Experience with: Outback Power GVFX3648 Grid Interactive Inverter ?

Options
BilljustBill
BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
As I plan for a 2.2KW PV system, with the good possibility of a 500w DC win/gen, I'm trying to foresee the Pro's and Con's of the possibility of an Off Grid system being able to use the Grid in the future.

http://www.usbattery.com/usb_usl16hcxc.html

I have eight U. S. Battery L-16 HxCx, batteries in the 48 volt bank, so if the future of the local Co-Op proves itself in becoming a trustworthy host, the future could hold a grid tie possibility, and I would have the best of both worlds...

Any experience or insight to using this Outback GVFX 3648 inverter for battery only for now?

I appreciate you comments,

Bill
Bill

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Experience with: Outback Power GVFX3648 Grid Interactive Inverter ?

GVFX has a tight requirement on AC input frequency which many generators cannot meet.

An inverter-generator like Honda or Yamaha's will drive a GVFX.

For offgrid, usually you want regular VFX model.
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options

From my experience with Outback (not much) and Xantrex (quite a lot), I would use the Xantrex XW if I thought I might grid tie in the future. It gives you more options and includes some features that Outback doesn't have.
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options

If you get the off grid Outback, (As mentioned GT do not like most generators) and do decide to go GT, You can send the inverter to OB to be converted and Certified as a GT :D

Have a good one
    Tim
  • BilljustBill
    BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Options
    As I plan for a 2.2KW PV system, with the good possibility of a 500w DC win/gen, I'm trying to foresee the Pro's and Con's of the possibility of an Off Grid system being able to use the Grid in the future.

http://www.usbattery.com/usb_usl16hcxc.html

I have eight U. S. Battery L-16 HxCx, batteries in the 48 volt bank, so if the future of the local Co-Op proves itself in becoming a trustworthy host, the future could hold a grid tie possibility, and I would have the best of both worlds...

Any experience or insight to using this Outback GVFX 3648 inverter for battery only for now?

I appreciate you comments,

Bill

Thanks for the insight. I had the chance to buy this model for $1,9050.00, dropped shipped from Outback, so I did. It will have the Flexmat 80 amp controller and Mate module to support it with the 48v bank of U.S. Batteries being the storage for now.

If there are any other comments about this dual option model, I'd like to hear more.
    Bill
  • HuckMeat
    HuckMeat Registered Users Posts: 24
    Options

I just installed two of them, so far they just do exactly what they are supposed to...