Does any body use a UV sterilizer with a cut off switch to save electric.

beth
beth Solar Expert Posts: 32
Thanks again to all for answering my PV solar questions. I thought I would ask if any off griders are using a cut off switching system ( and possibly a water solenoid valve in conjunction with) to turn off their UV sterilizer when the water is not running to save electric. If so could you please describe it. Thanks

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Does any body use a UV sterilizer with a cut off switch to save electric.

UV sterilizers should have their own switch, because without water flow, the tube will overheat.
    I'm using a UV/ozone bubbler in the water tank (Triple O)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

I guess this is the company:

www.tripleo.com

But they only sell through dealers.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Beth,
    Why do you treat the water BTW?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in that boat. I've used a Sterilte (12gpm uv light) for many years and even before being off grid I put it on a timer to save power. It comes on 15 minutes before alarm wakeup and shuts off 30 minutes after lights out (9:45pm).

Some will say not to shut off the light, but I've never had a bulb fail from cycling, only old age. First bulb lasted 5 years.

The solenoid is overkill I think. If you have a teenager come in late...just tell them not to use any water, or trip the timer.

Ralph
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

All the UV lamps I have looked at specify a 1 year (8760 hour) life.

Is that not true?
  • Ralph Day

Hi Russ
    That's the spec for bulb life..especially if you're selling the bulbs. I check the bacteria count every 3 months (0), and clean the crystal the bulb sits in (not as often as I should), and have never had more than a zero count. Replacement every 3 years or so for me. THe water is soft (rain or softener-ed), but raw tests have some bacteria from dug well or cistern, so it's always going to be used.

Ralph
  • beth

I treat the water because I harvest rain water. I have heard as well that cycling the bulb on and off reduces its ability to produce strong UV something with the gasses inside the bulb. But I wonder if UV companies would rather its consumers keep their bulbs on 24 hours. But I am sort of thinking with a small unit that may be appropriate for me at 25 to 35 watts I may just keep it on. Still trying to figure this out. Thanks All.
  • Ralph Day

Beth,
    How about buying an extra bulb (you'll need it anyway) to have on hand...trying a switch or timer and watching your bacteria counts closely. If the cycling smokes the initial bulb, you'll have a replacement handy, than change the on/off cycling if needed?

Ralph
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    beth wrote: »
    I treat the water because I harvest rain water. I have heard as well that cycling the bulb on and off reduces its ability to produce strong UV something with the gasses inside the bulb. But I wonder if UV companies would rather its consumers keep their bulbs on 24 hours. But I am sort of thinking with a small unit that may be appropriate for me at 25 to 35 watts I may just keep it on. Still trying to figure this out. Thanks All.

Just because you harvest rainwater UV is not the only way to make it potable. Your grandmother might not have had electricity when she was young.

UV is a great way to treat water if it is needed. I use to do that myself until I found the data was not showing any benefit over the chlorine method my grandfather used. Just an FYI
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

We use a Trojan D max system in conjunction with a solenoid. We have lots of guests and don't want anyone leaving poorly. One low voltage switch controls our entire water system: instant hot water, pressure pump, solenoid and UV filter. To get through the night we use a precharged pressure tank after the solenoid to run the taps for hand-washing, etc. after bed-time. The 12v solenoid is operated at 7VDC to save power. The tank also acts a buffer when the sytem is turned on in the morning; avoids the possibility of water being used while the lamp heats up (about a minute or so).

Regards

Rob
  • beth

Thanks all, I called sterilight (trojan) in canada they said an on demand system of cycling on and off is not good but shuting don at night is ok. I ll skip the solinoid and just flip a ball valve at night.