock me out, Bike is way OK, couple of scuffs, much better than me! LOL
  • solar_dave
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Hey ! Where do you think Obama got that money from ? (hint, I just paid my taxes) 8)

Being a credit it is just my money back! hehe
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure out patient and knock me out, Bike is way OK, couple of scuffs, much better than me! LOL

Glad to hear it, that's one for HD's, I had a front tire blow out on I75 back Memorial Day, 1986. I walked away mostly, I came back and slide the Honda 750F w/ full Pacifico fairing, in the side door of my VW van(motor in back, think tiny box), and shut the door, haven't ridden much since. Figured I'd gotten off very lucky.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solar_dave
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Glad to hear it, that's one for HD's, I had a front tire blow out on I75 back Memorial Day, 1986. I walked away mostly, I came back and slide the Honda 750F w/ full Pacifico fairing, in the side door of my VW van(motor in back, think tiny box), and shut the door, haven't ridden much since. Figured I'd gotten off very lucky.

My first real motorcycle was a CB750 in 1971, first time I ever got hurt. 40 years is a pretty good record, and the root cause was my arthritic knee unable to hold the thing up, it just folded. I blame being old!

I had a 18 wheeler do a left in front of me at dawn with the sun at my back, it was so close I could have touch the trailer, I parked it for a couple years after that. Can't really blame him he just didn't see me I am sure and my defensive driving kicked in early enough.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about accident. Speedy Recovery and get back to Riding!! Life is short:D
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Very happy for you, I've been following (and wanting) a Volt since it was announced, I'm pretty low on the "want list" on gm-volt.com, not that it meant anything in the end since GM ignored it. The plan was for me to get one in a year or two after we pay off my wife's Prius, but a recent trip to Florida with our camper proved to me that my tow vehicle is underpowered so that will likely be the next thing that is replaced. Since my current car is having issues I'll probably have to drive the new tow vehicle around for a few years before I get my Volt.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is