TV suggestions.

rrroae
rrroae Solar Expert Posts: 46 ✭✭
With the new LED backlit TV's available now, it seems those of us off-grid will not have to limit ourselves to those small 13"- 20" tvs. I've been looking at some reviews at CNET and see SONY, Sharp and LG have some super efficient 46" LED tv's that run around 65 - 70 watts once calibrated. That's as much as my current 20" Insignia tv.

Has anyone bought or tested these new LED TV's and have any recommendations? Also thinking about waiting for GOOGLE TV that's coming out later this year which will integrate the Web with full browsers on TV's.

Here's the CNET chart for anyone curious.

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/?tag=contentMain;contentAux

Here's an advertisement for Google TV for Sony.

http://discover.sonystyle.com/internettv/

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: TV suggestions.

LED backlighting is slightly lower power then EL backlighting but 'piggy' power consumption by other circuitry can more then wash out any advantage.

You have to look further then just 'LED' backlighting for lowest consumption.

The CNET calibrated number is good because they set up a fixed reference lumens output per sq. area. Some manfacturers are cheating by stating power consumption at a low backlight level.

You can usually save power by backing down the backlight level, particularly in a darkened room.

Look for an LCD TV that has separate backlight and brightness control. Some have just a brightness control.

I have two of the LCD's shown in CNET review and in comparison I find their numbers for calibrated power a bit low. I think this is due to Rear Projection TV. They probably had to lower the other sets backlight level because the RPTV at its maximum brightness set the reference level.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

rc,
    i see the lcd model i chose in that list and it did pretty darn well and mine does have separate brightness and background controls. lg model 32lh20. the trouble is they came out with new models and i don't see those listed there. i think it is now the 32ld350 and has some better features for less money except in the power consumption area as it is now 110w and .1w standby and no energy star certification any more. my 32lh20 is energy star btw.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

If you have a Kill-A-Watt meter it shows dramatic changes as you adjust backlight level.

My Samsung LN52A750 as received was 245 watts. I backed down the backlight a bit, still satisfactory brightness level, and power dropped to about 180 watts.

Power is more variable if you have auto contrast on. I don't like auto contrast as it screws up black level when sat receiver feeds a 4:3 pillar view (4:3 SD with black side fill). Because sat receiver is doing the pillar fill, the TV thinks feed is always 16:9 and side bars are part of regular video so it rolls it into the auto contrast averaging.

Also on LED backlighting, not all LED backlight TV's do sub block backlight modulation which can save more power.

I don't put too much faith in TV energy star rating system.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭

OMG! Watching TV has become so complicated! :grr

Power is more variable if you have auto contrast on. I don't like auto contrast as it screws up black level when sat receiver feeds a 4:3 pillar view (4:3 SD with black side fill). Because sat receiver is doing the pillar fill, the TV thinks feed is always 16:9 and side bars are part of regular video so it rolls it into the auto contrast averaging.

What does all that mean? I know it's about aspect ratio but... I think I'd rather jump up to change channels or orient rabbit ears.:p

I remember when they were trying to make a computer that was "as easy to use as a telephone." Instead, they made the telephone into a computer! And who would've believed we'd all learn to use QWERTY? (Some beter that othors.)

I feel older than 'Coot. :cry:

Just kiddin'. I'll get there.... My son will take me.:cool:

K
  • rrroae
    rrroae Solar Expert Posts: 46 ✭✭

One that really got my attention off that CNET chart was the Sony EX700 46" inch tv. It has some really cool 'ECO' features such as presence sensor.

"If the sensor fails to detect movement after a specified period of time--you get a choice of every 5-minute interval from 5 minutes to 60 minutes, plus a 5 second "demo' mode--the picture goes dark while sound remains turned-on, and the TV's power consumption drops to about 26 watts (less than a third of the default picture-on power consumption). If the sensor detects movement again within 30 minutes, the TV turns back on. If not, it shuts itself off completely, cutting its power use down to nearly zero watts. "

To me, that's a great feature.

It also only uses 65 watts calibrated and 87 watts on the default settings which I find outstanding for a 46" TV. The only drawback I found was the streaming video for Netflix was marginal according to the review and that would have been what I mostly used the TV for. Think I'll wait for the Sony's with Google TV later this year for the integrated web browser. Still, pretty cool advances in tv coming around.

Here's the review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-bravia-kdl-46ex700/4505-6482_7-33949890-2.html?tag=txt;page
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i overheard at sears when i was looking for a tv for myself that the tvs with those sensors weren't working right. i guess if it fails you would want it to be defeatable and i see from the review that it is.
    it was remarkable how low i was able to get the power consumption of my 32lh20 and i didn't go through all of the things i could have to get it lower. i saw it at about the lower 30s in wattage and that was with the backlight's lowest setting and before i touched the regular brightness control. i didn't like it that low and i keep it midway which is roughly the low to mid 60s in watts, but it's nice to be able to take it that low if needed. my old 20in crt drew in the neighborhood of 40-50w.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting all the power saving methods. I'll have to spend some quality time with my 22" Visio which claims to have an avg of 32 watts (or so) but it seems to draw @45 - 50 on my messed up Kil-A-Watt.

Best power saving features on mine is the sleep auto shut off, finding the remote and the VGA cord always getting pushed behind or caught on something behind my (computer) selector power strip, so I'll just use the laptop screen... and the 02cool fan which creats interference with the reception!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.