Artesian

SystemSystem Posts: 2,511 admin
My wife, son, and I are building a small (16 x 32) home hare in Washington. My question involves our well; it's about 125' and is Artesian. Flow is about 3 gpm.

What would be a good pump to use for both the house and for filling a 1-2000 water tank for the garden? The tank will be about 15' above the wellhead and 120' away. The house has a second half-bath in the attic.

I would prefer a 12vdc pump to move the water through a set of filters (iron and manganese) and a Reverse Osmosis system for drinking water.

Thanks for any help/

Comments

• russruss Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭
    Re: Artesian

İf it is an artesian well it may well have adequate pressure on it's own.

İf you mean to say spring then no pressure is available.
  • System2System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Water flows at about 3GPM but little pressure. I need to pump at a 7-10 GPM rate to the house at about 40-60PSI for the filter and the Reverse Osmosis system. Are 12-24VDC pumps any good? Reliable? Should I plan on another inverter and a 120VAC pump?
  • Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

You get what you pay for in DC pumps. The cheap ones will last if designed right for 3 to 5 years. A good 24Vdc or 48Vdc pump is going to cost up near $800 and up. It is hard to beat a generic AC powered pump for cost and longevity. Efficiency is where the DC pumps are unbeatable. See the store here!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]

• BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 29,976 admin

And there is the AC pump (typically 3 phase) and a Variable Frequency Drive Controller (VFD--don't know anything about company or product--just a link for education)... If your needs are large enough, may be a good solution for you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset