forklift battery 12-85-13 for off grid

myhouse07
myhouse07 Registered Users Posts: 17
No more sam club batteries for me! your right bad idea.

What about used 12-85-13 forklift batteries 510 AH@ 6hr test or 700AH @ 20hr.
I would have to use two 24V batterys to make a 48V bank. They come with a 1 year warranty 85% capacity. There only 1000 bucks each. I can allso buy one new 24-85-13 48V battery GB Industrial battery for 4100 bucks. I am thinking of go with the used ones because everyone say I will be hard on my first set of batteries?

The forklift batterie guys are telling me that the used batteries will last a easy 5 years on a off grid setup?

So dose anyone use them on here? Is it a bad Idea?

The guy at GB sayed they only last 2000 gas cycles and it dose not matter if it 80% 0r 20% doc he sayed a gas cycle is a gas cycle is there a truth to this ?

Thank for any help:D

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: forklift battery 12-85-13 for off grid

Forklift batteries are very rugged. They do have a higher leakage rate then other deep cycle batteries.
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭

I installed 2 sets of Exide Load Hogs, the first 12 yrs. ago and the second 10 yrs. ago. Both are doing fine. Neither has been abused but cycled about 20% several times a week. Both owners love their batteries and would buy them again.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what he's refering to as a "gas cycle".

From what I've read they have a bit more self discharge 1-2% a week?(month?) and they need to be equalized every month.

I beleive someone who frequents this forum has a 20 year old one and reports of 30+ year old on another forum (and survival web site here touted a 30+ year old forklift battery; http://www.survivalunlimited.com/batteries/batteryblunders.htm ) i couldn't find it at their web site, it's pretty homemade with menus not up dated so perhaps you can find info about them, or Email directly or call about their experiences)

Edit - found a direct link about half way down under Battery Tales; http://www.survivalunlimited.com/eagle1000windturbine.htm

For 4100 for new vs 2000 for rebuilt... I'd have to go new, I think 24 volt 635 ah was in the $2800-3100 price range for new, so it sounds like a pretty good deal as well!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

The cycle is counted as a complete discharge-charge cycle. So if you discharge down to 50%, you'd need to do it twice to get 1 cycle.

The battery life is dramatically affected by how deeply you discharge it. See the Battery FAQ section here: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Cycles vs Life

There are 2 accessory items for forklift batts that could be worth investigating:
    - Airlift systems. These are called by various names, basically it's a small air pump that pumps air into the bottom of each cell during the charge cycle. According to most manufacturers this can lead to a 10% improvement in charging efficiency and a reduced battery temperature (= longer life). Additionally, it negates the need to do equalisation as often because it mixes up the electrolyte during every charge cycle. Example: http://www.hoppecke.com/products/applications/industrial_trucks/trak_r_air

- Central filling systems. This is basically a system of tubes attached to the cells that lets you fill them from a central point, so that you don't have to add electrolyte to 24 individual cells.

I'd go with the new cells too. Unless you know the complete history of how the used batts were used, discharged and charged it'll be a gamble - and the difference in price isn't worth it.
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    So dose anyone use them on here?
    I have a set of 6-100-13 Deka fork lift batteries (24 volt system 940 amp hour) that I use for my emergency backup system. They work flawlessly but do not get discharged but a few times a year. I am told in this situation it is wise to actually exercise the battery about every 4 months by drawing them down below 50% DOD and then do a full recharge. In the summers they need to be topped with water and eq'ed monthly. Their float current runs around 2-3 amps during sun hours but float is turned off at night. I do a bulk each morning for 30 minutes before the sw4024 goes into sell mode. On average it takes more than 300 watts just to maintain this battery each day. AGM's would be a better choice for my situation if money were no problem.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

One downside to forklift batteries that hasn't been mentioned: they tend towards "monolithic". For some of 'em you need a forklift to move the battery!

So be sure and check for space and weight capacity as well as accessibility before going this route.
  • myhouse07
    myhouse07 Registered Users Posts: 17

Ok I will go with the new 24-85-13 GB they come with a 5-Year Warranty and 100% made in the usa. $4,111 right to my door is a sweet deal!

what do you guy think of this gizmo?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190429172274&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

looks like a good idea to me!

Thanks for all your help..

:D
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    myhouse07 wrote: »
    Ok I will go with the new 24-85-13 GB they come with a 5-Year Warranty and 100% made in the usa. $4,111 right to my door is a sweet deal!

what do you guy think of this gizmo?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190429172274&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

looks like a good idea to me!

Thanks for all your help..

:D

I wouldn't. 40 bucks just to monitor one cell? How many cells will you have? Different cells don't always use the same amount of water. Mark I Eyeball is a better tool I think.