Artesian

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
My wife, son, and I are building a small (16 x 32) home hare in Washington. My question involves our well; it's about 125' and is Artesian. Flow is about 3 gpm.

What would be a good pump to use for both the house and for filling a 1-2000 water tank for the garden? The tank will be about 15' above the wellhead and 120' away. The house has a second half-bath in the attic.

I would prefer a 12vdc pump to move the water through a set of filters (iron and manganese) and a Reverse Osmosis system for drinking water.

Thanks for any help/

Comments

• russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Re: Artesian

İf it is an artesian well it may well have adequate pressure on it's own.

İf you mean to say spring then no pressure is available.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Water flows at about 3GPM but little pressure. I need to pump at a 7-10 GPM rate to the house at about 40-60PSI for the filter and the Reverse Osmosis system. Are 12-24VDC pumps any good? Reliable? Should I plan on another inverter and a 120VAC pump?
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You get what you pay for in DC pumps. The cheap ones will last if designed right for 3 to 5 years. A good 24Vdc or 48Vdc pump is going to cost up near $800 and up. It is hard to beat a generic AC powered pump for cost and longevity. Efficiency is where the DC pumps are unbeatable. See the store here!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

And there is the AC pump (typically 3 phase) and a Variable Frequency Drive Controller (VFD--don't know anything about company or product--just a link for education)... If your needs are large enough, may be a good solution for you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset