They Look Like DEKA's !

claychps
claychps Registered Users Posts: 9
Hi all,
I'm afraid of the answer but I will ask it anyway. I was given (4) 8D "solar" batteries with a March 09 Date code. They look like DEKA but the label is missing. Grey container with black lid and "do not remove" caps. I don't know the history but my concern is they are sunk in around the vent caps. Almost like an internal vacuum. Am I wasting my time with these? Any tests I can do other than the timed 1amp load until 10.5v SOC?

Thanks,
Robert

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Re: They Look Like DEKA's !

Charge them up and do a load/time test. But NOT to 10.5 volts. They will be toast if you go that low. Run them down to 12.0 volts. This is about 50% SOC.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's their standing voltage before you do anything? If you are measuring 7 or 9 volts, they've sulphated, and now you get the expense of carting them to Toxic Waste.

Charge and try.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• claychps
    claychps Registered Users Posts: 9

Thank you for the answers. I'll only load test them to 12.0v as n3qik suggested. I did use the cheapo load tester we have at work, the kind that puts a couple hundred amp load for tens seconds. None of them read bad. The standing voltage was 12.8v on all of them. I'll charge them up and hopefully I'll get lucky.

Robert