BP 585U Junction Box

firefly
firefly Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭
I,am back, after making a move to a new location after 30 years and not even thinking about solar, I am back at the cottage trying to hook-up four of the above panels in series. It seems each junction box is different, what I would like to know, what is the purpose of the three horse shoe type connectors,(not all boxes have three, one box has one) it looks like they are connecting both the negative/positive side. There also are two diodes in this box. Help would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for bad Pic

Cheers
Steven m

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: BP 585U Junction Box

Steven,

If memory serves, the "horseshoe" connectors allow you to wire the panels in either 6 vdc or 12 vdc configuration. I have a number of these panels but I won't be able to get to them for ~three weeks to confirm which wiring is which. I believe,, but don't take this to the bank, the two outside lugs will wire for 12 vdc the inside two will wire for 6. the horseshoe connector then just becomes a series wire. (I'll look to see if I can find a wiring spec to post.

Good luck,

Tony
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I did a bunch of searching and can't find a diagram for those. NAWS does have a PDF in their archives but it is not available. You might send WindSun a note and perhaps he could steer you in the right direction.

If not,, I will look at the diagram on my in after mid month and drop you a note,

Good luck,,

Tony
  • firefly
    firefly Solar Expert Posts: 66 ✭✭

Thanks Tony, the help is appreciated.

Cheers Steve