Raised ground mount

arkieoscar
arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
Because of shade and roof type (old wood shake), I have to mount a 4000 watt array about 50 ft. from the house. Because of horses, I need to raise the whole thing up in the air. I'm thinking of building a pole structure and using a roof mount system on it. Anyone done this? I'm aware of the loads that it needs to handle and have that part figured out but I am worried that I'm missing something. I am planning on about 8 ft. clearance on the low side. They (the horses) should appreciate the shade. Any recommendations on a mounting system?

Comments

• Fatawan
    Fatawan Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    Re: Raised ground mount

I think this could work

http://www.dpwsolar.com/content/Support.aspx

Go there PowerFab Mounting Hardware>>Ground Mount Solutions>>>Large Ground Mount

It appears that you buy the Sch. 40 pipe locally and they supply the rest.
  • arkieoscar

Thanks Fatawan,
    I'll check out prices on Monday.
  • Fatawan

For those more experienced, in the pictures on the PDF from the page I linked, they appear to have 24 panels on mounts using only 6 concrete piers. Does that seem right? Are those normal sized panels(200-250W range)? If so, it seems like a great method to get lots of panels in a narrow space with the least amount of concrete work.
  • Fatawan
    arkieoscar wrote: »
    Thanks Fatawan,
    I'll check out prices on Monday.

I looked further at that site--you might want to look under "Multi-Pole Mounts" under ground mount solutions. That specifies "capable of significant ground clearance, and there are only vertical poles that the horses would have to deal with(horse doctor here--the less they can break their legs on, the better!). It sounds like they are adjustable angle as well.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Here's some pictures of a few installs that might give you some ideas.

http://www.ratechsolar.com/index.php?left=mainleft&right=ground

Fences? It looks kinda like they have a chicken pen around that Los Gatos – 6.3 KW array..
  • arkieoscar

Thanks Xringer. I'm calling some suppliers today. I've used the unirack before but there may be some good alternatives out there. I don't want to fence anything. More protection and output raising it and it can be mowed without worrying about flying rocks, etc.
  • XRinger

I used SuperStrut channel on my little 500w tracker mount..

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/strut-channel/conduit-mounting/electrical/ecatalog/N-8aiZ1z0qlms

channel.jpg

I used the smaller stuff. The next size up (at Lowes) was too heavy for me.
    bolted4.jpg
    And, of course it flexed too much, so I had to use 4, instead of 2 big rails..
  • arkieoscar

The super strut looks like it would work. I was thinking of spanning 8 ft. but maybe it would be best to frame it into 5 ft. sections so the channels would end on a joist.
  • XRinger

I needed 13 feet for my Ground Mount, so I used some 2x4s..
    It was too heavy for me, so I used a little block-n-tackle to lift it up.. :cool:
    solararrayhoist.jpg

800w on the platform and 500w on the tracker.

solarfarm2.jpg

Someday, these things will be on the roofs.. :roll:
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

> Someday, these things will be on the roofs

The entire mount, or just the panels ??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• arkieoscar

I'm waiting for prices on a couple of roof mount systems but it looks like it will be around $2K with shipping. When I get prices, I'll shop locally but added labor may make it just as expensive. At least the money for that will go in to the local economy.
  • Fatawan
    arkieoscar wrote: »
    I'm waiting for prices on a couple of roof mount systems but it looks like it will be around $2K with shipping. When I get prices, I'll shop locally but added labor may make it just as expensive. At least the money for that will go in to the local economy.

That price is for which one? For how large a system?
  • arkieoscar

I got a quote from our host that included Kyocera panels and a roof mounting system that will work for me. I'm going to use that quote in my proposal. The Kyoceras have a cross brace that will ease my worry about any warping in the framing.