George Foreman Grill on Solar...

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've had an abundance of electric lately, at least while the sun's shining...

So I've been playing with the 'extra' electric.

I picked up a small Foreman grill, it uses 760 watts, cooks from both sides, and has a thermostat...

It works great and has only about a 50% duty cycle!!!

Cooks a couple big burgers in 8 minutes, 3 minutes warming up and 5 minutes cooking! about the same for fish and pork, slightly longer for chicken.

Very effiecent cooking, a slight pain to clean up, cleannig around the raised grill things.
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: George Foreman Grill on Solar...

For those days with a lot of extra power I have a one element electric countertop "range". It's ok, but I'd forgotten how long it takes to heat up electric elements and the residual heat when shut off. Spoiled by propane range...heat on, heat off at the turn of the dial.

Electric element good for warming a pot of water, soup etc, but it's the on or nothing, not variable heat type, so real cooking is out of the question. A $15 experiment.

Ralph
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Crock pot
    `125-200 watts would work pretty well when the batteries are full. I could envision a way that once the crock started drawing from the batteries you could move the crock to the stove top, particularly a wood stove. Never tried it, but no reason it shouldn't work.

T
  • nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »

I picked up a small Foreman grill, it uses 760 watts, cooks from both sides, and has a thermostat...

Cooks a couple big burgers in 8 minutes, 3 minutes warming up and 5 minutes cooking! about the same for fish and pork, slightly longer for chicken.

Very effiecent cooking, a slight pain to clean up, cleannig around the raised grill things.

When my FG gets crusty I use a old dish cloth or paper towels soaked in water inside until it starts to steam. The crust just peels off.
  • retrodog
    retrodog Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »

I have a the one with removable panels. You can take them off the grill and then soak them in soapy water. Then the stuff just comes right off. Very easy to clean that way.